1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Anyone get out of KJV?

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Emily, Dec 26, 2003.

1. susanpet

susanpet New Member

Seek out the old paths and when ye find them walk therein.

2. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Susan - what version is that from? It had a "ye" so I'm thinking the Geneva?

Jeremiah 6:16 Thus says the LORD, "Stand by the ways and see and ask for the ancient paths, where the good way is, and walk in it; and you shall find rest for your souls." NASB

3. Walls

Walls New Member

Dr. Bob, I don't believe that scripture to be from the Geneva.

4. timothy 1769

timothy 1769 New Member

[​IMG]

Never underestimate the power of the dark side...

5. RoleTroll

RoleTroll Guest

1. If the King James Version is the only Bible, then why is it called a "version"?

2. The KJV was viewed as a horrible book when it was released. It was considered unChristian by many to use the KJV.

3. If God inspired the KJV, then you should repent of your rejection of God's word, which clearly includes the apocrypha.

6. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Several years ago I seriously investigated the claims of the KJVO position and attended a KJVO church for a few years.

The Scripture verse constantly in my mind was the following

Ecclesiastes 1:9c ... there is no new thing under the sun.

Vulgate - same thing, The ONLY authorized Word of God in any language. There is no other, can't be another. It is better than the Greek and Hebrew.
    People were put to death for translating it into English (Tyndale).

Then there was the KJVO themselves:

Mockery, contempt, ridicule for non-KJVO (even for KJVp), and at the top of the food chain vulgarity and profanity with clones a-plenty.

Double-standard - and then ad hominems when the DS was pointed out to them (for instance - ridicule of the educated scholar - except for the Roman and Anglo-Catholic trained and educated KJB Translators).

Double-Talk - "Things which are different are not the same (except the 1611KJV and the 1769KJV)" and that along with casuistry - "The KJB revisions have minor differences"
    (identical twins have minor differences but they are not the same).

Etc, etc...

My current church of 8 years is not KJVO.

HankD

7. RoleTroll

RoleTroll Guest

It's true that the KJV is not currently copyrighted. That's why it's used so often, and printed so often - it's cheaper, not better. But you can say you're doing it because it's better [​IMG]

8. RoleTroll

RoleTroll Guest

I was KJVO many years back, at a pentecostal church. I didn't leave because of their choice of Bible, but I did realize that their reasons made absolutely no sense whatsoever, and truth be told their views were of the flesh and not of God.

Later, at a Baptist university, we used the NRSV in classes. I like the NRSV, but I also like the NLT or NAB to read. And yes, the KJV as well on occasion.

The bottom line is that if your Bible doesn't have the apocrypha, your Bible is not the KJV but a doctored, sliced up shadow of the true KJV. If God inspired the KJV, then you should reject what the KJVO people claim is the KJV, and accept the true KJV.

9. skanwmatos

skanwmatos New Member

Sorry, but that is incorrect. The KJV is now and always has been under copyright. Upon publication a "Crown Patent in Perpetuity" was issued in the name of the British Crown and that Patent remains in effect today. Nobody can print the KJV in the United Kingdom except those printers licensed by the Crown. That Crown Patent will remain in effect until the demise of the British Crown.

10. RoleTroll

RoleTroll Guest

Sorry, but that is incorrect. The KJV is now and always has been under copyright. Upon publication a "Crown Patent in Perpetuity" was issued in the name of the British Crown and that Patent remains in effect today. Nobody can print the KJV in the United Kingdom except those printers licensed by the Crown. That Crown Patent will remain in effect until the demise of the British Crown. </font>[/QUOTE]Okay, in Britain it is copyrighted. My point remains.

11. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

My KJV Bible was printed in the U.S. and has been copyrighted since 1909. :cool:

12. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    REMINDER: This thread is NOT to debate KJV. It is for testimonies of those who have left the "only" position.

Thank you.

13. RoleTroll

RoleTroll Guest

They deleted one of the posts, and left the one I edited to just say "duplicate." So it's now lost.

I just quoted from many different sources on the web showing that countless authors use the KJV because it's "not copyrighted" and they don't have to pay royalties. They use the KJV to avoid royalties, not because it's a superior translation or because God's hand is in it.

14. Refreshed

Refreshed Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    HankD:

I can definitely understand what you are saying. There seemed to be a lot of unChristlike behavior in KJVO circles. I am still nervous as to how I'll be treated in my KJVO circles when they find out. I'll "have lost my faith," "went astray," "thought I was too smart for the Word of God," etc. Oh well, as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord!

TinyTim:

Thanks for the encouragement. It'll still be a difficult row to hoe though. :D

Jason

15. Gayla

Gayla New Member

"If oyu ever look at some of the manuscripts you wil notice that over time what once was commentary written in the margin was brought into the text later. So now it is the job of the textual critic to reverse that process and try to bring the text back to where it was originally." gb93433

Where can we get a look at these manuscripts????????????

16. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

A great example of this is the johannie comma (1 John 5:7).

4 of the 8 manuscripts have it as a commentary or side note. Nice.

17. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Yes, the Lord Jesus rescued me from KJVO, and to God be the glory! His Word is true, and the truth of His Word was finally brought through to me despite what the KJVOs tried to do. I praise God that my family are now delivered as well, and are growing in the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ. Unfortunately the deceiver has blinded many and still blinds them to this day. Pray for their [snip] deliverance.

(Portion deleted was in violation of BV/T Forum Guidelines.)

Posted by TomVols, May 19, 2003
    http://www.baptistboard.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=4;t=001187

[ January 04, 2004, 09:43 AM: Message edited by: Pastor_Bob ]

18. LRL71

LRL71 New Member

Ok, in order to keep myself in line with the topic of this thread, I will also share with all about my escape from the Dark Side (KJV-onlyism). Hopefully everyone has fully read the previous testimonies from those who also escaped the snares of KJV-onlyism [snip].

Here's my story......

I did not grow up in a Christian family and didn't set foot in a church (United Methodist at the time) until I was 16. That was in 1987. The pastor there did know the Lord (but I didn't-- and will share that later) and guided me to choose a college after I graduated from high school. I lived in Lexington, KY with my father at the time, as my parents had divorced three years earlier. My mother lived in Sarasota, FL, and I wanted to go to a college near her. I found Clearwater Christian College on a road map and decided to go there. I was accepted into Clearwater and started my college education in 1990. At the time, I was a Wesleyan Methodist, and although I had the 'head knowledge' about the Gospel, I was not saved. During my freshman year, I was influenced by many friends to join myself to an IFB, and I did so that summer break in 1991. I found a church in Sarasota that seemed nice and joined that church (I was also baptized there, too!). The pastor there was KJV-only, and this was my first taste of KJV-onlyism. I had all the tracts and books at my perusal and bought the KJV-only arguments hook, line, and sinker. Even the pastor preached one Sunday night about the subject before I headed back to college. My sophomore year started, and so did my zealousness for KJV-onlyism. I also started to learn Greek that year as well (I was enrolled to complete a Bachelor's of Arts in Pastoral Studies). I also had a few friends who were of the opposite persuasion than I had regarding the KJV. My patient and gracious Greek teacher and other fellow friends put up with me that year, but to no avail. That summer of 1992 I moved up to be with my dad in KY. I joined a IFB church there that was also KJV-only. Good church, good people, but totally deceived. I returned to Clearwater to continue with my junior year. I also took another full year of Greek and also some Hebrew, too. This was the watershed of my change of mind regarding KJV-onlyism. Keep in mind, I still had not come to know the Lord -- yet! By the start of 1993, I was fully in the other direction, even debating the few students who held to KJV-onlyism in class and in private. Clearwater Christian College is definitely not known to be KJV-only, and it never was. I was not 'arm-twisted' [snip], I came to that conclusion on my own. And I did this while not knowing the Lord! The sad fact is that KJV-onlyism became my idol for two years, and probably kept me from coming to know the Lord until I was in the beginning of my senior year in college (Sept. 1st, 1993). I was not 'Ruckmanite', but rather of the KJV-onlyist type and position that many IFB's hold to. Even this 'moderate' form of KJV-onlyism is insidious and destructive. [snip]. I later went on to seminary after college, but came to realize later that I am not qualified for pastoral ministry (see 1 Tim. 3:1 and following) because I have no desire to be a pastor. I didn't finish my M.Div. degree, but may do so at a later time.

My education is something that I hold dear, and it was part of the key that pursuaded me that KJV-onlyism, regardless of degree, [snip]. One need not be saved to know better, and is better saved knowing the truth. One is better to know a lot about the biblical languages, since this is the primary weapon against ignorance regarding the Scriptures. The other weapon against ignorance is knowing both sides of the issue well enough that you are not beguiled into accepting the deceit and lies of another. When I was steeped in KJV-onlyism, I didn't bother to get to know what the other side said about the issue. Why bother? If you are KJV-only, the 'other side' [snip] are a bunch of liberal-minded Bible haters..... or something worse. Ad hominem after ad hominem. I see that others here on the BB have similar stories about their Great Escape from the Dark Side of KJV-onlyism. It is a [snip], full of deceit, lies, and ignorance. Only those who resist the truth continue in their false pride. The freedom that awaits those who trust what the Bible has to say about itself is a balm of healing from the wounds [snip]. [​IMG]

[ January 04, 2004, 06:43 PM: Message edited by: Pastor_Bob ]

19. mesly

mesly Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    LRL71, Amazing testamony! Thanks for sharing it. What in particular caused you to have a change of mind?

20. LRL71

LRL71 New Member

LRL71, Amazing testamony! Thanks for sharing it. What in particular caused you to have a change of mind? </font>[/QUOTE]Mesly,

Well, specifically, knowledge is power.......

While studying Greek in college, I studied grammar and vocabulary. There is a lot to be said about how easily a scribe (working late with candles burning!) could make mistakes in the copying of manuscripts. While taking Greek and Hebrew, I also took NT Introduction and learned everything that has to do with the transmission of the Greek NT text. This was my first introduction to textual criticism and was the eye-opener for me. I heard from my KJV-only pastors that this class would corrupt my mind about the subject since it is a 'liberal' subject like 'higher criticism' (they likened textual criticism to 'lower criticism'). Since when does the examination of textual evidence be likened to 'liberalism'?? Other classes that I took while in college was in Biblical Archaeology, which took into consideration the textual evidence. My professors were certainly patient with those, who like me were KJV-only, who didn't take their position. I also had a library of KJV-only books (Waite, Fuller, Riplinger, William Grady) which was full of invective hatred of textual criticism's scholars and of those who prepared the texts of modern versions. [snip]

[ January 04, 2004, 06:45 PM: Message edited by: Pastor_Bob ]