1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Anti theology....ah theology

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Scofield, Apr 12, 2004.

1. Scofield

Scofield New Member

I don't know what it is but recently I've run into a handful of people that deny theology as if it's evil. How should someone like this be delt with? Someone who denys the doctrines of God as non biblical?

Sco

2. Askjo

Askjo New Member

Theo means God.
    logy (logos) means study.

Theology means the study about God.

How would anyone deny the theology? Without studying about God, how would anyone know or understand about God? Nor seek God?

3. jshurley04

jshurley04 New Member

I'm not sure that I understand your question.

4. Daniel Dunivan

Daniel Dunivan New Member

I know what you mean. The people you are talking to are denying any type of speculative theology (that is their definition of theology). It is part of the "common sense" perspective of most Americans, and is also closely tied to the anti-intellectualism within our culture. These two themes can be traced to the earliest days of American life. In a book published in 2003 titled "Theology in America," Brooks Holifield has claimed that American religious history has always been about two issues (either in the affirmative or in the negative): Calvinism and what is called "common sense realism" (which comes to us through the Scottish philosopher Thomas Reid). Ironic isn't it that a rejection of speculative thinking can be historically traced to a philosopher. Holifield's book is an excellent resource for anyone wanting to grasp a basic understanding of the foundational history of american religious culture.

Grace and Peace, Danny [​IMG]

5. Scofield

Scofield New Member

That's what I mean.