1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Any recommendations....

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology Forum' started by ktn4eg, Jun 25, 2006.

1. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

I'm enrolling in an online degree program that requires a minimum of the following office suite:

Microsoft Word
    Microsoft Excel
    Microsoft Access
    Microsoft PowerPoint file formats

My OS is Microsoft Windows XP home edition.

Which office suite do you recommend?

(BTW, their catalog also states: "Certain courses may also require additional software.")

2. preacher

preacher New Member

I think OpenOffice.org has what ya need....& it's free!! It's compatible with MS Office formats. Check out their web site & see.
    Just noticed you are in Nashville...I lived there a lot in the 80's, my momma still does, in Antioch. I was always more of a "livin in the sticks" kinda person though.

#2 preacher, Jun 25, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2006
  3. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'd see if they would accept open office, if not be sure to look for Microsoft Office STUDENT EDITION it is about half price. Also be sure you have the documentation required from the school - usually on the side of the box.

You can also get older versions of MS Office for a fraction of the new cost if you do some snooping online. Just be sure there is a cola (registration code) that comes with it :)

4. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

Preacher:

Actually I DO live in Antioch.

Moved to this part of town a little over a year ago. Used to live on the back side of the Ellington Ag Center before I moved to LA (Lower Antioch :smilewinkgrin: :smilewinkgrin: ).

5. preacher

preacher New Member

Been gone so long I can't even remember the street we lived on. I was there a couple yrs ago when momma was in the hospital, seemed like it had tripled in size. I actually graduated from Glenncliff HS WAYback in 74!!

6. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

Preacher:

I was living in Clarksville, TN in 1974. Don't remember if I-24 was even completed from Nashville up to there by then.

Didn't move to Nashville until around Thanksgiving of 1995.

Glenciff HS is located on Antioch Pike, but that part of Antioch Pike isn't really in the Antioch area.

Much has changed in just about every area of Nashville; in fact, I doubt if there are that many people living here today who could actually claim to have been born and raised in Nashville any more.

Antioch's other name is "Hispantioch" since there are so many Hispanic folks living in this area.

Another piece of demographic trivia concerning Nashville is that it's got such a large Kurdish population that it was one of the few places in the U.S. that actually qualified for a voting center for the Iraqi elections that took place earlier this year.

The Nashville Tennessean newspaper prominently featured some photographs of Iraqi nationals here holding up their ink-stained fingers to prove they'd voted in those elections.

7. preacher

preacher New Member

None of that going on when i was there. When I was in school we lived in an apartment complex,...I believe on Tampa Dr? Off Nolensville Rd. Wow!!!that was a long time ago. My folks bought a house in77 over clost to Antioch HS, & it was sold bout 10 or so yrs ago. Benzing Rd mabey??
    It wasn't a bad place to live in those days, but I always spent my weekends at Summertown, cruisin' & such. Had a lot of family down there.
    Clarksville, use to fish a lake up in that area...Marrowbone Lake. Some BIG Bass in there!!

8. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

I'm quite sure you'd be hard pressed to recognize most of those places you mentioned today!

The Antioch HS that you remember is now Antioch Middle School. It's just across the I-24 bridge on Blue Hole Road from my church's property (Lighthouse Baptist). This church wasn't organized until 1978, so I'm not sure if you would have been familiar with it.

The present Antioch HS is located on Hobson Pike (on the way out to Percy Priest Lake). The buildings are only about 12 yrs old & they're all ready overcrowded.

Marrowbone Lake is in the Joelton community on the way up I-24 towards Clarksville. Since I'm not much of a fisherman, I don't know how good it is today.

Clarksville is located further downstream on the Cumberland River (even though it's NW of Nashville). Actually they still consider that part of the Cumberland River to be Lake Barkley (where exactly Lake Barkley ends has never been fully explained to me).

9. preacher

preacher New Member

Momma lives right next to your church, Timberlake Circle. I visited there years ago, around 85 or so. Where we had the house was walking distance from there.
    And yes I know it's changed ..a lot.. I used to wade & fish Mill Creek in different areas. My first job was in a warehouse off Antioch Pike, Tenn. Cartage. Co. Where Harding Place USED to deadend into Antioch Pk. After I got out of the AF I even worked downtown at the Performing Arts Center for a couple of years. Momma's a city girl so she loves it there, but i couldn't live there now.