1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Anyone Cruising this Summer

Discussion in 'Travel Forum' started by Tom Bryant, Apr 28, 2009.

1. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    My bride and I leave on May 11 for a cruise to Cozumel (well, depending on the swine flu thing) and Belize.

Anyone else kicking back this summer?

2. puros_bran

puros_bran Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The family and some folk from church are going on a Bahamas cruise July 11th....

We did the Cozemel Costa Maya cruize 2 years ago.... Some years they go to Belize, others they go to Costa Maya. I guess even the crews get tired of the same ole same ole.

If your looking for a beach on Cozemel, I can't reccomend 'Mr Sanchos' enough. The cabbys will know where it is. Its out away from the boatcrowd, we shared the entire area with maybe 45 other gringos. Sweet!

What ship are you going on? Please don't say the Carnival Holiday.

3. Tom Bryant

Faith:
    Baptist
    We're going on Enchantment from Royal Caribbean and might not get to cozumel because of the swine flu thing.

Why not Carnival Holiday?

4. puros_bran

puros_bran Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The cabins were to small for the wife and I to be able to walk around each other without being 'very cozy'. The AC left a lot to be desired. Its the smallest oldest boat of the Carnival line, and it shows. 'Camp Carnival' consisted of a room, not much bigger than a closet, where the kids could sit and stare at the walls,it seemed none of them did. The entertainment was less than spectacular. The only show worth watching was the last one. The food was ok, but not up to normal Carnival caliber, far below RC standards.

I don't want to leave the impression that I'm impossible to please. Had I never been on a cruise before I would have been delighted. Its only when the Holiday is compared to other ships that it becomes so dated.

We will be on the Carnival Fascination this go around. The sis in law and her family went on the same cruise/ship during spring break and reported highly of it. Considering she is impossible to please and all she could find to fuss about was the AC in their room didn't operate correctly I am excited to go.

Do you cruise often?

5. Tom Bryant

Faith:
    Baptist
    We cruise about once a year and more if we can afford it. We mostly are on Royal, but went on Carnival Inspiration once.

Wife and I love cruising because it's just us, along with 3,000 of our closest friends :tongue3:

6. puros_bran

puros_bran Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I prefer RC myself, but the Mrs likes Carnival..... Guess I'll be on Carnival from now on :D.

7. Tom Bryant

Faith:
    Baptist
    smart man!

What has been your favorite port? Where do you leave out of?

8. puros_bran

puros_bran Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    We are leaving from Jacksonville headed to Half Moon Key and Nassau, Bahamas.

I love Cozumel. The attitude is very laid back,compared to most other cruise ship ports. Of course everyone calls you "my friend" but for the most part they understand that No means No and will leave you alone. If they lift the ban (I just heard on the news earlier that the ships wouldn't port in Mexico until at least May 5th) you will enjoy it. Just remember the Mexicans don't get out of bed as early as us... even if your ship docks at 7-8am there really wont be much to do besides ride around in a cab or sit on a beach until 10 am or so, unless you book a shore excursion through your ship (we never do, you can do the same thing on your own for 1/3 the cost) but playing in the ocean is great the fish will swim right by you like you don't exist and really don't even get in a hurry when you take notice of them. I can't really even begin to tell you how much I enjoy it there.

9. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Cruising out of Jacksonville??? Yuch.

In Nassau, you may want to do the snokeling excursion. There's not too much to do in town other than the straw market which goes on and on with the same type of merchandise. The snorkeling is great -- right over a reef with thousands of fish. Enjoy!

10. Tom Bryant

Faith:
    Baptist
    My wife and I are divers so we enjoy the water and the reaction of the fish.

When we cruise, we always treat Nassau as a "sea day" and spend time on the ship doing stuff that it always too crowded to do other times. But we do go across the street from the dock and visit Starbucks.

11. FriendofSpurgeon

Site Supporter

Whew! I was afraid you were going to say Senor Frogs :laugh:.

There are a lot of good deals out there right now for cruises, but prices will go up during the summer.

12. Tom Bryant

Faith:
    Baptist
    Got back yesterday. Great time. Good food! Spent both quality and quantity time with my bride! Doesn't get any better this side of heaven.

13. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

If I had the money and somebody's honey, I would go cruising. I would hate to go by myself.....particularly with just a bunch of women..:rolleyes:

#13 SaggyWoman, May 18, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2009
  14. FriendofSpurgeon

Site Supporter

Welcome back Rev Tom. Glad to hear you had a good time on the high seas. You got back just in time, as there is a huge rain and thunderstorm front now stretching from the Keys to Palm Beach.

15. puros_bran

puros_bran Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good to hear. I am particularly looking forward to the salt air burning all the allergy crud out of my head.... Yipeee.... less than 2 months.

16. Tom Bryant

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks all.

Friend of Spurgeon - We are enjoying that rain right now.

puros-bran - where are you going?

17. puros_bran

puros_bran Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thought I told you...but I'm to lazy to click the back button and see.. :laugh:

Half Moon Key, Bahamas and Nassau Bahamas.. Pretty low down on my "places I want to go before I die" list, but the Mrs made the choice and being a wise man I decided it was exactly where I wanted to be this July. :thumbs: