1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Apple: "Expect Burn-in and Color Shifts" on iPhone X Screen

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by InTheLight, Nov 4, 2017.

1. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Saw this and had to laugh, considering the lengths some on this board go to to defend Apple.

The new iPhone X, the $1,000+ phone, comes with a new display screen that Apple warns will "show slight shifts in color and hue" and that this is "normal behavior".

The displays are also likely to suffer "burn-in and image retention" which is "expected behavior".

But never fear Apple fans because Apple has "engineered the Super Retina display to be the best in the industry in reducing the effects of OLED “burn-in.”

LOL!

$1,000 for a phone that comes with a defective screen out of the box!

Apple says color and hue shifting, OLED burn-in expected on iPhone X

Sent from my Motorola Droid Turbo.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have the 6Plus and I loves it... My Precious!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You failed to mention that those shifts can be expected when the screen is viewed "off-angle."

Apple is educating their customers on the characteristics of the OLED technology so that they know what to expect and how to maintain the quality of their screen. This is the first time Apple has used the OLED technology on a phone, so they need to point it out. Did you think it was funny when OLED screens appeared on many other phones in previous years and exhibited the same issues?

Something you apparently fail to understand is that the reason so many "creative" types have been Apple users since the mid-1980s - even through the company's darkest times in the 1990s - is that Apple mastered color-syncing (ColorSync) technology in the early 1990s that allowed designers to create something on the monitor that would look exactly the same on a local printer, as well as on a commercial press. Windows came very late to that party and their solution STILL does not work as well. Long-time Apple users are VERY picky about color accuracy, so those warnings are especially for that part of their clientele.

It is the nature of the OLED screen technology (in all platforms). Obviously, one of the things they want to warn their users not to put static images as wallpaper on their home screens. They also advise some other behavior for users to get the optimum performance out of their phones.

You say that as if it is a bad thing. Apple has long delayed (well past their competitors) an OLED screen on their phone because of concern for these issues. They have employed some engineering to make it a better OLED screen than their competition.

If what you got out of the article is that the screen is defective, then all OLED screens on all phones, televisions, and other electronic devices are also "defective."

If you don't want an Apple phone, don't buy one.

If you don't want an OLED screen, don't buy a device with one.

If you own a device with an OLED screen, then, by your logic, you bought a device with a defective screen.

So, what kind of phone do you have?

4. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Speaking of Apple fans going to great lengths to defend Apple, take a look at this post!

Golly, I don't know. Is there a clue somewhere in my post?

I'm hoping to get a new phone, a Pixel 2XL, which comes with a screen with color hue problems and possible burn in issues.

Sent from my Motorola Droid Turbo.

5. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If I just had to make a wild guess, I would say you had a droid turbo.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Speaking of Apple haters going to great lengths to slam Apple and Apple users, look at your original post.

With your wailing about OLED phones and the folly of buying a phone with a "defective" screen, I was just hoping you were not being a hypocrite about it since the Motorola has that technology.

7. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Great lengths?

Quoted a sentence or two from an article from a pro-Apple website which quoted an Apple press release.

My Droid Turbo has a super AMOLED screen, not a P-OLED screen, so you are mistaken.

I admitted I'm considering buying a Pixel 2 XL which has a P-OLED screen so you are mistaken.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

#7 InTheLight, Nov 6, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2017
  8. liafailrock

liafailrock Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I have an iphone SE and sometimes have idiosyncrasies. For example, lately since an upgrade I sent texts 3 times to the wrong person. I think what happened is someone texted me, but the imessage defaults to the last person I texted whereas before it seemed to come up with the one texting me. So I'm just careful now making sure that the title of the text header is going to the right person-- they should not do these subtle changes. Improvements are fine, but not changing the manner as people develop habits. Overall I like iOS, but I also have Android tablet, and I just retired my Android desktop computer and I have this google chromebook (my present desktop is now Linux). So I am not a fanboy of any specific OS frankly as I have virtually all of them.

I noticed that the real fanboys and this is especially true with the (fake lol) newsmedia are the Microsofters. You don't hear much news about Microsoft getting malware despite the fact it's loaded with it just by turning it on, and how every MS computer has multiple malwares. But oh, how they love to slam Android and make it sound like a malware mess. It's not that bad unless you root it and download 3rd party apps or someone who snuck by in the play store which is discovered right away (there are ways to use commonsense so that you don't download those). If I had to be any kind of fanboy, I suppose its Linux and since Android is based off of it the things does not get malware like Microsoft -- for starters, Linux is a multiuser operating system. Microsoft only allows one user so malware has access to the system files unlike Linux where it's difficult to get to the system files. I can go into the "registry" issue as well that MS has but I won't take up the space now with that. But all that makes it so that the user basically does not have control of their system.

But the bottom line begs the question, why are they bashing both Android and iOS making them sound flimsy and ineffectual and MS could not even take the device market? MS rules the desktop and laptop with most people and is the same issues IMO as it's been for years. I won't even allow MS in my house -- anything else is welcome.

9. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The same problem exists in the Pixel 2 XL. Burn-in is an inherent problem with OLED screens. I have an iPhone 6 Plus and won't upgrade until they fix the burn-in problem.

10. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Note: Google claims to have fixed the burn-in problem on the Pixel XL, but users are reporting varying degrees of success. It's a hard thing for any device manufacturer to put so many features in so small a device. As technology continues to miniaturize wireless devices there are huge hurdles to overcome.