1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Any IFB Churches into giving??

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Soulman, Jan 9, 2009.

1. Soulman

Soulman New Member

I am from NH and understand that christians are to give not tithe. I know that churches place their congregations into bondage by preaching the tithe. They also rob us of the blessing of giving.

However, I belong to a church that teaches tithing. I have stated my case to the pastor that I give. I place my offering in an unmarked envelope and it is in cash. I personally put between 8-12% as an offering. My pastor accepts the way I give. He just asked for my word that I would participate in the support of the work. I agreed.

I have yet to find an IFB church that trusts God for its finances. All the churches I have found teach the lie of tithing. Are there any out there that will trust God and give what He lays on our heart??

2. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

Thats funny, I tithe and I am not in bondage. There is no reason to believe that Christian giving should not encompass tithing. I certainly have not been robbed of the blessing of giving.

Every church I know of trusts God to provide its finances. You best be careful be for calling churches the practice tithing liars. That is pretty strong language. Honestly I do not think you are looking for a civil discussion of this matter but are rather seeking to stir up strife. :BangHead:

3. Beth

Beth New Member

You're right

Soulman, I'm from NH also and fellowship at an Independent Baptist Church in Merrimack.

What we find is that if you ask the pastors to find the Scriptures for tithing, they will achnowledge that what they really mean is giving. Basically, it has been our experience that while they use the word tithing, it is really redefined, in their own minds, to giving.

Tithing is part and parcel of the Old Covenant, not the New.

PM me if you attend the same church as us, LOL! We can probably put your name at ease on this issue.

Your sis in Christ,
    Beth

4. Spinach

Spinach New Member

Let the record show that I am IFB.

We tithe a 10%, but use it as a starting point. Other offerings/mission giving is above. We use the tithe as a standard and go from there. In recent studying, we do not feel that a 10% tithe is required, but most of the IFB churches I've been in would stumble at that liberty.

In my experience, I only know of one IFB church who is a REAL giving church. They do not preach tithe or faith promise, yet they've outgiven any place that I know. Our home church pushes 10% tithe and faith promise and they struggle financially. It may be a trend. I don't have many churches to go by, so I don't accurately know.

5. Beth

Beth New Member

Yes

I think it is fine to use the tithes from the Old Testament as models...but not as the "law", so to speak. If you really wanted to emulate the tithes, you have to do ALL the tithes, which were in actuality three mandatory tithes, or tenths, from the Old Covenant.

It is all a matter of the heart....where your treasures are, there your heart will be also! Matthew 6:19 ΒΆ Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal:
    20 But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal:
    21 For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.

You can't mandate through external laws the heart....only the mind of Christ living within the saved can do this!

6. SBCPreacher

SBCPreacher Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I may be out of line here because I am not IFB - I'm SBC - but I do not preach a mandatory tithe or mandatory giving at all, and God continues to lead His people to give, and our church is doing well financially. I believe that God's people will give. How can we, knowing all that God has done for us, not be willing to give to his local church?

I don't check anyone's giving records, and NO pastor should ever do that. Any pastor who checks giving records and tells hiss people to pay up needs to change jobs!