1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Anyone here believe St. Malachy's list of popes?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by robycop3, Nov 25, 2018.

1. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This list was first made public in 1595 by a Benedictine monk named Arnold Wion when he wrote a history of the Benedictine order. The actual attributes of the popes match the list shortly UP TIL THAT TIME, but after that, facts must be stretched to match it. More than one catholic scholar has dismessed it as a forgery, but the RCC has no official stance nor opinion about it.

Many who believe it point to the description of John Paul II, "of the sun, from the labor of the sun", as predicting there'd be a solar eclipse on the day of his birth & one on the day of his funeral. (There were, but they weren't visible at his birth place nor site of his funeral.)

They point to Benedict's being a Benedictine, which includes the Olivetan Order, altho Benny wasn't a member of it.

The last pope is supposed to be "Peter the Roman", following Benny, whose abdication was not predicted, but Francis, an Argentine, is certainly not a Roman (Except "Roman Catholic", of course!)

I have some neighbors who swear by that list, despite my pointing out its goofs & booboos concerning popes within my lifetime (Starting with Pius XII) but they say that, as a Baptist Protestant, I don't understand the signs. (But I likely read with more comprehension than they do!) But we're friends, anyway!

Personally, I put NO stock in it. If Frankie were to die today, there'd be another pope selected shortly. And I believe the RCC is gonna help the "beast" attain power, and that takes a pope, but from what I've seen of Frankie, he wouldn't go along with that at all.

Anyone here actually believe that list ?

2. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  3. utilyan

utilyan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

He's Italian too.

Pope Francis - Wikipedia
    ====
    From wiki:
    Jorge Mario Bergoglio was born on 17 December 1936[2] in Flores,[3] a neighborhood of Buenos Aires.[2] He was the eldest[4] of five children of Mario José Bergoglio (1908–1959) and Regina María Sívori (1911–1981). Mario Bergoglio was an Italian immigrant accountant[5] born in Portacomaro (Province of Asti) in Italy's Piedmont region. Regina Sívori[6] was a housewife born in Buenos Aires to a family of northern Italian (Piedmontese-Genoese) origin.[7][8][9] Mario José's family left Italy in 1929 to escape the fascist rule of Benito Mussolini.[10] According to María Elena Bergoglio, the Pope's only living sibling, they did not emigrate for economic reasons.[11] His other siblings were Alberto Horacio, Oscar Adrián and Marta Regina.[12] Two great-nephews, Antonio and Joseph, died in a traffic collision.[13][14]
    ===

4. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If any Baptists believe that list then they are not a Baptist.

5. Adonia

Adonia Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The Bishop's of Rome were listed far earlier that the 1500's. Is seems in the 3rd and 4th centuries the ECF's mentioned them in their writings, describing the succession of them from the beginning.

As St. Augustine wrote in the 4th century:

"[T]here are many other things which most properly can keep me in [the Catholic Church's] bosom. The unanimity of peoples and nations keeps me here. Her authority, inaugurated in miracles, nourished by hope, augmented by love, and confirmed by her age, keeps me here. The succession of priests, from the very see of the apostle Peter, to whom the Lord, after his resurrection, gave the charge of feeding his sheep [John 21:15–17], up to the present episcopate, keeps me here. And last, the very name Catholic, which, not without reason, belongs to this Church alone" (Against the Letter of Manichaeus called Fundamental 4:5 [A.D. 397]).