1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Anyone else reading Beale's new NT Biblical Theology book?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Greektim, Jan 6, 2012.

1. Greektim

Greektim Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    [​IMG]

It has been good so far. Just wondering if anyone else was reading it and would like to discuss the content of it. I like his approach and finding myself agree with a lot of what he says.

2. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Curious...Is this related to this New Covenant Theology?

3. Greektim

Faith:
    Baptist
    No... not even close. It is a biblical theology of the New Testament. And Beale is probably one who leans toward covenant theology, although his emphasis and expertise is biblical theology rather than systematic theology.

4. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

So far, what is his premise regarding seeing the Old within the New?

5. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

Since he is on the faculity at Westminister theological Seminary, would probably be written from the reformed perspective!

And would most probably see things as from the Coventant theological position!

6. Greektim

Faith:
    Baptist
    He does a good job insisting that the NT cannot be correctly understood in a biblical theological sense unless the story of the OT is first consulted and understood. His view of the metanarrative of Scripture is the "new creational kingdom" started in the garden of Eden and to be consummated in the New Jerusalem. He is basically saying that the story of the NT picks up and finishes the story of the OT. This kind of reading can only be achieved with a high level of continuity between the two testaments and the mission of God.

And yes, he is coming from the reformed tradition likely of covenant theology rather than new covenant theology. However, this book is a biblical theology not a systematic theology, so he is trying to avoid such concepts because they are not helpful in this approach.

I think I enjoy this book so much because I am finding much more value in biblical theology rather than systematic theology.