1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Apocrypha, use it, trust it?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by LorrieAB, Dec 24, 2005.

1. mountainrun

mountainrun New Member

I didn't say it wasn't a historical document, Pastor. I said it wasn't scripture as it claimed to be. Nor am I clueless about historical documents.
    {Name-calling does not befit your title.}

It records some historical events related to Biblical events, as some say the Book of Mormon does.

This does not make it a good addition to the Bible.

I didn't move by choice, Lorrie.
    My parents moved me in '66. I love it up there.

As you can see, there is quite a bit of disagreement about the Apocrypha here.

There are those who believe the Book of Mormon should be added to the Scriptures, as well as the Pearl of Great Price and Doctrine and Covenants.

Everything you need is in the Bible.

Could you tell me what you are looking for in the Apocrpha?

MR

2. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

You claimed a comparison with Josephus was not legitimate. I agree it is not Scripture as it claims. And since it is not Scripture it is merely a historical document the same as Josephus and others.

I did not call you names. I merely said "anyone" that does not understand that the apocrypha is a historical document is clueless about historical documents. And that statement is true.

I do not think anyone here is claiming it is Scripture. It is merely a historical document that can shed some light on to the study of Scripture as other historical documents of the day.

3. mountainrun

mountainrun New Member

Pastor, my point is that these historical documents {the Apochrypha make a false claim. That is, to be the word of God.
    The reasoning that we need false scripture to better understand the true Bible and it's times doesn't appeal to me.

Josephus at least does not claim to speak for God.

We will have to disagree and leave it at that.

MR

4. PastorSBC1303

If we do not need it, why does the NT quote it?

5. Boanerges

Boanerges New Member

please site which passages you are referring to.

6. PastorSBC1303

Jude 14-15 "Enoch, the seventh from Adam, prophesied about these men: 'See the Lord is coming with thousands upon thousands of his holy ones to judge everyone and to convict all the ungodly acts they have done in the ungodly way, and of all the harsh words ungodly sinners have spoken against him.'"

7. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Actually Jesus did bother with it...it is quoted in the New Testament.

And it is a historical document. To claim otherwise is to be clueless as to what a historical document is and about.
    </font>[/QUOTE]Where did Jesus quote from the Apocrypha? I am genuinely curious to know.

Why does christainanswers.net say the Apocrypha is not quoted in the NT?

8. PastorSBC1303

Jesus did not quote from it. But the NT does, as posted above in the book of Jude. Now did Jesus have a part in that?

I have no idea why cthat website says it is not quoted...obviously it is wrong.

9. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Is this a quote from the apocrypha or just a quote from Enoch, inspired by the HS? If it's from the Apocrypha, would like to know where it's from. Thanks.

10. Paul of Eugene

Paul of Eugene New Member

Uh . . . guys . . . isn't that Jude quote from the book of Enoch, which is NOT in the apocrypha?

But you can read the book of Enoch for yourself on the internet:

http://www.sacred-texts.com/bib/boe/

The Jude quote is in the very first section!

11. PastorSBC1303

It is from Enoch 1:9.

12. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Okay, am answering my own question. This article says that the quote in Jude is an allusion more than a quotation from the Apocrypha but by doing so does not confer any canonical status to the Apocrypha:

13. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

An even more complete article on the quote in Jude being from Enoch is here, with an excerpt:

14. Paul of Eugene

By the way, I do not view Jude's quote of Enoch as in any way an endorsement of the inspiration of that book, but simply as an illustration of his point, in the same way that a preacher today could use the story of little red riding hood to make a point while not saying it is an inspired text.

15. PastorSBC1303

I have never claimed it has any canonical status.

I think it is valueable historical documents that we should pay attention to, and I think the fact that the Holy Spirit allowed it to be quoted or alluded to in the NT shows us this fact.

16. Paul of Eugene

Of course they are. They shed lots of light on the times and the way of thinking of writers in that era. Who would want that taken away from us or forbiddden to us?

17. PastorSBC1303

Not I.

However, read some of the other posters earlier in the thread.

18. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I think it's fine to know about the Apocrypha and what it says (same for the Gnostic gospels), but isn't it uncertain about who wrote these books and when? The fact that there is one quote from or allusion to Enoch does not mean the Apocrypha itself has any value for us as far as knowing what God thinks. Maybe that one quote or allusion was really from the prophet Enoch and so it got put in Jude, but the only reason we know it has value is because it's in Jude. That means the rest of it could be garbage as far as truth goes.

As the article I excerpted above states, Jude does not refer to the book of Enoch but to Enoch the prophet -- big difference.

19. PastorSBC1303

I never said it told us anything about what God thinks.

I have said again, it is valueable historical information on that period of time which enhances our study of God's Word.

20. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

If it was important to those in the NT times, why should we ignore it? No one here is saying its equal to scripture. But we cannot deny what we dont like.