1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Anyone know Hebrew or Greek?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by ScottF, Apr 14, 2007.

1. ScottF

ScottF New Member

Anybody on here know how to read/write biblical Hebrew or Greek? I have an English word I need translated/transliterated into Hebrew (or Greek).

2. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

what might the word be?

do remember not all English can go directly into Hebrew or Greek. Verbs are paticularly touchy ;)

3. ScottF

ScottF New Member

I was hoping to find someone who could help me transliterate/translate my first name into ancient biblical Hebrew, but ancient biblical Greek would do just as well. My name is "Scott".

4. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

To translate it into Greek, you would have sigma, chi, omicron, tau, tau.

To translate it into Hebrew you would have samech, kaph, holem, tet, tet. But it doesn't really work because doubled letters elide with a daghesh in the letter. There are several different ways since the "s" can be a couple of different letters, as can the T. You also have to remember that Hebrew is right to left.

5. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

Technically, that would be transliteration, not translation.

Of course, you could simply use the word "skotia":

σκοτία, ας, ἡ
    state of being devoid of light, darkness, gloom.
    darkening of the mind or spirit, darkness, fig. of ignorance in moral and religious matters​

Then again, maybe you shouldn't use it.

6. ScottF

ScottF New Member

Thanks! What would the meaning be then in Greek? What would the meaning be in Hebrew? I know you said that the Hebrew transliteration could be several different ways, throw a few possible meanings out there. I'm trying to see if there is any meaning or a definition behind my name.

7. ScottF

ScottF New Member

Oh, dear, that's rather depressing. What Hebrew dictionary did you get that out of?

8. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I'm not really sure why you would want your name translated into either language since your name didn't exist in the other languages.

The transliterations are all you could get but it wouldn't make much sense in regards to being translated into another language. Not trying to mess you up or make fun of you, just being honest. :)

btw: here's a link for the etymology of you name http://www.behindthename.com/php/view.php?name=scott
    apparently it might come from a slang term for "tattoo" so if you want your name to be "Tattoo" we can certainly arrange that :D

#8 preachinjesus, Apr 14, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2007
  9. ScottF

ScottF New Member

I wasn't sure if my name translated into ancient Hebrew. I was just wanting to see out of curiosity. Apparently, some names have meaningful definitions in ancient Hebrew that can apply to the persons nature, others don't.
    In modern Hebrew, my name translates into "Sofer" wich means "scribe". I was curious to know if there was any difference in ancient Hebrew.

I still don't know what the Greek definition of my name is.

The old English definition doesn't apply to me since I don't have any tattoos. However I do indeed have Scottish blood in me so that part does apply.

10. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

It's Greek, and it's from the BDAG.

11. ichthys

ichthys Member

Maybe we should find out what "Scott" means and then find a Greek or Hebrew word for that....:wavey:

12. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

"stizO" would be "tattoo".