1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Application Grid

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by PastorSBC1303, Aug 5, 2006.

1. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

On the following page you will find a link to an application grid that Mark Dever uses in his sermon preparation. I have found it helpful and thought some of you might.

Application Grid & other resources

2. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

I know I am gonna look like I should already know this, but why do I know the name Mark Dever?

9marks ministry - yep - I shoulda remembered that one.

3. PastorSBC1303

4. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

Now I know I aint a preacher but I wonder why the exclusive emphasis on CHrist? I looked at the OT sample, and I understand why He include Christ, but why not God the Father and God the Holy Spirit too? (sorry if its a dumb question)

5. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Were there instructions on how to use it? What do you use it for?

6. PastorSBC1303

Tater, I am not completely sure and would never attempt to speak for Dever. However, I would guess that it comes from an attempt to preach Christ from the OT since God the Father and God the Spirit are seen more clearly in the OT. Yet I am sure you could expand the grid and add those 2 as well.

7. PastorSBC1303

It is a tool for applying a passage of Scripture. It gives you different categories to help apply the truth in different areas. You use it in your sermon preparation to strengthen application.

8. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

Did he create that? I think its a great way to make sure one is being true to the text and its applications.

9. PastorSBC1303

Yes I believe that is Dever's creation. I think it is great too. I have printed it out and keep it at my desk during sermon preparation.

10. whatever

whatever New Member

It's a great question. The answer is that this is the way Christ Himself preached the OT. Luke 24:27 - "And beginning with Moses and all the Prophets, he interpreted to them in all the Scriptures the things concerning himself."

I just got a copy of Dever's "The Message of the Old Testament: Promises Made" and "The Message of the New Testament: Promises Kept" as an early birthday present. Each chapter is an overview of one book, based on a sermon series that Dever preached at CHBC, and there's also a one chapter overview of each Testament and one on the whole Bible. Great stuff and highly recommended. I think the original audio sermons are available for free online at this link:
    http://www.capitolhillbaptist.org/partner/Article_Display_Page/0,,PTID324006|CHID677216|CIID2142376,00.html

11. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    That looked like a good tool for prepping. Thanks for the link

12. PastorSBC1303

I have both of these books and I would also highly recommend them. They are great!

13. RandR

RandR New Member

Thanks for the link. Great tool.

I enjoyed both books, too. Though I do think the "regulative principle" can be taken too far.