1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Any Legalist out there??

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by Grasshopper, Apr 25, 2002.

1. DocCas

DocCas New Member

Judiastic legalism, as condemned in Galatians, is of course, the only legalism mentioned in the bible. However, the word "legalism" has been co-opted by those who don't have a mature understanding of the word as it is used biblically, and it is now applied to Phariseical legalism. I don't like the co-opting of the term, but we still have to deal with the concept, regardless of what name you call it. So, "legalism" of the Phariseical type, will have to suffice until we can coin a new word or phrase which is accurate, biblical, and acceptable to all parties to the discussion. Arguing the semantics will not make the problem go away. [​IMG]

2. Grasshopper

Grasshopper Active Member
    Site Supporter

I guess the answer to my original question is a big YES.

3. Headcoveredlady

Headcoveredlady New Member

Grasshopper,
    So , what is your definition of a legalist since you say you have identified some here?

Karen,
    You are right wearing modest clothing does not mean that we will be sweet in our spirit and the lack of wearing them does not mean a woman cannot be sweet either. In fact I know one lady who serves the Lord diligently who does not dress in modest apparel. She wears jeans and has a man's haircut, but she witnesses to all she meets and she gives much to the poor.
    However, I have found in my personal experience that when I began to wear loose flowing garments that did not accentuate my shape or reveal parts that are sensual to men I began to have people approach me and ask me things like, "What church do you go to?", "Can I have a tract." "I know you are a Christian." This NEVER, EVER happened to me before I dressed this way.
    I know that people do judge from the outward appearance. So, when people see us they will automatically classify us into a certain category whether they mean to judge or not. 1 Sam 16:7 says that man does look upon the outer appearance.
    So, when people get to see us for a short time or only once I would like that when they see a Christian woman they can tell she is a Christian woman. For me this has worked great for witnessing, as I have said I have had many people approach me since covering up myself.

HCL

4. hrhema

hrhema New Member

Paul wrote to the Galatians: "For you, dear friends,have been called to live in freedom-not freedom to satisfy your sinful nature."

He went on to tell the Galatians to live according to their new life in the Holy Spirit then you won't be doing what your sinful nature craves. He also warned them they will reap what they sow and that those who live only to satisfy their own sinful desires will harvest the consequences of decay and death. He went on to tell us that we are to live to please the spirit.

Who do we think inspired Paul and Peter to write about women's dress being modest? It was the Holy Spirit. In obeying this a woman is living to please the spirit and not her sinful flesh that wants show off.

What I find strange is when people use Galatians as a defender of their freedom they fail to mention that the reason Paul even wrote Galatians
    was because of the issue of circumcision.

For the life of me I cannot understand where anyone can come up with the idea that Grace allows Christians to live any way they want to, to be carnal and worldly and it be pleasing to God.

d

5. Chris Temple

Chris Temple New Member

Who here, has said that? The problem begins when believer #1 starts telling believer #2 that his/her (Fill-in-the blank-behavior), which is not directly addressed in Scripture, is un-Christian.

6. Mark-in-Tx

Mark-in-Tx New Member

Who here, has said that? The problem begins when believer #1 starts telling believer #2 that his/her (Fill-in-the blank-behavior), which is not directly addressed in Scripture, is un-Christian.</font>[/QUOTE]Amen!!! Amen!! To me being unchristian means rejecting Christ and not listening to the Holy Spirit. Oh and no human is the Holy Spirit!!
    I don't care how good of a Christian you are. Another way of saying what I hear Chris saying is "Let God be God."

7. dave brauer

dave brauer New Member

Chris Temple said: "let's wind this thing down, it's going nowhere". I disagree. I appreciate all the responses. My original was the 3rd or 4th in this thread and I was able to appreciate the responses of headcoveredlady, ernie, doccassidy, thesundancekid *smile*, and others. I appreciate the direction & discussion here. You've made excellent points. Well done!

8. Michael C. Lewis

Michael C. Lewis New Member

Hi Guys,
    I too, believe we should be "separate" from the world, as the Scripture teaches . . . but, should we be "separate" to the point of exclusion?

We sing a song most of you know during our altar call at church. It's called "Just As I Am". And I was wondering, do you who believe in dressing certain ways confront those in your church who don't agree with your standard of dress? Or do you accept them "just as they are"?

I believe in "compelling them to come in", and letting God clean them up (ie. 2 Corinthians 5:17).

Convictions are personal, and if we're not careful, they become a source of pride. And we all know that "pride goeth before a fall."

The Holy Spirit needs no help in bringing people around to His way of thinking.

It's okay to tell people why we do the things we do (ie. dress appropriately, etc.), but it's not okay to tell them they must conform to our personal convictions!

Convictions occur when the Bible doesn't give a "Thou shall", or "shalt not" on a particular topic. They are basically opinion based on Biblical principles.

Let's follow Paul's advice:
    This is all IMHO.

In Christ,
    Mike

9. Headcoveredlady

Headcoveredlady New Member

Mike,
    Of course when we come to Christ we come as we are. I am embarrassed to think of what I wore for my baptism. That dress would not even fit a six year old properly!
    When we come to Christ we are lost, just as we are. But, I am concerned about women who profess Christ who come week after week, year after year and never seem to learn. Now, I know we are all at different places in our walks with Christ. But, when a lady professes Jesus and she appears as a prositute what does this say to the watching world? Many times all they have to go by is the outer appearance.

HCL

10. hrhema

hrhema New Member

The whole issue of legalism is that a lot of Christians want to go through life living any way they choose without any restraints. They talk about freedom in Christ and grace.

Now who out there is going to say that the God of the Old Testament who is also the God of the New Testament would have told the women of old not to bare the thigh and to dress modestly is going to now under grace tell women it is alright to dress any way they want to.

What people forget is that the God of the Old TEstament is the Father of Jesus and the same God today as he was then. He has not changed. He is the same. If it was wrong then it is wrong now.

We take the term legalist or legalism and we put the label of it to anything we don't want to believe in or accept or something we don't want to conform to. This is exactly why we have preachers across this nation who commit so many immoral acts of adultery or have homosexual relations and are still in the pulpits preaching with people who claim to be Christian backing their ministries.

God said the nation of Israel had forgotten how to blush and so it is with America.

We have so anesthetized ourselves with Television and other forms of media to the point where nothing we see makes us blush. It seems ok for women to come to church dressed immodestly.

A poll has been taken surveying unbelievers and again the one thing mentioned by them was that they feel like the church is hypocritical because they look so much like the world.

11. Grasshopper

Grasshopper Active Member
    Site Supporter

Just curious, did anyone listen to the message?