1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Any one here believe a full three days, and nights?

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by ituttut, Mar 26, 2005.

1. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Let's see. 3PM + 3 hours for preparation = 6PM or right about sundown. Three days later (72 hours) would be sundown Saturday or the beginning of the first day of the week by Jewish reckoning, not 3PM which would only be 69 hours. [​IMG]

It seems your math is a little "fuzzy." [​IMG]

2. mountainrun

mountainrun New Member

I see. I was counting from his death instead of his placement in the tomb.

So you say He was placed in the tomb just moments into the Sabbath in order to be raised on the first day?

I feel that John 19:42 makes it clear that it was the day of preparation still when He was laid in the tomb.

=======================================
    Because it was the day of Preparation, and since the tomb was nearby, they laid Jesus there.
    ===================================

Luke 23:53-56 shows that they laid Him in the grave then states afterward that "it was the Preparation day and the Sabbath was about to begin.
    Also that the women still had time to go home and prepare the spices but they rested on the Sabbath.

My math may be fuzzy but the available evidence stll has Him in the grave on the day of Preparation, albeit after 3:00.

Further, the disciples on the Emmaus Road told Jesus, late on the first day of the week, that it was the third day since his arrest and crucifiction.

Note that they include his arrest and handing over in this three day time frame.

It seems your 72 hour thesis would have this to have actually been four days.

We must use scripture before math.

MR

3. mountainrun

mountainrun New Member

I did some more math on this to see if the events of a literal 72 hours in the grave jibe with Cleopas telling Jesus it was the third day since His arrest handing over.

Jesus was probably arrested about midnight before His crucifiction. {MacArthur's commentary on Matthew.}

To the time of His being laid in the tomb, allowing your claim of sundown, or 6 PM,
    we must add 18 hours, giving us 90 hours.

If, as you say, He was resurrected at sundown on the Sabbath, we must add another 24 hours to the time the disciples met Jesus on the road.

If we knock off two hours to allow for some leeway on the road and in the garden,and to save time arguing over minutes, we have 112 hours.

Four days is 96 hours, so this places us well over four and a half days.

This math does not agree with what the disciples said. The third day was not yet over according to them.

MR

4. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, I didn't say that. I said he was placed in the tomb at sundown just as the Preparation day ended.
    4 days is 96 hours. In order for Him to have been in the grave 4 days he would have arisen at sundown Sunday when the bible clearly says He was no longer in the tomb before dawn on Sunday morning when the ladies arrived.

5. mountainrun

mountainrun New Member

I'm not speaking about 4 days in the grave.

I'm saying that Cleopas said it was the third day since Jesus had been handed over.

If you have 72 hours in the grave, then the time frame must have been over four days if you take into account the time consumed before His burial and the time until Jesus spoke with Cleopas.

Your time frame requires at least four days instead of the three that Cleopas told.

MR

6. ituttut

ituttut New Member

Completely agree Pastor. The Catholics got it wrong and everyone followed. The truth hurts, and it is very hard to stand up for His Word, and admit being a "sucker". Christian faith, ituttut Galatians 1:11-12.

7. ituttut

ituttut New Member

Mountainrun, posted in another forum the following. It should clear up the Sabbath above.

John 12:1 says there will be six days, and then the Passover on the seventh day. I can find nothing refuting the below:

8th is our Thursday evening in John 12:1. It was the beginning of their day at 6PM Thursday as they made Him Supper, shown in verse 2.

9th is our Thursday/Friday.

10th is our Friday/Saturday, palm branches, then Sabbath in John 12 & 13.

11th is our Saturday/Sunday leaving the Temple and to the Mount of Olives in Matthew 24:1-3.

12th is our Sunday/Monday and on Sunday Jesus said two days must pass until Passover, making it then Wednesday the Passover day (Matthew 26:2).

13th is our Monday/Tuesday with Tuesday probably shortly after 6PM when Judas Iscariot went to the High Priests in the dark in verse 14. This is speculation on my part to be sure.

14 is our Tuesday/Wednesday, Passover beginning at 6PM . Christian faith, ituttut Galatians 1:11-12.

8. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Asked and answered. See my post regarding the Hebrew idiom "three days."

9. mountainrun

mountainrun New Member

ittut, if the 10th is our Friday/Saturday, does this make it the Jewish Sabbath?

MR

10. ituttut

ituttut New Member

Yes, I agree 10th is the Jewish Sabbath. ituttut

11. ituttut

ituttut New Member

12. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Sabbath mentioned by John, a HIGH SABBATH, was the Holy Convocation called for in Exodus 12 on the 2nd day of Passover Week. I believe this is the chronology of events:

1.)Jesus ate the paschal meal("Last Supper") Tuesday Eve shortly after sunset, & was arrested shortly after.

2.) He was taken to Annas' home. Annas was the father-in-law of Caiaphas, the High Priest.(Notice the Jews had corrupted that office, as C was High Priest for THAT YEAR. According to GOD, the office was HEREDITARY for AARON'S descendants, held for LIFE.)

3.) Jesus was then taken before Caiaphas.

4.) He was then taken to the Roman Praetorium. (Pilate was doubtlessly cross at being awakened so early.)

5.) Jesus was sent by Pilate to Herod, who was visiting Jerusalem, as Galilee was within Herod's bailiwick, & Pilate had wanted to reconcile himself with Herod, who was displeased with Pilate.

6.) Herod returned Jesus to Pilate for Pilate to pass judgment.

7.) Pilate tried unsuccessfully to change the crowd's minds about Jesus, then yielded to them & gave Jesus up for the cross.

8.) Jesus was alive on the cross from about 9AM to about 3 PM, & was entombed shortly before sunset.

All this took place on TUESDAY, which had begun the previous sunset. Sounds like a lot to cram into 24 hours, right? Well, the garden of Gethsemane, on the Mount of Olives, isn't far from the temple site, and doubtlessly both Annas & Caiaphas lived nearby. And the praetorium wasn't too far away. Herod was almost certainly staying in one of the Roman govt. buildings nearby, so all the moving of Jesus from place to place didn't take long.

As for the Passover...the paschal meal was eaten Tuesday Eve shortly after sunset; the Jews slept and nest morn, still Tuesday, they did all their mundane work in preparation for Wednesday's Holy Convocation, the "high sabbath" mentioned by John. Any Jew will tell you that every special observance day is called a High Sabbath regardless of what day it actually falls on, with all the rules of the ordinary weekly Sabbath being observed, along with the special rules for that particular observance. The Holy Convocation called for in Exodus 12 is such a High Sabbath.

Thus, Jesus was in the tomb Wednesday, Thursday, Friday nights and days, being resurrected Friday eve shortly before sunset. THERE IS NOTHING IN SCRIPTURE SAYING HE WAS RESURRECTED SHORTLY BEFORE DAWN SUNDAY MORN! As Saturday was the weekly Sabbath, the Jews didn't go near any tombs that day, but the women went to Jesus'tomb early as possible Sunday morn. Knowing this was gonna occur, Jesus was waiting for them.

Yes, I fully believe He was in the tomb 3 nights & 3 days just as He said he would be!

13. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There are umpteen websites and books which try to place the years of Jesus' birth and of His death/resurrection anywhere from 7 or 8 BC(birth) to 26-33 AD(death). Let's use SCRIPTURE AND HISTORY TOGETHER for an estimate!

Luke says the Annunciation of Jesus' impending birth occurred while QUIRINIUS was governor of the area. This Quirinius (Cyrenicus) was a well-known Roman official, Augustus Caesar's "right-hand man". He was in the Judea area as MILITARY governor to handle a revolt by a group, (Homanadensians)& remained in the area from 10 BC to 7 BC.(He had wisely NEGOTIATED a settlement, thus gaining Rome some allies while avoiding a costly war.)

Quirinius was again in the area as governor beginning 6 AD, and this fact has caused some confusion for some who've read Luke along with an incomplete history of Rome in those days.

BUT...What else occurred in those BC days? After Jesus was born, the magi arrived & told Herod about Him. Alarmed at this possible threat to his throne, Herod planned to kill Jesus, thus initiating His being taken to Egypt, out of Herod's jurisdiction.

The magi had indicated to Herod that they'd seen Jesus' star about 2 years previously.

It's well-documented that Herod died in 4 BC. That would place Jesus' birth no later than late 6 BC. Thus, we have both Scripture and secular history pointing to the time of Jesus' birth.

This leads us to see His death occurred in 28 AD, as the Passover began Tuesday evening that year, and Jesus was in the tomb before sunset Tuesday eve, which was the beginning of Wednesday.

I have already presented a time line in an earlier post of Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday as the 3 nights & 3 days He spent in the tomb.

There is a ridiculous assumption that the "last supper" wasn't a paschal meal, but this is in direct contradiction of Scripture; therefore I entirely reject that silly notion.(Luke 22:15, NKJV...
    Then He said to them, "With fervent desire I have desired to eat this Passover with you before I suffer;", among other Scriptures)

All secular evidence...let alone JESUS' OWN WORDS...indicate He was 3 nights & 3 days in the tomb, just as He said He'd be.

14. ituttut

ituttut New Member

Hello Robycop3 we agree, but I believe you are one day off. We have to fit this in with other scripture, one being your reference in Exodus 12:14-16.

”And this day shall be unto you for a memorial; and ye shall keep it a feast to the Lord throughout your generations; ye shall keep it a feast by an ordinance for ever. 15. Seven days shall ye eat unleavened bread; even the first day ye shall put away leaven out of your houses: for whosoever eateth leavened bread from the first day until the seventh day, that soul shall be cut off from Israel. 16. And in the first day there shall be an holy convocation, and in the seventh day there shall be an holy convocation to you; no manner of work shall be done in them, save that which every man must eat, that only may be done of you.”

Using your Wednesday as a High Sabbath Day to seven days of the next week would be a Tuesday. But Luke 24 will not allow this as the two walked on Sunday to Emmaus. Christian faith, ituttut

15. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There was the High Sabbath, Wednesday, followed by the regular weekly sabbath, Saturday, which began at sunset Friday. Now, why the women didn't go to the tomb Thursday I have no idea.(or on Friday if your supposition is correct)

However, it seems quite likely that the events took place in 28 AD, and in that year, the FIRST DAY of Passover week was Wednesday. Jesus was in the tomb shortly before Wednesday began at sunset Tuesday. There's no reason why He couldn't have been resurrected and walked to Emmaus, a distance of 7 miles Sunday.

16. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Because the High Sabbath was sundown Wednesday to sundown Thursday, and they went to buy the spices on Friday, and the weekly Sabbath started sundown Friday until sundown Saturday so they couldn't go on Saturday. Pretty simple.

17. ituttut

ituttut New Member

I believe scripture points to The High Sabbath being on a Thursday robycop3. Jesus had to be put into the earth at just about the stroke of our time 6PM, changing from Wednesday to Thursday. So count the days and it is 3 days right before the clock struck 6PM Sunday.

Pick any other scenario, and you wind up with a Saturday beginning, or a Monday beginning day.

The women didn’t go to the Tomb Thursday for it was the High Sabbath Day. They didn’t go Friday (that we know of) because guards were on duty and would not let anyone near the Tomb. They didn’t go Saturday because it was the seventh day Sabbath of the week. On the first day of the week Sunday when they arrived He had already arisen.

The reason that Wednesday could not be the High Sabbath is that the two walked to Emmaus on Sunday. Let’s take a close look at the wording in Luke 24:13-33. On Sunday the two left Jerusalem for Emmaus, as you say about 7 miles where they, or perhaps only Cleopas, lived.

As they walk Jesus joins them, and they say it has been three days since these things were done. Here we see the splitting of the days of Wed/Thurs in the Tomb as one day closing, and a new one dawning. Joseph could not roll the stone on Thursday, so Jesus was sealed in the Tomb just as Wednesday was ending, and Thursday was beginning. Then the ending of Thursday was the first day. Then Thur/Fri, with the ending of Friday the second day, then Fri/Sat, with Saturday ending the third day just as Sunday is dawning at 6PM. Jesus arose at the ending of the Sabbath, and the beginning of the New day Sunday. So as they walk it is the third day since these things happened.

They walk and talk, and as they near the village, and home, they invite him to dinner that evening. While Jesus is there eating with them, the day is now Monday after 6PM, and Jesus then makes himself known, and then leaves.

It is now Monday, and in the same hour that Jesus left, they returned to Jerusalem that Monday, as verse 33 indicates.

This incident is much more important, than just to fill space. Everything means something in the Bible. This is the reason I posted the following to you. ” Using your Wednesday as a High Sabbath Day to seven days of the next week would be a Tuesday. But Luke 24 will not allow this as the two walked on Sunday to Emmaus.” I apologize for I see I typed Tuesday instead of Monday in the post, thinking of your using Tuesday as the Passover.

As you are using Tuesday as the preparation or Passover day, this would have been impossible for the two to return to Jerusalem that Monday. That Monday would have also been a High Sabbath Day, for it was the seventh day of unleavened bread that started on Tuesday that you use for Passover. The two could not walk 7 miles on a Monday for it would have been a High Sabbath day.

We find this in Exodus 12:18, ” In the first month, on the fourteenth day of the month at even, ye shall eat unleavened bread, until the one and twentieth day of the month at even.” Unleavened bread begins on Passover, and ends seven days later, the seventh day being a “holy convocation”.

In Leviticus we find more in chapter 23:5-8, ”In the fourteenth day of the first month at even is the Lord's Passover. 6. And on the fifteenth day of the same month is the feast of unleavened bread unto the Lord: seven days ye must eat unleavened bread. 7. In the first day ye shall have an holy convocation: ye shall do no servile work therein. 8. But ye shall offer an offering made by fire unto the Lord seven days: in the seventh day is an holy convocation: ye shall do no servile work therein.”

We see Exodus the “Unleavened bread begins on Passover, and ends seven days later. We see that the day after Passover in Leviticus is a High Sabbath with no work, and then the seventh day from Passover is also a High Sabbath with no work to be done.

These verses explain why Passover could not be Tuesday, and Wednesday the High Sabbath, for the seventh day from Tuesday of one week to Monday of the next is seven days, and the two could not have walked 7 miles back to Jerusalem.

It has taken me awhile to figure out the movements of Jesus from John 12 to Wednesday Passover, His burial that same day just as the new day Thursday is beginning, then His resurrection Saturday, as the new day Sunday is appearing, and His walk with the two to Emmaus, and their return on Monday to Jerusalem before the seventh High Sabbath day, on Tuesday.

Appreciate if you will check this out. I don’t believe the days could be any other than what scripture shows them to be. ituttut