1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Any Birdwatchers out there??

Discussion in 'Travel Forum' started by cojosh, Dec 14, 2005.

1. cojosh

cojosh New Member

Is there any birdwatchers on this forum?

2. cojosh

cojosh New Member

Hello, birdwatchers............. [​IMG]

3. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

What exactly do you watch birds do?

4. cojosh

cojosh New Member

It's all based on being enthusiastic about wildlife, nature, etc. It can be for scientific purposes or just for fun.

It's sort of like an automobile enthusiast. This is a person who can identify cars just by glancing at them. You know, they can tell the make, model, and describe it in detail. Sometimes they'll run across a rare one, a classic antique car, and get excited.

That's what birdwatching is like. You identify the birds you see for enjoyment and every now and then you'll see something rare.

I just watch them long enough to identify them unless it is something unusual or the bird is doing something unusual.

I look at it as a way to relax, get away from all the hustle and bustle. It's a good hobby, it gives me a chance to get out and enjoy God's creation.

5. Seth&Mattsmom

Seth&Mattsmom New Member

I am a birdwatcher...but not as active as I was before having children.

I haven't seen any new ones lately. I have, however, heard the call of a phoebe for the first time and I want to see one now.

There are also a lot of birds of prey around and I need to get my field guide out to try to ID them.

Laurie

6. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    3 years ago while riding in the desert I came across two large owls sitting up in a large tree with a nest. I decided to climb the tree and look in the nest and found four eggs, they looked just like chicken eggs but had no narrow end. A few weeks later I went back and climbed up again, this time both the parents where hooting at me and diving at me, I only got a quick look but saw 4 white fuzzy babies. I had to get down before the parents knocked me down or I had to swat one to keep them off me as I was 30 feet up. I went back to the tree today and the pair of owls are still there. Too early for nesting but I’m considering keeping a watch and getting some pictures, although these owls are pretty big and not very friendly up there.

I also raise white racing pigeons and often will sit in the loft and watch the interaction between them, raising young, mating rituals, dominance fighting over claimed perches and nesting boxes. I can sit in the loft with the kids and tell them which pigeon is going to do what before it happens and explain why they did it. It is relaxing.