1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Anxiety

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by JerryAK, Jun 12, 2007.

1. JerryAK

JerryAK New Member

I have been attempting to reenter the work force after 12+ years as a stay at home parent. The problem, I cant hold a job for more than a few months without quiting. Family members are recommending therapy.

I have made it this far walking with christ. I am convinced that God is making me stronger every day and I am not where he wants me yet.

Can one accept therapy and at the same time, give Christ credit for everything that he has done for me and my family?

2. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

Be honest and up front. Know what your passion is.

3. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    You most certainly can take therapy (medications, too) and at the same time give Christ credit for all of your blessings.

In my opinion, competent therapy is a blessing and proper medications and their careful use are from the Lord.

4. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

I take medication for anxiety and I have, in the past, gone to therapy for agoraphobia. I give God all the glory for the long distance I have traveled in this journey because I could not have done it without Him.

God does not want us to suffer. If there is help available, He wants us to get it.

5. PJ

PJ Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Absolutely.

6. JerryAK

JerryAK New Member

Thanks for the replies.

To me it seemed like the wrong path to take based on alot of scripture, but maybe not.

7. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

You're right Jerry.

8. JerryAK

JerryAK New Member

I know I am, hence the struggle

9. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

Can you elaborate on this response please?

10. PJ

PJ Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Please share and expound on your scripture references ...

#10 PJ, Jun 13, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2007
  11. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

Would you be willing to go to a seminary trained counselor? What about a seminary trained counselor that then went to medical school? Where is the line drawn?

Did God gift and call the physician? Go get the help you need and give God the glory for the provision!

12. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

I didn't and don't desire to offend those that have turned to therapy and chemicals for solutions to their anxieties but I did want to encourage Jerry to maintain the path that he is on. I thus apologize to those in advance which my response may offend. I also do not say these things from a perspective of perfection.

However, Christians that are fully trusting in God do not need to turn to the world's solutions for their mental and emotional needs. They only need to seek God and trust in Him, for it is He that is the God of comfort, it is He that is the God of peace and it is He that gives us up to a sound mind. If you're feeling anxious, spend more time in your prayer closet; if you're frightened, spend more time reading scripture. If you feel you need to talk to someone, seek out an elder brother or sister in Christ or your pastor. Bottom-line though, no pharmaceutical/sorcery shop or psych therapist can provide what the word of God can. A Christian who is afflicted with anxiety is akin to a Christian who is afflicted with any other sin. They exist, but part of the sanctification process is to eliminate such things from your Christian life.

Anxiety is...

ANXI''ETY, n. angzi''ety. [L. anxietas, from anxius, solicitous; L. ango. See Anger.]

1. concern or solicitude respecting some event, future or uncertain, which disturbs the mind, and keeps it in a state of painful uneasiness. it expresses more than uneasiness or disturbance, and even more than trouble or solicitude. it usually springs from fear or serious apprehension of evil, and involves a suspense respecting an event, and often, a perplexity of mind, to know how to shape our conduct. (Source: Webster's 1828)​

As Jerry indicated there is a lot of scripture that addresses this issue, but here is a sampling...

"Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof." - Matthew 6:34

"But even the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Fear not therefore: ye are of more value than many sparrows." - Luke 12:7

"Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ:" - Romans 5:1

"Now the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that ye may abound in hope, through the power of the Holy Ghost." - Romans 15:13

"Blessed be God, even the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies, and the God of all comfort;" - 2 Corinthians 1:3

"Nevertheless God, that comforteth those that are cast down, comforted us by the coming of Titus;" - 2 Corinthians 7:6

"Finally, brethren, farewell. Be perfect, be of good comfort, be of one mind, live in peace; and the God of love and peace shall be with you." - 2 Corinthians 13:11

"For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind." - 2 Timothy 1:7

"And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus." - Philippians 4:7

"But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death." - Revelation 21:8

"Rejoice in the Lord always: and again I say, Rejoice." - Philippians 4:4

13. JerryAK

JerryAK New Member

After thinking about a therapist on and off for almost 2 years I decide to make the appoinment. The same week my pastor's sermon said what ever struggle you have trust in Christ, one example he used was "a pattern of thinking" (which I translate as reasons I have anxiety)

Christ said "pick up your cross and follow me", I do and it works miracles.

There are many scriptures that give me direction, and when following them I acheive spectacular results.

What the scriptures tell me, that right now at this time in my life, I am experiencing this for a reason, to make me stronger. And experiencing it has made me stronger.

14. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    All good scriptures Rufus but applying them sometimes takes guidance.
    A therapist can help those in need to learn different strategies to reach the goal.

Why struggle for years (as Jerry already has) when given proper direction and assistance the goals can be obtained quicker.

Where does scripture say I have to do it alone with Christ?
    It seems to me we are to be a body and work together as such.
    When one is weak, others can reach in to help.

Rob

15. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

By the way I wasn't offended, I was just curious how you came to the stance you were taking.

Brother with all due respect I think it is dangerous to paint with such a broad brush. So you don't think there is any drug that is God's "solution?"

As a person that suffers from migraine headaches I can tell you there are numerous times throughout the year that I am EXTREMELY thankful for some Tylenol PM or Alieve.

I think probably the vast majority of anxiety could be treated without medication. I personally have taken a couple of differnt anti-anxiety drugs in my past and they did nothing for me.

But to say that ALL people don't need medication or a therapist is a little to broad in my opinion. And by therapist I don't necessarily mean licensed therapist, because I think there are a lot of folks that can do more damage than good and I speak from personal experience via a close family member that experienced it.

16. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

Anxiety is a condition where one is acutely concerned about what is going to happen in the future and their concern is disturbs the mind. A disturbed mind is not a sound mind and we know that it is God that gives us up to a sound mind.

Further, if we take the first scripture I listed, the word of God says not to dwell on these future events. I would see that to be a command of God. What is not included in Matthew 6:34 is instruction to go see a psychologist, psychiatrist or therapist. It also does not say to take mind altering medication. What it does say is to take no thought for the morrow, for the morrow will take thought for the things of itself. Obey God and there is no anxiety; disobey God and anxiety, therapists and pill-popping follow.

As to doing it alone in Christ, you have the body of Christ to help you and you have His word to help you. He is the God of all comfort. He doesn't get you 70% there and encourage you to take pills for the other 30%.

"Blessed be God, even the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies, and the God of all comfort;" - 2 Corinthians 1:3

17. JerryAK

JerryAK New Member

"A Christian who is afflicted with anxiety is akin to a Christian who is afflicted with any other sin. They exist, but part of the sanctification process is to eliminate such things from your Christian life. "

Yes, this is the process I am going through. However, the appoinment is this afternoon.

I can only put my faith in Christ and my wife who I love dearly, I will cleave to her like the scripture tells me, she is my virturous woman, my yamato nadeshiko, my life.

18. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

My concern wasn't for you being offended, though I am glad you weren't.

I believe the natural solutions are God's solutions and the unnatural ones are someone else's.

Did you try this first?

"Drink no longer water, but use a little wine for thy stomach's sake and thine often infirmities." - 1 Timothy 5:23

19. PJ

PJ Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    When my dad was ill for many long months, eventually learning he was dying of cancer, I was most definitely concerned. I wanted to be with him daily, no matter how painful it was watching him slipping away. You can bet your buttons I felt uneasy and disturbed. For the first time ever, I knew anxiety. Not in apprehension of evil, nothing related to conduct, not fearful or unbelieving. My dad was headed for glory land! Did knowing that take away all my pain and anxiety? Notta, we're human and we experience a plethora of human emotions. Was God in control? Yes! Did we seek God daily for comfort and peace? Yes! His promises never fail us. But do not assume anxiety is worldly, sir, unless you've walked at least 100 miles in someone else's shoes. I know nothing about therapy but I experienced anxiety in relation to my dad's passing.

Oh brother! :tonofbricks:

I agree. Get the help you need, Jerry.

#19 PJ, Jun 13, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2007
  20. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

While, I am empathetic towards your loss and struggle, you are describing mourning and sorrow, not anxiety. Further, I did not indicate that I was immune from this condition so while I can't walk in your shoes, I can walk in my own. I am not advocating that anxiety is worldly, it is a human problem and there are worldly "solutions" such as therapists and pills and there are Biblical solutions, such as finding peace in the God of comfort.