1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Anyone familiar with the ways of the old fashioned Baptists?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by BroOldTimer, Feb 19, 2019.

1. BroOldTimer

BroOldTimer Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I didn't realize how fortunate I was to have been brought up, and worship in the ways of the old time Baptists until I went to college. I went to worship with many friends during that time, and learned about how they did things, but it never compared to what I knew and felt in a little mountain church house. Some were Southern Baptists, Catholics, Contemporary Christians, or Methodists. I even went to some of the mega churches of the area, and our ways were so different. Any of you raised or worship with the old time Christians?

1. Prayer around the altar, and done aloud. In our congregation, one of the first things done in the service is to hear the spoken requests of the congregation and then to pray for them. We gather around the altar, and pray aloud for the requests mentioned.

2. Lots of singing. After congregational singing and prayer, the singing service begins where any born again Christian is welcome to come and offer songs of praise. The singing may last ten minutes or an hour depending on the spirit. These songs may be sung with instruments, acapella, or in the lined out style of the Old Regular Baptists.

3. Time for testimony and lifting of holy hands. During the worship service, any Christian is welcome to stand and offer praises to God. They may stand and share something that God did for them. They may thank him for salvation or share a special prayer request. Also, it is not unusual that the saints of God lift their hands in prayer or worship of God.

4. Shouting is not out of order or style. During the service, while the singing or preaching may be happening it is nothing unusual for the sisters and brothers in the church to cry, shout, and say amen. Some may think it inappropriate, but I think it is a glimpse of the Gloryland. Nothing like hearing the old saints of God shout praises, and thank their God.

5. Two or three preachers preaching in the service. Sometimes the preaching happens in the start of the service, but usually after the singing and praise service. It is not unusual for the pastor to preach, or another brother to stand and preach in the same service. I've been in services where three men stood and preached consecutively. It just depends on the spirit that day.

6. Godly communion and foot washing services. The special services where the brothers and sisters would take part in the Lord's supper and remember the sacrifice made. This special time is always followed by the foot washing service. This occurs when men and women separate and wash each other's feet. Shouting and singing are common during this part of the service.

I'm glad that God blessed me to worship in this way, and most of all that he saved me and made me whole. I've been in many services where God's anointing was very strong.

Did any of this sound familiar to you? Did it bring back precious memories? Or does it remind you of how things work in your congregation?

2. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have never, in all my life, seen or been part of what you are referring to.:(

I've heard of places where the wrong "spirit" was in charge, with whooping and hollering, being "slain in the Spirit", "words of faith" being spoken and where there were all kinds of weird happenings and goings on...but never where the real Spirit was in charge.
    I've been in many Baptist churches, but never one where the Spirit was allowed to work for more than a few minutes.

In the USA:
    East coast , West coast , Midwest , Michigan, you name it...

Gatherings were always pre-scripted, with everyone filing in, sitting down, then after the greeting from the pulpit ( usually by the song leader ), we would all then stand, shake each other's hands, sing a song, sit back down, have the announcements read by the pastor, have a "music special", stand up for the third song, and then finish with a topical sermon that jumped around through parts of either the Old Testament, the New, or both that lasted anywhere from 45 minutes to an hour.
    Then everyone would leave and go home to watch the football game, have dinner or who knows what until time to come back for the "evening service", when roughly 1/5th of those who showed up that morning would come back that night.

On rare occasions we would have missionaries come in and share stories from the mission field, and on even rarer occasions we had preaching that moved my spirit.
    But for the most part, nothing was ever done "off-script".

I would give much to have been a part of anything that allowed the Holy Spirit to move, unimpeded.
    I know it would have been orderly, praiseworthy and most of all, it would have lasted as long as everyone wanted it to last...hours, if that's what was needed.
    I'm glad that God blessed you with such a thing, and I hope it exists somewhere yet today...

But there's nothing like that in my area and never has been, at least as far back into the '70's as I remember.

May God bless you greatly, sir.:)

#2 Dave G, Feb 19, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Primitive Baptists?

4. Rockson

Rockson Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    So tell us...according to you what would the Spirit being allowed to work for more than a few minutes look like? What would be taking place?

Well yeah I think you've got the Stage 1,2,3,4,5,things happening pretty clear. Thing that startles me of many churches is that they get into the stages..."OK everybody shake hands with your neighbor....How you doing! God bless! Nice to see you!" OK someone says Ive got my fellowship done for the week. Is that real fellowship? Is there anything in that where any encouragement is being given through each member of the body to each other. There's no relationship building taking place in that at all IMO.

And then someone not going to church is criticized for forsaking the fellow-shipping of the saints. Actually not to be unkind but people that do what I describe really have forsaken the fellowship of the saint. I know there's only so much one can do in a service but there must be things set up for believers to really fellowship at different times. Something else through the week where people actually talk to each other.

5. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Could be, especially in the mountains.

6. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You suggest it is old fashioned Baptist but it isn't a Baptist thing at all neither is it old fashioned. It was just what was done at your church. You probably do not want to assume it was common elsewhere.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have always felt an affinity for the PB,

Several years ago I looked for a PB Church but the closest was about 100 miles away over the Cascade mountains here in WA State.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. BroOldTimer

BroOldTimer Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not Primitive Baptist but probably similar. These are part of the United Baptist and Free Will Baptist traditions. Nothing quite like it.

I am from Eastern Kentucky, so yes kyredneck "The Mountains".

9. BroOldTimer

BroOldTimer Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    First, it is very much Baptist. Congregations from the old United Baptist Associations, Old Regular Baptists, and the Free Will Baptists have worshipped this way for at least the last 200 years. Probably longer than that, and that is a fact.

Second, compared to the worship in most Baptist churches today it is very much old fashioned. I agree with Southern Baptists on most doctrinal issues, and have several SBC friends, but you won't find what I am talking about in more contemporary churches. Worship services are not scripted out at all, and the spirit leads us in worship.

Third, it is what continues to happen at my church, and happens in churches of like faith and practice all over the region and beyond. The spirit filled worship of God isn't confined to one congregation that I happen to belong to. Truthfully, this is what our churches across the country need to return towards.

"You probably do not want to assume it was common elsewhere."

This statement or the intentions it implies never crossed my mind.

10. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Guilty as charged!... If you want to talk about Old Fashioned Baptist then I'm you're man... Since the age of seven grew up Old Line Old School Primitive Baptist Church... Third generation to be exact... Singing!... Led the song services acapella, over 35 years... Never lined a song... Know most of the old hymns by heart... Prayer usually followed and then preaching the whole counsel of God... Foot washing and communion been through many... As far as shouting not much of that in a white congregation but go to the Black brethren, they would raise the roof... Been to a few of their meetings too... I'm not from Kentucky but from California... Could elaborate further but you get the picture... Give me that Old Time Religion!... Brother Glen:)

#10 tyndale1946, Feb 20, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. old regular

old regular Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would consider the original practices of British and American Baptist Churches ''Old Fashioned'' yet in todays Baptist world such practices would appear new. The Regular Baptist and Separate Baptist both had part or all of these elements in their services.

12. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have been in places where I have participated in church services where all six of the practices you mention have occurred (not necessarily all six in one service). These would not describe the general week after week of how things work in our congregation. On number 1, this is not a common practice among Baptists, in the area where I live. Most of our local churches would think it was odd or unconventional. Also, on number 5, we seldom have more than one preacher present at a given service, but more than one might preach if more than one is present. This would not be thought odd, but it does not occur often. Finally, we do not see too much lifting up of hands in our services here. Have seen it once in awhile, but it is not very common.

13. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, in the Russian Evangelical Christian-Baptist services, I've attended.

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. old regular

old regular Member

Faith:
    Baptist

15. old regular

old regular Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Number 1 if he is speaking of an erected altar or mourners bench is not done in any of the Old School Baptist Churches (Old Regular/ Primitive Baptist Old United) if he is talking about a stand where the preacher preaches and an Amen corner for the Brothers on one side and for the Sisters on the other side, that would be the norm for us.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist