1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Any one here believe a full three days, and nights?

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by ituttut, Mar 26, 2005.

1. ituttut

ituttut New Member

Why do you believe it was Friday? I'm willing to look at any scripture that will disprove His three day internment.

The one’s who brought this Holy Day into their church, and all the other churches fell for it, should explain what scriptures they are using even to observe this day. Then if they can do that, then explain to all why they don’t believe the Words of Jesus.

What is puzzling to me is why everybody follows the lead of the Catholic church??

I gotta' get some shut-eye. Talk to y'all probably tomorrow. Christian faith, ituttut Galatians 1:11-12

2. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Remembering that the Jews begin their days at sunset, I believe Jesus ate the paschal meal TUESDAY EVE, & all the other events, including His death, occurred during this Tuesday. He was placed in the tomb shortly before sunset Tuesday, the beginning of Wednesday, & was in the tomb Wednesday, Thursday, & Friday nights, and Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday days, resurrected shortly before sunset Friday. He was ALREADY RISEN when the women came to the tomb Sunday morning. There's nothing in Scripture indicating He'd JUST risen when the women arrived.

The HIGH SABBATH to which John referred was the HOLY CONVOCATION called for in Exodus 12 for the 2nd day of Passover Week. The Jews called EVERY religious observance day a Sabbath, regardless of which day of the week it fell on.

3. Charles Meadows

Charles Meadows New Member

This has come up before. I favor the Friday position but I admit that there is certainly some room to argue.

My question would be why the Friday date is being debated. The fact that it says "three day and three nights" in my mind is in itself NOT a reason to seek an alternate day since this was likely idiomatic speech referring to the Jonah prophecy. That would be a prime example of the 21st century western mind forcing itself on the ancient Jewish text.

4. ituttut

ituttut New Member

Hi cubeX. Regardless of what is put forth debunking one full light, and one full dark, it doesn’t make any difference how many minutes are counted in a day, for when the light and the dark are combined, it adds up to one Whole Day.

How can we prove this? God tells us from the very beginning what a night represents, and what a day represents, and the both represent one thing. They represent a half of the whole represents a half, and becomes whole when the other half is added to it. When dark is joined with light, it becomes a whole day.

Genesis 1:4-5, ”And God saw the light, that it was good: and God divided the light from the darkness. 5. And God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And the evening and the morning were the first day. If we believe anything other than this, then we must be wrong. Jesus said it in the beginning from heaven, and tells us again on earth that He hasn’t changed His meaning since the beginning.

But is this how His nation determined what comprised a full day? Most definitely. But since we doubt Jesus’ Word, lets see if His nation doubted His Word on this singular issue. And while we are at it, just for kicks, let’s see how the heathen understood what a day represents. But not after scripture was written that we have in our Bible today. We must go to what His Word contains.

Esther 4:16, “Go, gather together all the Jews that are present in Shushan, and fast ye for me, and neither eat nor drink three days, night or day: I also and my maidens will fast likewise; and so will I go in unto the king, which is not according to the law: and if I perish, I perish.”. Now let’s go to a Gentile for His take on the matter. I Samuel 30:12-13, ”And they gave him a piece of a cake of figs, and two clusters of raisins: and when he had eaten, his spirit came again to him: for he had eaten no bread, nor drunk any water, three days and three nights. 13. And David said unto him, To whom belongest thou? and whence art thou? And he said, I am a young man of Egypt, servant to an Amalekite; and my master left me, because three days agone I fell sick..

From the above the only conclusion I can come to is that all the world believes as they look up above, there is a moon, and a sun. This is how we can tell time. Does not one full turn, before another begins, equal one “full” day consisting of ½ dark, and ½ light? Doesn’t this tell us that some in the dark has instituted for the gullible, there intention to deceive to bring them to their Idol Worship, giving them half truths, to bring them to half days worship? I don’t like being this “blunt”, but His Words cut to the sum of things. They must, to jog us from our drugged sleep without His Word. Christian faith, ituttut Galatians 1:11-12.

5. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Mountainrun, What was the passover in 34 AD?

Can someone explain to me how you squeeze 3 days and nights out of a Friday death and burial with a Sunday morning resurrection? I can see the days- Friday, Saturday, Sunday... but not the nights- Friday night, Saturday night, ?.

I don't really have a strong opinion but both Wednesday and Thursday seem to fit 3 days and nights better.

6. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh, another thing. I thought scholars had settled on 4 BC or maybe 4 AD as Christ's birth year now?

Would that make the relevant years to look at 28, 29, and possibly 30... or else 36, 37, and 38?

It would definitely seem that the birth year comes into play.

7. ituttut

ituttut New Member

The rabbis don't believe in their Messiah either. False witness' are of no help here.

Also, we do not have to know the year. All that is necessary is to believe what Jesus said. You have spent some time on your time- table (or somebody did), but it is wrong. We know it is wrong for it does not collaborate with Jesus’ Word.

For the heck of it, when you find the time, just try to fit what Jesus says and start on any day of the week, and use our 24-hour day (it makes no difference how many minutes are used, it will still constitute a full day). By using three full days, and the day beginning at our 6PM, find the one ending of the day that He was placed in the grave. It must be before the beginning of the next day (6PM), because the next day after Passover is always a High Sabbath, and Joseph, or Nicodemus can do no servile work on such a Sabbath.

Next the 3rd day must end on a Saturday, or if you wish, try ending on a Sunday. The 3rd day must be counted to end before the actual beginning of the next days striking of 6PM. You can use anytime between 3PM and 6PM, but time must be allowed to take Him from the Cross and transported to the Tomb, and the stone rolled into place.

Should you do this, or anyone else, one will find we know exactly the day, and very close to the minute His Body was placed into the Tomb.

Another interesting thing I have never seen discussed, that some one might wish to start a thread. What time did Jesus’ ”spirit and soul” enter into Paradise, and what time did they return to His dead Body to make alive again?

8. ILUVLIGHT

ILUVLIGHT Guest

Christ was in the grave 3 days and nights. What Roman Catholics call good friday was actually a high Sabath.
    Joh 19:31 The Jews therefore, because it was the preparation, that the bodies should not remain upon the cross on the sabbath day, (for that sabbath day was a high day,) besought Pilate that their legs might be broken, and that they might be taken away.
    That means Christ was burried on thursday just before sundown because Friday was a special Sabbath. Saturday was still the regular Sabbath.

May Christ Shine His Light On Us All;
    Mike

9. mountainrun

mountainrun New Member

QUOTE]Originally posted by Pistos:
    Isn't it they are using Hebrew Calendar not Gregorian Calendar?... As my memory stands right, Hebrew calendar is somehow similar with Hijrah or Hijri Calendar of the muslims...

How could we be certain with those dates? :confused:
    [/QUOTE]

Hmm. Ancient rabbis are discounted about everything they say because they were wrong about Jesus.

The Hebrew calendar must be wrong because it does not support our contentions.

{The U.S. Naval observatory has affirmed the accuracy of the Hebrew calendar of the era of being within 2 to 3 hours. You can be reasonably sure of these dates.}

I have merely presented another bit of information. I have no desire to quibble over the proven accuracy of the calendar.

I would remind those who prefer Wednesday a crucifiction the the disciples on the road to Emmaus told Jesus on Sunday that "this is the third day since all of these things have taken place.

Maybe you can take up your argument specifically with those who say three literal days mean Thursday.

Thursday. I'm not sure I would use the two different years of Jesus birth to prove anything, though it certainly may come into play.

The date of Tiberius's reign is not in dispute so we know that Jesus could not have died in 28 or 29 A.D. if John began his ministry in 28-29 A.D.

Jesus had a three and a half year ministry after John baptized Him.

This is getting a bit more than I want to take on right now. I'm tired and have to go to work tonite.

You fellows enjoy the discussion.
    I'll check back tomorrow.

MR

10. mcgyver

mcgyver New Member

Here is something that I think that we perhaps have all overlooked: The Jewish method of keeping time and counting days.

When I was a new believer, I couldn't figure out how the bible could be true, saying that Christ died on a Friday, was resurrected on Sunday, and still have three days elapse.

So, I checked with Rabbi's and this is what I was told:

First, the Jewish evening began with the appearance of the stars, and morning began with the appearance of the North Star; although some Jewish scholars say merely the appearance of "night and light"........

Secondly, in counting days; any part of the day that you're in counts as a whole day, the same with the evening. To wit: For us, the third day would be Monday...Friday..count three days=Monday. By the Jewish method however, the third day would be Sunday......

By the Jewish method of counting days; (using the appearance of the stars and the North Star).....

Friday He was taken off the cross and buried before sunset=1 day & 1 night. Saturday for the Jews started Friday evening at sunset, and Friday is inclusive....The Jewish day, remember starts 6 hours earlier than our day, and the night is included in the reckoning.

Saturday from the appearance of the North Star to the next evening= 2 days and nights.

Sunday began on what we would call Saturday evening with the appearance of the stars, and ended with the appearance of the North Star shortly before daybreak..= 3 days & nights.

I know, it sounds a little bizzare, but I'm sure that there are web sites available that will back up those Rabbis who told me this so many years ago.........

11. PASTOR MHG

PASTOR MHG New Member

Being a literal 3days 3nights person myself, I have put quite a lot of time in on this subject.
    A Wednesday Crucifixion is the only Biblical explanation...the best way to come to this conclusion is to start at Palm Sunday and watch the week unfold before you. Matthew 21 - 26...the Gospels harmonize beautiflly.

The "Good Friday" theory is based completely on a misunderstanding of the "Sabbath."

Thanks for reading,
    Max

12. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

"day and night" was a Jewish idiom that just meant the day. It is just like an American saying he went shopping with his wife all day. Although that probably means 14 hours (right guys), it doesn't really mean 24 hours.

Come on people. It really isn't that hard.

Was Jonah in the whale for exactly 72 hours and no seconds? Sure guys.

13. Kiffen

Kiffen Member

I agree with Daniel. I think saying it is 3 literal days and 3 literal nights is actually putting a Western Europeon understanding of days, time into the Biblical text.

Jesus did not rise on the 4th day.

Matthew 12:40
    For as Jonah was three days and three nights in the belly of a huge fish, so the Son of Man will be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.

Matthew 16:21 (KJV) From that time forth began Jesus to show unto his disciples, how that he must go unto Jerusalem, and suffer many things of the elders and chief priests and scribes, and be killed, and be raised again the third day.

Matthew 17:23 (KJV) And they shall kill him, and the third day he shall be raised again. And they were exceeding sorry.

The literal 24 hour concept must have Jesus rising on the 4th day. 3 days and 3 nights is not referring to a Western understanding of days and nights. That is the problem for Westerners who put Western thought into a Middle Eastern text that does not have a 24 hour concept.

14. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Explain how you know this.

15. DeaconLew

DeaconLew New Member

72 hours. I agree with Pastor MHG: The "Good Friday" theory is based completely on a misunderstanding of the "Sabbath." There was something called "high sabbath" that is different from the normal sabbath day (our saturday). (If you would like more info please PM me).

Anyway 72 hours starting "Thursday" morning (6pm Wednesday for Gentiles), until 6pm Saturday (Gentile time).

What say ye?
    -DeaconLew

16. Kiffen

Kiffen Member

17. IveyLeaguer

IveyLeaguer New Member

Agreed. Jewish methods and customs are too often overlooked when we interpret the Bible, especially the New Testament. And thanks for the detail.

18. KeithS

KeithS New Member

Speaking of Jewish methods and customs...

Did a lesson Sunday on the resurrection that dealt with Paul's use of the term "firstfruits" in 1 Cor. 15:20. Jewish Passover was the 14th day of the month. 15th through the 21st was the feast of unleavened bread. On the Sunday following the Sabbath which occurred during the feast a wave offering was presented as a "firstfruits" ceremony. It was a sheaf of grain from the field before it was fully ripened. Offered to thank the Lord for a bountiful harvest (which was celebrated at the Feast of Harvest (Pentecost) 50 days later).

Long story short...Christ is the firstfruits wave offering given on our behalf looking forward to the promised resurrection (full harvest) to come.

Now - we know Jesus celebrated Passover with the disciples. We also know that Jesus had to be removed from the cross before the next day because it was a "preparation" day. I would suggest that the "preparation" day was the Sabbath that occurred in the middle of the Feast of Unleavened Bread but after the Passover meal on the 14th. This would make for a Friday burial and Sunday resurrection.

19. mountainrun

mountainrun New Member

Explain how you know this. </font>[/QUOTE]This is known from the number of passovers Jesus is recorded to have celebrated after he began his ministry.

This thread is chasing so many rabbit trails I believe I'll start another one on this topic.

{Some people will grasp at any straw to sustain their contention so it gets a bit crowded with different topics on a thread sometimes.}

MR

20. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Matthew, Mark, and Luke all mention only the Passover during which Jesus was crucified. John mentions 3, and at least one other 'festival.' Since if you read only the first 3 "gospels" you would conclude Jesus' ministry lasted only during the one Passover, but then must accept there were 3, at least... how do you know it was only 3 Passovers? Besides that, how are yhou so sure about that half-year?