1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Apostle Paul...

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by ROSAMARIA FABRIZIO, Feb 14, 2007.

1. ROSAMARIA FABRIZIO

ROSAMARIA FABRIZIO New Member

Could you all please help me:BangHead: What was the age of Paul when he died???? And any references to this question would help me so much,, thank you, for your help:wavey: rosamaria

2. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hi, Rosamaria! (I just love your name.)

The trouble with that question is that the bible doesn't give an account of when nor how Paul died. From what I recall reading about it somehow, neither does secular history.

Some people go with church tradition of his death. I can't remember what that is at the moment, but will look it up for you or maybe someone else remembers.

But church tradition should never be substituted for scripture nor solid, concrete historical fact.

3. DeeJay

DeeJay New Member

The story goes (from what I understand) that he was extrididted to Rome because he was a Roman citizen. He was allowed to live in the city for a few years and was then beheaded.

Beheaded instead of crusified or other forms of exicution, because he was a Roman citizen.

I dont have any idea of his age. Or how he became a Roman citizen?

4. bapmom

bapmom New Member

The Bible says he was born a Roman citizen, so the theory goes that he was the son of a Jewish lady and a Roman man who perhaps converted to Judaism.

5. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==I don't know how old Paul was when he died and, to be honest, I am not sure anyone does. I can do further research on this tonight but I doubt any of my sources contain anything beyond speculation. If you allow me to speculate, based on what I know, I would say he would have been in his 50s or 60s. However I could be totally wrong. As for how he died, he was beheaded by Rome. Most historians tend to agree that this was done by the Emperor Nero after the fire in Rome (AD64). Are we 100% sure of that? No, but it is very likely that is what happened since it is in the historical record and it certainly fits with Nero’s actions after the fire. So while not 100% it is probably the best we can do given the very limited historical data on this. History, mainly ancient history, can be a pain sometimes due to a lack of sources.

6. DeeJay

DeeJay New Member

I watched a program last night. I think it said he was beheaded in 67ad.

Any idea when he was born.

7. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Second Timothy is most likely the last book Paul wrote before his death. The date of the book according to some historians is 67. According to Eusebius, a fourth century historian, Paul was beheaded before 68 AD. He was most likely executed shortly after writing this book from a Roman prison. As far as age goes, I havent seen anything on when he was born. I think a good guess might be a little younger than Jesus, but not much.

8. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==Most scholars/historians will place his death after the fire in Rome, which occured in AD64, and before or during AD67. It was during this period that Nero launched a heavy persecution against believers.

9. ROSAMARIA FABRIZIO

ROSAMARIA FABRIZIO New Member

Apostle Paul's age......

:1_grouphug: Thank you all for your help...still I would love some help on of what the age of Paul was..?????? Thank you sooooooo much......:smilewinkgrin: (Scarlet O. , thank you for saying that about my name, my Sicilian grandnana's name.)...........:godisgood: rosamaria

10. bapmom

bapmom New Member

we can't give you his age, Rosamaria. His date of birth is not recorded, and as far as we know his age at any specific date is never given. The only qualification is that he is called a "young man" at the time of Stephen's stoning. However, what does "young man" mean? In Jewish tradition men were not really taken seriously until after the age of 30.....does this then mean Paul was under 30 when he held the coats at Stephen's death? Even then, we don't know when Stephen's death was.......except it was sometime after JEsus' death in or around 33AD.......also not a sure date.

We just do not know, except to say that he was no longer a young man when he died.

11. DeeJay

DeeJay New Member

IF Stephen died shortly after Jesus. And IF Paul was 30. And if he was exicuted in ad 67. Then that puts Paul in his mid 60s. Of course there are alot of IFs there.

Paul was a Pharise when he held the coats at Stephens death.
    How old do you have to be to be a pharise?

John MacArthur speculates that because Saul held the coats he may have been the ringleader.

But I find that the rookie holds the equipment when there is action. So I dont know if I buy that.