1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Any Idea Where This Doctrine Originated?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by standingfirminChrist, Jan 1, 2006.

1. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Didn't Clarence Larkin the dispensationalist from the early 1900's teach soul sleep?

2. johnp.

johnp. New Member

Hello standingfirminChrist.

I have not heard of this before either. I would argue it this way.

1Cor 6:19 Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit...

Are you saying that He will leave His Temple again? :cool: I thought He said He would not leave us.
    But I think that is about how far it goes.

God is immanent anyway.

I believe it will be our bodies that are raised not something different. So for once I can agree with someone else. :cool: JOB 19:27 I myself will see him with my own eyes--I, and not another. How my heart yearns within me!

Who let that preacher in then?

john.

3. standingfirminChrist

Joseph, I am not the pastor of the church. I moved to Mississippi in June of last year and this man was already there.

This man was the pastor of the church for almost 30 years I was told, but up and left the church back in 2002 to go to interim in a church in Florida. He never taught such a doctrine in all those years, we were told by charter members.

The man was out of God's order when he left the church here in Mississippi. He did not even try to find a new pastor for the flock. From my understanding, the flock called in 6 different pastors as prospects for leadership over the past 3 years, but none were approved.

When this man came back from Florida, the congregation allowed him back in to minister on Wednesdays, but would not give him the pastoral position back. Good call if you ask me.

We have a new pastor coming in this Wednesday who has ministered to us a few services, been questioned extensively on Biblical issues, and has been approved of by a 11/2 vote of the people.

I guess my ministering will be less in this congregation now, but I will sit and learn once again under the new pastor.

4. genesis12

genesis12 Member

I'd love to be able to answer the original question, but I can't. It's heresy to me. Romans 8:11 has an entirely different interpretation and application.

5. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

I don't think you'll find an answer as to where it came from. It's an odd interpretation to say the least and at the most dangerous.

6. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

mcd..:
    "I don't think you'll find an answer as to where it came from. It's an odd interpretation to say the least and at the most dangerous."

Ok, I'll try again. Try this answer. It came right 'out of the pit'; it's a doctrine of demons. Will that work?
    Ed

7. standingfirminChrist

it is very dangerous, Ed.

Linda and I left the stopped attending services on Wednesday Nights until the church got rid of this man.

8. arkie pastor

arkie pastor New Member

Standing I fully understand lindas and your concern oabout this false doctrine being taught...and truly this is an unbibical teaching.

But I, (as a friend of you all in Christ) must ask you...Are you doing the right thing by just not attending??

You made the statement "until the church got rid of this man" Are you all not apart of this church???

I personally know yours and lindas stand for the Lord.....but I feel that to many today are taking the easy way out and running from false doctrines being taught....I believe the bibical example given to us by the beloved Paul is to stand.

9. Linda64

Linda64 New Member

Hidy Steve-

Ron & I didn't leave the church--we just stopped coming on Wednesday nights when this man was teaching. We felt that we could not sit under this false teaching. We stayed as long as we could tolerate it, but we finally had to draw the line somewhere. This man is no longer teaching on Wednesday nights and we are now attending Wednesday nights again.

Our new pastor is due to arrive back in the States this afternoon--PTL!!

10. standingfirminChrist

Brother Steve,

Thanks for your concern. We truly do value your advice and love you in the Lord.

Linda and I did not leave the church totally during this time, At first, we, and others, questioned the minister, but he always answered that we just were not studying the Word of God as we should and talked in a condescending manner to all.

We prayed about it, and felt it was best not to sit under that teaching. We continued to attend the Sunday services as usual. Great messages were preached during the Sunday services by 3 of the members who, we feel are qualified to minister, and also by an ordained minister who drove more than 100 miles to preach to the congregation every Sunday Morning for nearly 2 years.

I guess the reason this man was allowed to minister on Wednesday nights was his status as an ex-pastor of the congregation. And, as I stated earlier, in the 30 years he ministered as pastor, he never taught such a teaching as this.

We are again attending the Wednesday night services.

Blessings, my Brother.

11. arkie pastor

arkie pastor New Member

Ron & Linda

I'm glad this problem is now rectified. I was in no wise judging you for your actions....but it deeply concerns me when people will allow one teaching false doctrine to come between them worshiping their Lord in His church.

Love in Christ
    Steve