1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

anxiety & Depression

Discussion in 'Health and Wellness' started by Preacher2015, Jan 4, 2016.

1. Preacher2015

Preacher2015 New Member

Is anxiety a real sickness or simply spiritual warfare?

• Like Like x 1
  2. evenifigoalone

evenifigoalone Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe firmly that it is illness. We have some idea of the biological effects and causes. There's still a lot we still don't know about mental health, but it is no stretch of the imagination to suggest that mental faculties have processes that can go wrong just as our physical ones do. Both are controlled or at the very least closely connected to biological functions.
    It can be part of spiritual warfare just as physical illness can be, but that is not what it essentially is.

There is some personal connection to this topic for me since I have battled with severe depression in the past.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Sue-Ellen

Sue-Ellen Active Member

I have struggled with anxiety and depression for quite some time. It is a terrible feeling. This time of year is most difficult for me. It is a real illness. I don't take medication for it. I just deal with in my taking one day at a time. Exercise and spending time with nature has always done wonders for me.

4. ApollotheBrave

Anxiety can be caused by numerous factors-- an imbalance in hormones, societal trauma, abuse and stress. It can happen at any time or it can be a symptom of another disorder. Perhaps the anxiety you speak of that relates to spirituality is panic attacks caused by existensial dilemmas in your life. Just a thought.

5. Bobbi Jessica

Bobbi Jessica Jesus loves the little children

This is really thought-provoking. There could be indicators either way, and perhaps really it's both. Or in some cases it might be one-or-the-other. The physical body does have needs and if someone is predisposed to having deficiencies in certain areas like their nervous system, I'd say it would make anxiety attacks more likely. On the other hand, the symptoms could also be the same in the result of spiritual attacks. It would be hard to diagnose unless you would get advice from a spiritually evolved person would could see what's happening in the spiritual dimension.

What are your personal thoughts or opinions to date Preacher2015?

6. heisrisen

heisrisen Active Member

I believe it's definitely spiritual warfare. I used to have anxiety attacks, but ever since I got saved it doesn't happen.

7. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Member

I think it's both an illness, and a spiritual warfare. I do have anxiety, and depression issues, and although I have personal relationship with God, there would be times that I would feel terrible. It's really difficult.

8. Sue-Ellen

Sue-Ellen Active Member

My anxiety started after my mom passed away. I took it very hard. I know she is in a better place now and that I will see her again someday but I miss her so much. We were very close and even though I am learning to deal with it I still have my days when it gets to be too much and I break down. If I start to think too much then my anxiety and depression click in and I go on a downward spiral.

9. Wanderer

Wanderer Member

My first anxiety attack occurred after one of my close friends passed away summer 2008. Ever since it has been a constant issue that can not be brought under control. My stress levels are through the roof and always in a constant state of worry.

Fully believe anxiety can be caused by a series of stressful events over time, or even something traumatic.

10. Sue-Ellen

Sue-Ellen Active Member

I definitely agree with you. Stressful or traumatic events can bring on anxiety. Before I lost my parents I never experienced anxiety.

11. Melanie

Melanie Active Member
    Site Supporter

I agree with the posters who say it can be both. Certainly having faith in the Lord has been of great benefit,but I still get anxiety attacks and a dose of the black dog now and then. Mind you .....I have had mental health problems all my life.

• Agree Agree x 1