1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Anyone Else a Disenfranchised Populist?

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Steven Yeadon, Sep 20, 2019.

1. Steven Yeadon

Steven Yeadon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The gist of this is that I am a populist. That is a Democrat on most economic issues and Republican on most social issues.

I voted all Rep in 2016 except I didn't vote for president. I was going to vote for Trump but the Access Hollywood tapes scared me away at the last minute. I Don't want to debate that, though since I figured Clinton was going to win, based on polls, and a Rep house and Senate were the real insurance against pro-abortion legislation.

I feel very disenfranchised by modern American politics. The Dems are so left now it is just insane. Pro-abortion is a litmus test in that party. However, I am not a fan of President Trump's policies beyond abortion and LGBTQ. Some might say that is enough, and of course don't support pro-abortion candidates, but where are we now? A country polarizing between a Far Left and a Far Right. I as populist don't fit in either party anymore.

Many are still in the middle, and it seems the politicians have forgotten independents like myself and others. Compromise is a curse word now. America seems split between Rep and Dem, but there are a lot of populists, centrists, and libertarians.

Anyone else a disenfranchised independent or populist? What do the conservatives and liberals on the Baptist Board think of the polarization in America? Am looking at things wrongly?

2. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    its mostly a matter of opinion. Some would question why you even vote at all.
    As for me and my house abortion is the shedding of innocent blood.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Steven Yeadon

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Of course.

4. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I did not vote for Trump. I voted for the Constitution Party Candidate. The reason is I thought he was an opportunist and because of his immoral past. However, I support his policies. The left has completely misrepresented his words and his actions. Trump has done well in going around the Dems when they get in his way. I will likely vote for him in 2020.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nope. I have no desire to subsidize those too lazy to work. I believe in helping the truly disabled, but Democrat economic policy is to buy votes with welfare and give away programs.To keep the Democrat plantation populated by creating a perpetual state of poverty.
    Teaching a man to fish is truly more humanitarian than giving a man enough fish to barely keep him alive.

Compare minorities in the Obama economy to minorities on the Trump economy.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    yes, Trump in 2020 D.V.

Then Trump Jr, or Eric, or Ivanka, or Tiffany or ... take your pick, maybe even Barron in 20 plus years
    [​IMG]

Yes, that crashing noise you hear are progressives passing out ... Medic!!

#6 HankD, Sep 21, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2019
  7. Shoostie

Shoostie Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Uh, Trump is a Populist. You WON, in spite of yourself not voting for him.

For someone to judge Trump for that comment is ludicrous. He never held himself out of a paragon of virtue and the vast majority of women and men have said far worse. The Democrats played you like a fiddle, for rewarding their dirty tactics by popping an October Surprise.

8. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We should take note - the POTUS is our Commander-in-Chief Not our Sunday School Teacher

9. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So? Some of us didn't want to vote for a man with such an immoral, raunchy past.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

10. Steven Yeadon

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't see it the same way. I see the president as a job demanding top Christian character. I would want a POTUS to be a churchgoing man, an evangelical, that could be a deacon in his church if he wanted. I refuse to vote for Democrats because they have rejected biblical morality. Yet, I want a leader who Jesus Christ would endorse. That said I love our vice president, that is what I would like to see more of in a politician.

11. Wingman68

Wingman68 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ever watch Mad Men? It was pretty accurate in depicting the way the game was played in that time, not so long ago. In the corporate or monied positions it was expected & given the head nod. If you didn’t you would have been viewed with suspicion about your sexuality, & with women it seemed they were never against using sex as their step up. Heck, this guy may even leave his wife for me, she thinks, which never happened. I observed this first hand seeing my Dad & his upper level cronies have the time of their lives. There are a lot more raunchy pasts out there than moral ones is my takeaway.

12. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah, I don't want my President to participate or have participated in those "games."

Furthermore, Trump was at the top of the corporate world in the 80's and 90's. He didn't need to play these games.

13. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    While Carter may be a Christian now, I don't believe he was while POTUS. He simply did too many non-Christian things.

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. Wingman68

Wingman68 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would say most of your presidents already did play that game. I’m saying most because I don’t want to debate which few didn’t. Anyone that has the drive it takes to make it to the presidency has their fair share of other drives as well. To expect that the country will elect a church deacon is, well, not even worth a debate, & I know you were not the one who mentioned that. Even Christians have a problem rallying around one of their own, then add all the rest of the country, & being a deacon would actually be a detriment to getting elected.

15. Shoostie

Shoostie Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The US Supreme Court leaned to the left before Trump took office. Trump has already replaced two relatively constitutional judges. If Hillary had gotten to appoint those two judges, America would have been pushed over the cliff.

The refusal to support Trump is the most ignorant of self-righteousness.

Hillary defended her Husband who was a far worse philanderer than Trump ever was. Hillary's own character is far worse than Trump's character.

Trump is easily the best president in my life time.

16. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Blah, blah, blah....The lesser of two evils argument, again.

Nothing you said takes away the fact that Trump has an immoral personal past which was laid bare in the campaign.

Oh, and you forgot to bring up Hillary's emails...

17. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh are you saying he is a sinner?
    Got stones?

18. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Me too, me three, me four...

19. Shoostie

Shoostie Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The lessor of two evils is a very real thing. And, you've always voted for evil. BTW, did my comment about the Supreme Court go above your head?

That's a relatively small issue.

20. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No actually the lesser of several evils.e.g. infanticide if we are quantifying.

Yes - he and I are both sinners. I admit it.

And what about Hillary's 33,000 emails!?

• Like Like x 1