1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Archos 7 home tablet review

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology Forum' started by exscentric, Jul 10, 2010.

1. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is a new unit on the market. 7 inch screen - runs android operating system.

http://www.archos.com/products/ht/archos_7/index.html?country=us&lang=en

There are a lot of reviews on Amazon if you want more information. I'd take the negative ones with a grain of salt. If you want a computer get something else but this unit has some definite advantages to the netbook for reading.

Mostly wanted to speak to the ereader that comes with it. The reader had a mess of adjustments for brightness, background, print color, fonts. It has several sites where you can download free books and you can import others if you want of the epub format.

If you have other fomats google Calibre, it is a converter program that will convert one or multiple books at once.

The following link has a demo of the reader on the five inch version of the tablet (which is more money :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykmGNnKq0_g

2. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  3. exscentric

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Looked at a lot of units including Dell, but it didn't have wifi last I checked and the price may be a choker. I've heard 200 area but ebay is running them near a grand - not sure where it is going to settle.

It is an impressive unit for sure.

Ebay is full of Chinese seller rigs that were tempting as well. Wasn't sure I wanted to deal with service problems at that distance :tongue3:

4. billwald

billwald New Member

Anyone out there bought anything from Archos and liked it? I bought a touch screen computer a few years ago and returned it because the response areas on the screen didn't seem to match the pictures.

5. exscentric

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Did you try another one. All manufacturers have a problem unit now and then.

6. billwald

billwald New Member

No . . . I didn't like the touch screen in general, still don't.

7. exscentric

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just a little update, had to send the first one back, it kept turning itself on, two or more times a day, never knew when it would be. Emailed manuf. and they said send it back.

Sent it for replacement, the replacement turned on three times in a day and a half. Was on and battery near dead when I got up this morn - it is on its way back.

Kmart has a similar unit for 149 through sat. Have one, works nice and doesn't turn on - yet :laugh: anyway, It is a new one Augen Gentouch. Smaller memory but seems to work nicely. Screen isn't as responsive as the Achros and I have yet to get anything downloaded from the apps market.

This unit has andros 2.1 which is a real plus but have to play with it more.

8. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

Archos makes junk. I have had two of them go bad.