1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Any Seminaries teaching Proverbs 31?

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by gb93433, Mar 20, 2010.

1. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Are there any seminaries teaching how to apply Proverbs 31:16-17?

Prov. 31:16-17, "She considers a field and buys it; from her earnings she plants a vineyard. She girds herself with strength and makes her arms strong.

2. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

I think my Sunday School teacher could probably handle this passage quite nicely. Don't need a seminary professor for this one.

3. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In years past, when many women attended seminaries, it was likely taught more.
    Baptist female seminary education is a relic of the past now.

4. Joseph M. Smith

Joseph M. Smith New Member

Not at places like Baptist Theological Seminary at Richmond or John Leland Seminary, just to name the ones with which I am acquainted.

And then there are all the Baptist women who are in seminaries, but not Baptist-affiliated seminaries. I teach as an adjunct at Wesley in Washington, and the enrollment in the courses on Baptist Polity is always more than half female.

5. MrJim

MrJim New Member

I wonder if any seminaries are teaching some of those related proverbs...

Pr 21:9 KJV
    It is better to dwell in a corner of the housetop, than with a brawling woman in a wide house.

Pr 21:19 KJV
    It is better to dwell in the wilderness, than with a contentious and an angry woman.

Pr 27:15 KJV
    A continual dropping in a very rainy day and a contentious woman are alike.

...finding the balance:wavey:

6. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Okay...I'll take the bait.....why the question? What's the point behind it?

Baptist seminary education is alive and well for women. The fact that there's been change doesn't mean all is lost or dead or whatever. I would argue that there's more of it going on now with the added offerings to women (online, nontraditional, nondegree seekers, etc.) than ever.

7. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Like Mrs. Paige Patterson's brand new Horner Homemaking House at Southwestern:thumbs:
    Similarly, at Southern ladies can learn "hospitality" at the feet of Seminary Wives Institute founder/director Mrs. Albert Mohler:thumbs:

8. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I also see classes in evangelism, theology, philosophy, etc. in those programs. And we haven't even touched on the traditional seminary programs that women are part of.