1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Applications of the parable of the soils for believers?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by annsni, Jan 15, 2011.

1. Winman

Winman Active Member

Jesus is speaking not only of life, but of spreading the gospel.

Luke 8:16 No man, when he hath lighted a candle, covereth it with a vessel, or putteth it under a bed; but setteth it on a candlestick, that they which enter in may see the light.

The thorny ground and stony ground was saved, they sprung up. Only the seed by the wayside did not spring up, the birds stole it away before it could take root. Dead things do not take root.

Many people truly get saved, but never bear fruit, that is they never bring others to Christ. Some are offended by persecution and do not tell others. Some are distracted by the world and do not serve the Lord. Nevertheless, they are saved, so as by fire (1 Cor 3:15).

That this speaks of spreading the gospel is shown in vs. 16 when Jesus says no man lights a candle and then hides it under his bed. No, they bring it out where all can see the light. This is telling others the gospel.

#41 Winman, Jan 15, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2011
  2. The Archangel

The Archangel Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ann,

Who are these words from?

The Archangel

3. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

ROTFL - Mixing up two threads!! I'll fix that! Sorry!!

OK - Moved these to the "blow the trumpet" thread about Harold Camping. ;)

#43 annsni, Jan 15, 2011
  4. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

[SIZE=+0]There is absolutely evidence in scripture that a person can be saved and bare no fruit. Scripture clearly states that we will know them by their fruit. Either it is bad or good. In the case of the parables the Lord is speaking of good fruit. The absence of the mention of any fruit is evidence that what they had was bad. Three of the four examples are lost.[/SIZE]

5. Winman

Winman Active Member

We will have to agree to disagree. A person can be saved and bare no fruit.

1 Cor 3:13 Every man's work shall be made manifest: for the day shall declare it, because it shall be revealed by fire; and the fire shall try every man's work of what sort it is.
    14 If any man's work abide which he hath built thereupon, he shall receive a reward.
    15 If any man's work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire.

Christians can do good, but they can do bad as well. Samson is a great example, no one would believe him saved looking at his life. Lot is another example, most would believe him lost from the account in the OT. But in the NT we are clearly told he is saved.

Many folks truly trust Jesus and are saved but waste their life and do not bare fruit. They will suffer loss of reward, but they will be saved.

6. psalms109:31

psalms109:31 Active Member

Love

The tiller of the soil is God and God is love. The only thing that can till the hearts is love. The soil will never be tilled without love and accepting love.

That is why God commands us to love one another and to be an example of what love is to the world.

God loved the world that He sent His Son, even if we can't understand this and want to change it to mean something else. The word of God is eternal.

The more we shove love down someone's throat the more they resent us and reject us the more we show love the more they will be able to accept it.

#46 psalms109:31, Jan 15, 2011
  7. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

8. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Sampson was not a Christian. That makes a big difference. Also I don't follow that doctrine about agreeing that we disagree. I hold this one;
    Amos 3:3 Can two walk together, except they be agreed?

9. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

1 Cor. 3:12-15 12 If any man builds on this foundation using gold, silver, costly stones, wood, hay or straw, 13 his work will be shown for what it is, because the Day will bring it to light. It will be revealed with fire, and the fire will test the quality of each man's work. 14 If what he has built survives, he will receive his reward. 15 If it is burned up, he will suffer loss; he himself will be saved, but only as one escaping through the flames.

10. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

I think that could be a good proof text to refute what i said. However we need to ask some question. Do you believe that a person can become saved and live their entire Christian life in sin with no good works?

11. The Archangel

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is a cryin' shame you give absolutely no consideration to context.

1 Corinthians 3 is not talking about general works. Paul is talking about building on the foundation he laid. The implication is that this is the members of the church building up the church.

If you want to keep on considering your errant position, consider the Fig Tree that Jesus Himself cursed for...bearing no fruit.

Those that bear no (good) fruit are not believers.

The Archangel

12. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Seed #1 was eaten by the birds

Seed #2 was burned up by the sun

Seed #3 was choked to death by weeds

Seed #4 yielded fruit

The soil is the heart of man, the sower is God. The seed is the Word of God.

Number 4 is the only one that yielded fruit. Not all plants yielded the same amount of fruit, but they had fruit nontheless. These are believers whose hearts were prepared for the Messiah, Jesus, the Gospel and received Him and thereby bore fruit, some more, some less.

13. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Yup that be a fact. :thumbsup:

14. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

OK - So, now that we have that out of the way...

We were talking about an application for believers. Is there anything that we can take the parable for as believers? Maybe thinking about those who are now saved - do they still at times have a thorny place in their lives where the Word of God gets choked out of their lives? Like maybe an old sin that needs to be cleared out but it hasn't yet? How about a place where the soil has not yet been amended by God and we still have some rocks, making for a little more shallow area in our lives? Or a part of our hearts that is still like the hard path that we need to allow God to till so that we can begin to have something grow there??

See what I'm saying? I know the explanation of the parable by Jesus but I was wondering if there could be a further application for believers as well instead of just saying "Well, I'm the good soil. Now I can move on away from that passage." Ya know??

15. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I would think not likely. However we have churches that are not making disciples as Jesus commanded and think that making disciples is another Bible study rather than teaching what Jesus did in Mt. 16:24.

16. Winman

Winman Active Member

Archangel, why do you care what I believe this parable is saying? I haven't seen you attack any other person's intepretation.

People here are not dumb, although some here believe themselves far more intelligent than others. Folks can read for themselves and consider the evidence provided and make up their own minds.

Lots of saved folks bear no fruit. Look at Sampson. If he were alive today would you believe him saved? He killed 30 men over a gambling bet. He left his wife and then wanted her back. He visited a prostitute on a regular basis. Does this fit your conception of a good Christian?

And yet he is mentioned in Hebrews 11, often called the Hall of Faith.

You should think twice before you judge people.

17. The Archangel

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm not attacking anyone's interpretation. I am pointing out, however, that you have wrongly interpreted a particular passage (in this case; many in other cases) because you are proof-texting.

As for your snide comment "You should think twice before you judge people," that's a non sequitur comment. You falsely assume that because I disagree with your errant interpretation that I am judging people who, like Sampson, "do not fit my conception of a good Christian."

I am doing nothing of the sort. Biblical context seems to be only one of your contextual inabilities. I am simply pointing out that you are interpreting the 1 Corinthians 3 passage you quoted and the parable of the sower in a way the Bible itself contradicts.

The Archangel

18. The Archangel

Faith:
    Baptist
    AND...

What you believe this parable to be saying is in direct opposition to what Christ Himself explains.

So, I care that you are corrected and I care that you don't lead other people into your diminished understanding.

The Archangel

19. The Archangel

Faith:
    Baptist
    I mentioned something for believers here: http://www.baptistboard.com/showpost.php?p=1635705&postcount=37

Blessings,

The Archangel

20. Winman

Winman Active Member

This may come as a real shock to you, but just because you disagee with my interpretation of this parable and the verses in 1 Corinthians does not mean I am wrong.

Ann asked for opinions on this parable, I gave mine. She nor anyone else has to agree if they think I am in error.