1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Any one here believe a full three days, and nights?

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by ituttut, Mar 26, 2005.

1. IveyLeaguer

IveyLeaguer New Member

Yeah, I've always heard He had to be taken down from the cross by sundown, which also agrees with mcgyver's position.

2. ituttut

ituttut New Member

Knowing Jesus was placed in the Tomb on the preparation Day (Deuteronomy 21:23 and other references), and Thursday was High Sabbath Day, Friday was,....well, a Friday. Our first reference to the women at the Tomb is in Luke 23:55-56, on Wednesdayand there would be more visits by women to the Tomb. Sometime before Wednesday 6PM, they returned and prepared spices to be ready for His body on Sunday. On the High Sabbath day Thursday they prepared the spices and ointments they then rested that night and the next day without much sleep I would say. They could not take the preparations to His Body Friday account the guards, and the Tomb was sealed. The Tomb had been sealed on Thursday the Bible tells us, and guards would be on duty around the clock for three days beginning on Thursday through to Sunday. They were still there when the angel rolled away the stone, and were almost scared to death.

We know from Matthew 28:1-7 Jesus was already gone when the women arrived. The Saturday Sabbath was drawing to a close as the Gates opened, and they hurried to the Tomb, and the first day of the week, Sunday is beginning. They didn’t quite make it on the dot as Saturday became Sunday. They missed the convergence of the two days at which point Jesus Christ had to arise to stay true to His Word of three full days in the Tomb. I also don’t believe the “keepers” saw, as they were as dead according to scripture, and could not see, hear, feel, smell or speak.

That now leaves us with Marks account, in 16:1. Is there a difference in Matthew 28:1, and Mark 16:1? Yes, and it is quite a bit, but becomes clear with the help of John, upon close scrutiny. When the Mary’s came in Matthew they came to see, and it was dark. To know what transpired for Mary Magdalene we go to John 20.1 who gives quite a bit more detail while it was still dark on the beginning of that Sunday after 6PM. In Mark we see the women make their second trip, and they bring with them this time their preparation’s and it is now ”very early in the morning the first day of the week, they came unto the sepulchre at the rising of the sun.” Christ arose a good 12 hours before this event takes place in Mark. No need to try and make Gods days into half days. Three full days works just fine. Christian faith, ituttut

[ March 30, 2005, 03:08 AM: Message edited by: ituttut ]

3. mountainrun

mountainrun New Member

Alcott, check the 3 1/2 year thread I started.
    Someone has done much more research on this than I have, so I used their scholarship.

{I swear. One guy here even questioned the accuracy of the Hebrew calender because it didn't support his three full day contention.
    Problem is that God used the Hebrew calendar Himself to set the Holy days in the Law.}

If you want to prove there were more than the stated Passovers, that will be your problem.
    There is nothing to indicate there were more.
    Adding to them until you get the desired day for the Passover in the year of your choosing is stretching it a more than a bit.

MR

4. Bro. James

Bro. James Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Deaconlew did the same "homework" as I.

Jesus could not have died on "good Friday". Given: tomb empty on Sunday at sunrise, 72 hours in the grave, and no one hanging on a tree on the Sabbath(in this case a "high Sabbath).

Jesus died on Wed. afternoon--He arose 72 hours later--Saturday afternoon.

Shall we have sunset services?

Selah,

Bro. James

5. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That contradicts Jesus' statement in Matthew 17:23... "and they will kill Him, and He will be raised on the third day." And they were deeply grieved." If He died on Wednesday, then Saturday was the 4th day.

6. Archeryaddict

Archeryaddict New Member

I think some people should read their Bible!

probably wouldnt hurt to learn a little about Hebrew customs as well.

Yeshua was Crucified on the pass over

Jesus was put into the Tomb just before Sabbath which to us would be friday evening at sun set

Jesus body was in the Tomb only one day.

all the Gospel accounts support this

7. mountainrun

mountainrun New Member

Some support a Wednesday crucifiction, which would have the triumphal entry taking place on a Saturday Sabbath.

{God specified that the passover lamb be chosen on the 10th day with the passover on the 14th day in Exodus 12.}

This would have Jesus breaking the Sabbath by riding an animal per Exodus 20.

Your thoughts?

MR

8. Archeryaddict

Archeryaddict New Member

But the Bible does not.

As for Jesus breraking his own commandment, It did not happen.
    thats my thoughts

9. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    But the Bible does not.
    </font>[/QUOTE]I beg to differ.

Christ was Crucified on the preparation day for the Feast of the Passover. The preparation day was on Wednesday, 14 Nisan, in 31 AD. If we go five years in either direction, back to 26 or forward to 36, no date fits the biblical requirement for a Sunday resurrection. So, I am of the opinion that Christ was crucified on Wednesday, and was buried just before sundown, which the Jews would consider the beginning of Thursday, which, as the first day of Passover would have been a special Sabbath or "high day" (John 19:31 cf Lev. 23:6-7).

Wednesday sundown to Thursday sundown. Day 1. (high day)

Thursday sundown to Friday sundown. Day 2. (The ladies buy the spices for the "embalming" of Jesus, Mark 16:1)

Friday sundown to Saturday sundown. Day 3. (The normal weekly Sabbath so the ladies couldn't "embalm" Him.)

When the ladies arrived just before sunup (Matt 28:1) Jesus was already Resurrected. He arose sometime just after sundown Saturday which, by the way the Jews reckoned time, was Sunday, the First Day of the week.

This is the only sequence of events that I can find that fits both the calendar and the bible requirement for 3 days and 3 nights in the heart of the earth with a Sunday Resurrection.

10. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Then was Jesus wrong when he said he would rise on the third day? ... Matthew 16:21, 17:23. 20:19; Luke 9:22, 18:33, 24:7,46.

11. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    "The Third Day" is a figure of speech known as "synecdoche" which expresses one idea using another.

If we compare scripture with scripture we note that Numbers 19:11, 12, tell us that anyone who came into contact with a dead body was unclean and must purify himself "on the third day."

In Leviticus 7:17, 18, we see that the flesh of the peace offering was to be burned "on the third day" because after that it became unfit for food.

Talmudic tradition (as recorded by John Lightfoot in the 17th century) taught that the mourning for the dead culminated on "the third day" because the Jews believed the spirit was not departed until then (in other words, after three days they were sure the person was really dead and not just in a coma). That is also why embalmment did not take place until after three days according to Herodotus (Herodotus: ii. 86-89).

The Jews did not accept evidence as to the identity of a dead body after three days due to the fact that corruption by the third day was so bad that identification was much too difficult.

The term "on the third day" was a Jewish idiom meaning that death was, by that time, absolutely certain and the person was not simply in a trance or a coma.

The term "the third day" was the Jewish proverbial evidence that death was certain and there was no longer hope of life. But Christ said He was that Hope in human form and that death, even on "the third day" had no power to hold Him.

Understanding Jewish idioms goes a long way in helping to understand what the bible is saying.

12. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

Jesus SAID three days and three nights.
    Jesus created the earth. It was He who gave us what a day is and what a night is. You can find it in Genesis. The principle of first mention apllies here, (as it does in every other case).

No reason NOT to believe three days and three nights. There really is no wiggle room here.

In HIS service;
    Jim

13. mountainrun

mountainrun New Member

Christ did not rise on Saturday, as I have seen posted here. Remember what the disciples told Jesus before they recognized Him on the Emmaus Road...

Luke 24:17-21 And he said unto them, What manner of communications are these that ye have one to another, as ye walk, and are sad? (18) And the one of them, whose name was Cleopas, answering said unto him, Art thou only a stranger in Jerusalem, and hast not known the things which are come to pass there in these days? (19) And he said unto them, What things? And they said unto him, Concerning Jesus of Nazareth, which was a prophet mighty in deed and word before God and all the people: (20) And how the chief priests and our rulers delivered him to be condemned to death, and have crucified him. (21) But we trusted that it had been he which should have redeemed Israel: and beside all this,

TODAY IS THE THIRD DAY ...
    since these things were done.

This is near evening on Sunday.

About the time the disciples were speaking to Him would have been about a full 72 hours.

Jesus rose ON the third day, early in the morning.

MR

14. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Who here said Jesus arose on Saturday? I must have missed that. Can you point me to the post where someone said Jesus arose on Saturday? Thanks.

15. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

Jim, three days and three nights starting with days just like Genesis.

Thursday night to Friday afternoon: Jesus crucified and buried on Friday, day one.

Friday night to Saturday afternoon: Jesus in tomb, day two.

Saturday night to Sunday afternoon: Jesus arose early Sunday morning, day three.

He arose on the third day just like the Bible said according to Jewish days, evening to late afternoon.

16. mountainrun

mountainrun New Member

TCassidy,

I believe this was posted on the 30th.

MR

17. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If the crucifixion was on Wednesday, then Jesus was in Bethany the previous Thursday (John 12:1) and the next day, Friday (John 12:12), He rode the donkey (or the ass if you insist on KJV) into Jerusalem. He returned to Bethany that evening (Matthew 21:27) and the next day (Matthew 21:18--&gt;) He returned to Jerusalem. How was this accomplished if that were the sabbath, when the city gates had been closed and could not be opened again until after the sabbath? as well as that in Mark 11, on that second day, there were people carrying money, buying and trading?

18. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

OK&gt; I will count just like in Genesis combined with the words of Jesus.

He SAID three days and three nights He would be IN the heart of the earth. Not "ABOUT TO BE" but "IN IT". So your so-called first day is not the first day. You must start counting from when He was placed IN the tomb. From that moment to the next day is day ONE.

So it is impossible for your scenario to work my brother.

In HIS service;
    Jim

19. DeaconLew

DeaconLew New Member

Understand that Saturday afternoon (Gentile Time) is very early Sunday. Christ was in the grave for 72 hours:
    In the grave Wednesday eveing Gentile time, (before the high Sabbath that started Thursday morning [Gentile Recolection])

Wed Even - Thurs Even = 24 hours
    Thurs Even - Fri Even = 24 hours
    Fri Even - Sat Even = 24 hours
    Total = 72 hours
    Sat Even (Gentile Recolection) is
    The First Day of The Week

Notice:
    "Very Early"
    Mr 16:1 ¶ And when the sabbath was past, Mary Magdalene, and Mary... 2 And very early in the morning the first day of the week...at the rising of the sun.

He was already gone! Notice they got there at the rising of the sun and he was no longer there. Praise God! He Arose! Hallelujah Christ Arose!

What say ye?
    -DeaconLew

20. mountainrun

mountainrun New Member

I say Bro. James did not SAY Saturday evening, he said afternoon.

Matthew tells us that Jesus died at about the 9th hour, or three o'clock in the afternoon, Gentile reckoning.

His body was prepared and laid in the grave on the same day so as not to violate the Sabbath.

It was the day of Preparation. John 19:42.

They had about three hours to do this before the Sabbath began.

A literal 72 hours has Jesus rising at three p.m on the third day.

MR
    MR