1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Applying Christ blood to recent sin

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by 2 Timothy2:1-4, Jul 19, 2007.

1. 2 Timothy2:1-4

2 Timothy2:1-4 New Member

1 John 1:9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
    It has been suggested that based on this verse in order for Christs blood to be applied to recent sin we must confess it. What say you?

2. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I say the ME crowd takes the converse of that to also be true...that if we don't confess our sin, He does not forgive us, and we will pay for these sins on our own. The text doesn't say that, though. I don't believe this to be the case, as for a believer confessing sin is a step in sanctification, not justification.

Think about it...what believer DOESN'T have unconfessed sin in their lives! Do ALL believers spend 1000 years paying for this unconfessed sin? Whacky theology...

#2 webdog, Jul 19, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2007
  3. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

Exactly right. We so easily confuse jusitifcation and sanctification. Christ paid the penalty for sin, and to say that it is not "applied" unless confessed is very dangerous theology.

Hebrews 10:10, 12-14 "And by that will, we have been made holy through the sacrifice of the body of Jesus Christ once for all...But when this priest had offered for all time one sacrifice for sins, he sat down at the right hand of God. Since that time he waits for his enemies to be made his footstool, because one sacrifice he has made perfect those who are being made holy"

4. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

The wages of sin is death. If we leave this world with any un-atoned (is that a word? :)) for sin, then we will see death (spiritual).
    What born again believer can sin without feeling the conviction of it by the Holy Spirit? I agree with you WD, it's about sanctification.

5. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

1 John 1:9-10
    9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
    10 If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.

Mark 11:25-26
    25 And when ye stand praying, forgive, if ye have aught against any: that your Father also which is in heaven may forgive you your trespasses.
    26 But if ye do not forgive, neither will your Father which is in heaven forgive your trespasses.

There is obviously a sense in which you (a believer) must get forgiveness for sins. Is it for sanctification, as opposed to eternal salvation? Yes. But sanctification is another one of those words that must be understood in context. In one sense all believers are sanctified. But then we must confess our sins and forgive others to be forgiven of our sins. Is this daily sanctification something that believers can dispense with without fear?

6. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

Feeling conviction is not the same thing as confessing your sin.

7. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I will ask you the same thing I asked JJump in another thread. What happens to the person who dies with unconfessed sin?

8. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

2 Corinthians 5:10 For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ; that every one may receive the things done in his body, according to that he hath done, whether it be good or bad.

9. npetreley

npetreley New Member

If you've been following the dialog, you know this isn't an answer. Do you kingdom salvation folks believe people with unconfessed sin go to hell or some other bad place for 1,000 years?

10. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

I believe that, yes. But if I could convince someone that there was anything whatsoever to be feared at the judgment seat of Christ, I would consider that a step in the right direction.

11. DQuixote

DQuixote New Member

It don't get much better than these two quotes. I go to 1 John 1:9 daily. It's about loving fellowship with my Savior, not about losing salvation.

#11 DQuixote, Jul 19, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2007
  12. 2 Timothy2:1-4

2 Timothy2:1-4 New Member

And if your present sin needs to be confessed for justification then you have lost your salvation. The ME folks do not get to have it both ways.

13. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

Justification, just like sanctification, just like salvation, must be rightly divided.

14. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Amen, 2 Tim and DQ!

15. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Huh?

16. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

...not only that but the wages of sin is death (spiritual separation). ANY unconfessed sin would then lead to spiritual separation from the Father.

My Bible tells me the moment we are saved we have passed FROM death to life. We will NEVER be spiritually separated from God...not even for 1000 years! The whole "narrow is the way leading to life" argument from the ME crowd is useless, as there will not be ONE person who dies having confessed EVERY sin in their lives. This alone debunks that Scripture as dealing with only a "kingdom gospel" and not an eternal Gospel.

17. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

No disagreement here, but if EVERY saved individual confessed EVERY sin in their ENTIRE lives they would not have any wood, hay and stubble to be burned at the judgment seat. The Bible would be incorrect for saying that man is going to receive reward for what they have done in this body whether good or bad.

If EVERY saved individual confessed EVERY sin there would be NO bad left at the judgment seat.

Are you really going to say that you have confessed to EVERY SINGLE sin in your lifetime?

18. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

You cannot assume that every time the bible says justified, it is talking about the same thing. Same applies to sanctified, saved, many things in the bible look the same unless you study them out.

19. npetreley

npetreley New Member

"Rightly divides" means God rightly divides your status into good and bad. If the good outweighs the bad, you get rewards. If the bad outweighs the good, you go to hell for 1,000 years. This is clearly taught in the Bible with the verse, "A dog returns to its vomit". (See kingdom salvation decoder ring setting 5XAB9AC.)

20. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Exactly...meaning EVERYONE would be on the broad road to destruction, and nobody on the narrow road to life, if you use that Scripture as a kingdom message.
    Why are you misrepresenting what I said :) I said no such thing. Of course I will die with unconfessed sin...but Christ's blood covers even those sins. One of the things I pray is for God to bring unconfessed sin to the surface to make it right with Him.