1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

ANY here receive a new Bible This Christmas?

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by JesusFan, Jan 3, 2012.

1. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

Just curious if any one received a new study Bible, or maybe some new bible software for the Holiday?

2. Baptist4life

Baptist4life Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Scofield NKJV Study Bible!! Anyone have it? Give me your thoughts on it.

[​IMG]

3. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

That is nice. I haven't heard anything positive or negative; maybe you can check it out and give us a report in two or three weeks ;-)
    Keep it under 200 pages.

Seriously, I got a New Living Translation. We're in a small town so Wal-mart is the retail economy here and they finally got some NLTs. I like to buy different translations just to compare if for no other reason. I'll let you know what I think. I haven't had time to read much yet. I have a bookshelf at the end of my bed that has about fifteen or so translations. I find that as I study in depth I compare the different translations and often I see things in one that was in the first translation, but I didn't catch it until I read another translation. This is one reason I have always liked good interlinear Bibles (depending on the translations.)

My daughter who has gone KJVO in the cult she attends actually asked if I could get her a NKJV. She is pretty stubborn, so this is a breakthrough for me because she will normally not get into a discussion about translations because they go her pastor's way or the highway. The one who believes that it is perfect because since 1611 it has been modified 7 times which is God's perfect number so therefore it is perfect and will correct all of the old manuscripts that we have........

4. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I've used the Scofield and didn't care for it. The notes are skimpy IMO for a study bible. But I like the NKJV.

I am reading the HCSB right now and am totally hung up on it.

5. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

Hung up as in "good" or "not good"?

I'm kind of banging my head between the Bible you have, the ESV and the NASB. It seems like those give me a fairly good range of translation styles and I can feel pretty comfortable with accuracy. I use the NIV for my kids and grandkids--that is why I'm interested in seeing how the NLT comes out because when I was a kid and the Living Bible (Paraphrase) came out we loved it because we could understand it.

My daughter's pastor keeps beating it into their heads that the NIV has a college level reading level and the KJV has a 5th grade reading level. Where he got those numbers --- well, I dare to guess; but he has been known to quote Ripplinger from the pulpit a lot--and THAT is SAD.:BangHead:

I will end this post by saying that I do not feel that the errors caused by paraphrasing in the Living Bible didn't mess up my mind or my theology and I probably read more from it than anything called a Bible during my youth. I changed to the NASB after talking with my pastor about accuracy and I was given a beautiful large leather NASB by my mother for Christmas that had only one column per page. It became my first and favorite Bible when I received it in my later high school years. I didn't find it that hard to read like a lot of people say; but, a lot of it depends on what you practice with by lots of reading.

6. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Hung up as in good. :laugh:

I like the way the HCSB reads, simply but not dumbed down. It retains the verses that are missing in the NIV (keeps them in the text, not just the footnote) and has a couple of unique differences that I like personally.
    For instance, the word doulos is translated as slave instead of servant, since that it what it means in the Greek. It also uses the word Messiah when the text is speaking to Jews. And it uses the name of God, Yahweh instead of LORD in the OT.
    I just started reading it a month or so ago, so I've still got lots to learn about it, but so far I'm really enjoying it.

7. following-Him

following-Him Active Member

I was given the ESV Study Bible :)

8. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

That's what I thought you meant, but I didn't want to put meaning to your words-- if I was wrong.

I also agree with your other reasons. I'm no scholar, but I feel as if they handled a few of the decisions with the highest chance of accuracy.

Thank you for the input. I think I'll read it as soon as I finish my ESV.

9. JesusFan

Did you get the crane to lift it up with, or the back supporter to carry it around with?

10. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

Have one and love it. I usually use the online version that came with it.

11. JesusFan

did you get the 'full size" edition, or smaller one, that has some of the study notes online?

12. Zenas

Zenas Active Member

NASB Study Bible (Zondervan), to replace the NASB (Zondervan) I had worn out.

13. JesusFan

That is the NIV study bible notes with NASB text?

14. Zenas

Zenas Active Member

I think it is, although I don't own a NIV and have not actually compared them.

15. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

Full size. Didn't know they made a smaller one. Mine cane with a code to allow me online access.

16. following-Him

following-Him Active Member

I haven't registered the online version of the ESV yet. I must do that today. I am finding the print a bit small though.

17. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

At my age, I'm finding the print too small in any new Bible I pick up. :thumbs:
    Seriously, I picked up a Bible (NIV) that has single columns. It is a little thick, but page size is good.

18. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

I bought a new ESV to use for preaching. Large text to make it easier to see while in the pulpit, not much else by way of study notes, etc. Just get in the way when I'm preaching.

http://www.christianbook.com/Christ...de=WW&netp_id=831774&event=ESRCG&view=details

Sad thing is, I have PLENTY of great Bibles already but I cannot get my hands on them. They are stored with the rest of my books at the rear of a 10 x 30 foot storage unit that is full from floor to roof with our household belongings awaiting a move into a new abode.

Like the version for preaching though. Just big enough.

19. JesusFan

Do you find that the ESV "treads" very much like the KJV?

I do notice that those 2 versions read very similiar fashion, quite a difference from even my NASB!

20. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

I find that many can follow in the ESV even if they are using a different version. That is unlike the various versions of the NIV or the HCSB.

Other than that, I like the clarity, the readability, though admittedly some other versions "read" easier. I prefer one that reads accurate inasmuch as it can be both accurate and readable -- the two do not always go hand in hand -- the most accurate ASV by way of example.

I also like a version that can can concord. Some of the more "thought-by-thought versions do not work well in that manner and so they are relatively useless to me as a pure study Bible.