1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Anyone have a Ryrie SB?

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by hawg_427, Feb 16, 2007.

1. hawg_427

hawg_427 Member

Just wondering if you have a Ryrie SB in Genuine leather. I saw one and the leather seemed thin to me and it wasn't stamped Genuine leather on the back cover like I see on other Bibles.

2. North Carolina Tentmaker

What kind of leather is it? Bonded leather is a manufactured process and can be made quite thin. Top grain is going to be much thicker. I have a Ryrie, let me go see what it is made of.

3. hawg_427

hawg_427 Member

It is not bonded, supposed to be genuine leather. It's just not stamped on the back cover like all my other Bibles. My Wife's Dad has a Genuine leather Life Application SB in NKJV and it is pretty thin leather also. My Top Grain leather Bible is much thicker than this is. Which leather is yours, did you look?

4. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

The mnore you read it, the less time it will last.

5. Keith M

Keith M New Member

Open the front cover of your Bible and look there. That should settle it for you. It may be that all Moody Bibles have that information inside the front cover, but I'm not sure about that. All I can say for sure is that the information is found inside the front cover of the Ryrie Study Bibles I have.

#5 Keith M, Feb 17, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2007
  6. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

I'm with you, mine is on the inside right of the front cover. Mine is about 20 or so years old.

7. Keith M

Keith M New Member

20+ years for mine.

8. Gershom

Gershom Active Member

Nothing stamped on mine.

9. Keith M

Keith M New Member

1978 Ryrie NAS has the words "GENUINE COWHIDE BONDED LEATHER LINED" stamped on the lining of the inside front cover in the bottom right corner.

1984 Ryrie NIV no indication of cover type - probably bonded leather judging by the feel of it.

1985 Ryrie NKJV has the word "COWHIDE" stamped on the bottom lip of the inside front cover.

Apparently the practice of using a bonded leather lining inside the Bible covers disappeared sometime between 1978 and 1985.

And that concludes today's nostalgic trip down memory lane to the days when I had more hair!

:laugh: :confused: :rolleyes: :eek:

10. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

Still have all of mine but color isn't the same, its gray.

11. Keith M

Keith M New Member

For a long time it seemed my hair was having a race to see if it would fall out or turn gray first. I think falling out is taking the lead and gray is falling behind.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

12. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Thickness of real leather is usually determined by the grade of the leather used in the binding process and especially the cover.

;)

I doubt that they are using calf skin and I know they ain't using vellum . . .

:thumbs:

13. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I would like to have a Ryrie SB in the NKJV, but I don't think they make them anymore. If anyone knows if they're available please let me know where I could purchase one. :)

14. BruceB

BruceB New Member

Amy, try ebay or any of the on-line book sites like Amazon - they will list associated used book dealers. I can normally find most out of print books that way. You may have to be patient and try over a period of time to find what you want. If you get around try hitting the different Christian bookstores - one is bound to have an old stock copy laying around. Bruce

15. Keith M

Keith M New Member

Amy, I just googled RYRIE STUDY BIBLE NKJV and got boucoup listings, but hardly anything was an exact match with the NKJV. The only one I saw in the first 10 pages of listings was where someone else was looking for a Ryrie NKJV at Amazon I believe - and there were no responses except for someone asking about an ISBN number. There were about as many listings for the Ryrie KJV as there are Big Macs at McDonalds, but practically zip in the Ryrie NKJV.

I noticed however that Olive Tree has software that lists the Ryrie Study Bible notes. These notes are keyed to the KJV which is very similar to the NKJV. You can also run the notes in one box and a Bible text in another box, which might be helpful.

If you are really serious about wanting a Ryrie NKJV, I have ISBN numbers from the copyright page of the copy I have. One or more of these numbers could help you find what you're looking for if you really get into searching.

ISBN 0-8024-7375-X

ISBN 0-8024-7377-6 (this is the one I have)

ISBN 0-8024-7378-4

ISBN 0-8024-7379-2

ISBN 0-8024-7380-6

I wish the Ryrie was still being printed in the NKJV, but it hasn't been for several years if my understanding is correct. These days the KJV, the NASB and the NIV are all you will find currently in print. I wish you the best in your search!

#15 Keith M, Feb 18, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2007
  16. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Thanks Bruce and Keith. I knew I could depend on you guys for help. If I decide to get one I will probably go with the KJV Ryrie since it's closest to the NKJV. :)

17. Keith M

Keith M New Member

Don't give up looking just yet, Amy. I just posted a question about the Ryrie NKJV on 4 other discussion boards. Maybe someone will be able to help out in the next few days. It may be worthwhile to wait a few days before you make your decision.

Another alternative for you might be the Scofield in the NKJV. I believe that version of the Scofield is readily available. Both the Scofield and the Ryrie follow dispensationalism so the Scofield could be a viable option for you. That is unless you particularly want the Ryrie. In that case I am sure the Ryrie KJV could be your best option.

#17 Keith M, Feb 18, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2007
  18. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

The Scofield NKJV is what I use! That's funny. So, I should probably just stick with that. The Ryrie has more notes, that's why I thought it might be helpful. Thanks for all your help!

19. hawg_427

hawg_427 Member

Ryrie uses split leather

I just found out from Moody Publishers that the Ryrie uses what they call split leather. Ever heard of this? If so where does it rate?

20. Keith M

Keith M New Member

That's a new one to me. Sorry!