1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Any Here believe in New Covenant Theology?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Yeshua1, May 11, 2020.

1. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In the NCT, that tries to steer a middle pathway between reformed baptists and Dispy Ones?

2. Noah Hirsch

Noah Hirsch Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I do not believe in New Covenant Theology. As I understand it New Covenant Theology understands that whatever is not explicitly forbidden, called a sin, or listed as a work of the flesh that is forbidden in the Old Testament does not apply to us today. This I do not believe. I believe on the other hand, that those things which we have evidence from the New Testament to not apply to us do not apply to us. (Matthew 15:10-20, Mark 7:14-23, Acts 10:9-11:18, Romans 14, 1 Corinthians 7:17-19, Colossians 2:16-17, Hebrews 9:1-10, 10:1) There are things not explicitly mentioned as sin in the New Testament that it would still be sinful for us to do. (see Deuteronomy 22:5)

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    New Covenant Theology is a Christian theological position teaching that the person and work of Jesus Christ is the central focus of the Bible. Luke 24:44. Jeremiah 31:31-34.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are you in agreement with this theology?

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. Noah Hirsch

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    But Old Covenant Theology theologians also believe the person and work of Jesus Christ is the central point of the Bible. The belief that Jesus is the central point of the Bible is not something that sets someone who holds to New Covenant Theology apart from someone who holds to Covenant Theology. In the same way as believing that baptism is only for those who profess faith in Jesus Christ does not necessarily make someone a Baptist although Baptists hold to this belief believing that Jesus Christ is the central point of the Bible does not necessarily make someone a believer in New Covenant Theology, though New Covenant Theology might teach that He is the central point of the Bible.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are you in disagreement with the New Testament aka the New Covenant? Jeremiah 31:31-34.

7. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    @Yeshua1 and @Noah Hirsch,

This thread makes as much sense as asking if one agrees with Christianity. Identify the sect.

8. Noah Hirsch

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Do not those who hold to regular Covenant Theology also agree with Christianity? Is not the question which is a more faithful understanding of Christianity in the way we apply and interpret Scripture? Is it Covenant Theology, New Covenant Theology, Classic Dispensationism, Progressive Dispensationism, hyper-Dispensationism, or ultra-Dispensationism? Covenant theologians do not deny Christianity. I do not hold to what is called “New Covenant Theology,” nor do I on the other hand reject the New Testament.

9. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    New Covenant theology is not the only theology, nor even the best in in regards to how to view the NC!

10. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    All of those systems are Christians trying to piece together just what id the best approach to viewing the theology of the NC, and mine as of right now is 1689 federalist,, but do not discount any of them except for Hyper Cals and Hyper Dispy!

11. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Did not tell me anything. Something called New Covenant Theology is like saying to me Christian Theology or Baptist Theology. Identify a group.

12. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is no individual or group that fits all that I have come to believe. Strictly Biblical. My theology is New Testament aka Baptist. Premillennial, post-trib. Not a Calvinist, not Arminian. I believe in the mortality of the lost soul and the eternal torment of the lost. That Christ's full payment for sins was completed prior to His physical death. More issues. Bottom line, the written word of God is the sole authority. So referring to a theology as New Covenant is like saying to me, Baptist Theology.

13. Noah Hirsch

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    • Useful Useful x 1
  14. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    #14 37818, May 12, 2020
    Last edited: May 12, 2020
  15. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Perhaps NCT should be described and contrasted with Covenant Theology.
    For example both agree with the TULIP, making both bogus according to scripture.

What would be enlightening to me would be to compare and contrast NCT with Progressive Dispensationalism. PD sees the church as being grafted into Israel, with the result being termed "all Israel" in scripture. PD of course believes in the 1000 year reign of Christ on David's throne.

16. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I know plenty of dispensational Calvinists.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Calminian

Calminian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

It certainty is a nice sounding name. But from what I've read, I don't think it's a view I endorse. Apparently it embraces replacement theology and rejects premillennialism, which are two major problems for me. Maybe they find some creative way to embrace aspects of dispensationalism, also, but I'm wondering if they've found a middle road from the worst of both systems, rather than the best.

New Covenant Theology kind of reminds of the term Historical Creationism (Sailhamer). Sounds like a nice literal form of creationism—until you realize it's not.

All that said, the subject is new to me. I'm open to being more informed.

18. Marooncat79

Marooncat79 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Shaking my head no to this thread

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    NCT teaches the the Church was not in the OT, was fully operational in Acts at day of Pentacost, but big way to discern if someone is into that would be instead of the law of OT, they state under the "Law of Christ"

• Useful Useful x 1
  20. Noah Hirsch

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    What do you mean by Replacement Theology?