1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Are 7th Day Adventists a cult?

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by 3John2, Jul 17, 2004.

1. Craigbythesea

Craigbythesea Active Member

The men are irrelevant to the issue. 2 + 2 = 4 whether the one speaking is my two-year-old grandson or a professor of mathematics at Princeton University. But of course if the professor of mathematics is sleeping around, 2 + 2 = 5 :D . And if the professor of mathematics is married to a Catholic woman, 2 + 2 = 3 :D . No, 2 + 2 = 4.

2. Craigbythesea

NO!

3. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

NO! </font>[/QUOTE]Good! That is why I was asking.
    Then we conclude that you are a self righteous IFB-hater, who is very tolerant of SDAs and would rather defend their doctrine than Baptist doctrine. What are you doing in a Baptist forum??
    DHK

4. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

And NONE of them who do are pastors of "IFB" churches! </font>[/QUOTE]Hmm - ThM and working on my PhD. Our church may be small, but it is IFB, and I am the pastor.

5. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Craig's attacks are based on a few ifbX (x=extreme) that give historic fundamental Baptists a bad name. There ARE a sad group of pastors with limited education and less intelligence that are out there with their kjvo or hyles or such mentality.

But even on this point [Topic: SDA = CULT] I agree with all of them. My 2-year old grandson would know that a group that denies the Trinity and elevates a woman to prophet status is looney-tune!

6. Craigbythesea

This is an excellent example of the rancid bigotry among many Baptists that makes me sick. The SDA Church DOES BELIEVE IN AND TEACH THE TRINITY.

Here (again) is part of the official statement of faith of the Seventh-day Adventist Church:

7. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

They have those essentials, but then they have added to those dangerous doctrines (which are essential to and distinctive of the SDA church) which undermine the essentials such as the Investigative Judgment,Ellen White's teachings, legalisms, and being lost and getting the mark of the beast if you worship on Sunday.

Affirming essentials in one hand while attacking them with the other does not work well together. It's like someone who is feeing you with one hand while taking away the food with the other.

This is very typical of many cultic groups -- they have some solid teachings but then mess it up with unbiblical doctrines, that they consider essential, added in to the mix.

8. Craigbythesea

One thing for certain—you are an IFB, and a very good reason for me not to be one. And, by the way, Conservative Baptists are Baptists, and so are the members of the other 273 (+ or -) Baptist denominations Baptists.

I don’t know for sure whether the SDA’s are a saved people or not, and I choose to give them the benefit of the doubt. Neither do I know for sure whether hardcore IFB’s are saved or not, and I choose to give them the benefit of the doubt. I do know, however, that mainstream Baptists are a saved people, and in that I rest. [​IMG]

9. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

------------------
    I do know, however, that mainstream Baptists are a saved people
    ------------------

I don't know for sure whether they are saved or not, I choose to give them the benefit of the doubt.

10. Craigbythesea

Thank you! [​IMG]

11. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

I have never met an SDA who is saved. I do not believe that one who is well acquainted with SDA doctrine can be an Seventh Day Adventist and a Christian at the same time. As Marcia pointed out, they have some core essentials which seem to be orhodox. But that which they have added in poisons it all. You cannot believe in the doctrine of Investigative Judgement (which takes away from the atoning sacrifice of Christ) and be saved at the same time. Likewise for many other of their doctrines. They have put themselves under the Law, keeping the Sabbath, not eating pork, etc.

You may not do or keep these things yourself. But your posts indicate that you defend them that do. The Lord told Jude to contend for The Faith, not the faith of a false prophet called Ellen G. White. Their faith cannot be found in the Word of God. Only portions of what they believe can be found there.

One of the most basic of premises of Baptist faith is that the Bible is our final authority in all matters of faith and practice. Some call it sola scriptura. We have no other authority than the Bible. The Mormons use the Bible, as well as the Book of Mormon. The J.W.'s add on the writings and publications of the Watchtower. The Catholics have their Oral Tradition, and the decrees of the magesterium. And the SDA's have all of the writings of Ellen G. White. They are not "sola scriptura" if you choose to use that term. The Bible is not their final authority or only authority. Ellen G. White is. Much of their doctrine can be gleaned from "The Great Controversy," by E.G. White.

Whatever you believe as a Baptist, I am not sure. You don't have to explain yourself to me. What I have been emphasizing is association. The Bible condemns association with unbelievers and heretics. (2Cor.6:14-17). Jehoshaphat was a good king in Judah, who at the end of his life compromised with wicked king Ahab. For all the good that he did in his life, he will be forever remembered in the annals of history as the king that compromised with evil. God hates compromise
    and evil associations.

Let the Bible be our guide, and may both our lives and our churches strive for purity; purity morally, and purity ecclesiastically.
    DHK

12. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

Posted by Craig
    I don't know what IFB churches you have been attending, but you sure haven't visited mine or any that I, personally, know something about!

Craig: Are you an SDA or thinking of becoming one? You certainly do not sound much like a Baptist... :confused:

This is the Baptist Theology Forum and all you are doing is pushing SDA theology. Maybe you should post in "All Other Religions"???

13. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

This is an excellent example of the rancid bigotry among many Baptists that makes me sick. The SDA Church DOES BELIEVE IN AND TEACH THE TRINITY.</font>[/QUOTE]Here is a discussion that took place between a Seventh Day Adventist (3AM) and myself some time ago in the Other Religions Forum:
    DHK:
    3AM:
    Note: 3AM is a SDA that does not believe in the trinity, neither the deity of Christ, albeit she tries to qualify like the J.W.'s do. Christ is a mighty god, not the Almighty God. He cannot be the one and only true God. The denial of the annihilation along with the doctrine of soul sleep leads to a strange belief concerning the soul and spirit, which also affects one's belief on the resurrection. Even her belief on the resurrection of Christ is different, but then she really doesn't believe that He is the Almighty God anyway. But she is Seventh Day Adventist.

In the past I did much of my work off-line on a word processor, and thus still have pages of quotes from various people to verify their beliefs.
    DHK

14. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    To say that a person is not saved because he/she is SDA, JW or Muslim is to say one is not human because one is not civilized.

Where in the Bible does it say that one's theology damns him or saves him ?

It is God who chose His people from eternity past, before the foundation of the world, and He chose them on the basis of His mercy, not their beliefs and practices.

Christ shed His blood for His people, whom He called His sheep, and whom He considered lost from His fold, and He redeemed them with His blood, taking the penalty for sin Himself.

SDA's have very strange and unscriptural teachings, not the least of which is investigative judgment, but, to condemn the whole lot to hell on the basis of their heresies is equally erroneous.

15. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Is that the same as saying:
    To condemn the whole lot of Muslims to Hell on the basis of their heretical beliefs concerning the Koran is equally erroneous?
    DHK

16. pinoybaptist

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes.

You get saved as an act of God alone. You get converted by an act of God or man.

17. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

No. Salvation is of God that is true.

Acts 17:30 The times of ignorance therefore God overlooked. But now he commands that all people everywhere should repent,

One cannot be a Muslim and a Christian at the same time. There are no "Islamic Christians." And in the same way, there are no "SDA Christians." One must renounce their false religion to become a Christian. He can't stay in it. Islam and Christianity are diammetrically opposed to each other. The same holds true for many of the teachings of the cults. You cannot serve two masters.
    You cannot beleive in Christ and Allah at the same time.
    You cannot believe in Christ as deity, and Christ as non-deity at the same time, and still expect to be saved.
    You cannot believe that Christ atoned for your sins and Christ did not atone for your sins at the same time and expect to be saved.

The Bible says: "A double minded man is unstable in all his ways."

You make God out to be double-minded in His ways.
    The Bible clearly says:
    "I am the way, the truth, and the life; no man comes unto the Father but by me." There is only one way to salvation. God does not arbitrarily pick and choose individuals out of every religion to be saved regardless of their anti-Christian message.
    DHK

18. pinoybaptist

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    DHK:

A Christian in the Bible is one who belongs to Christ by virtue of an act of God beginning in eternity past when He chose a people for His Name.

A Christian according to the world is one who follows a set of Biblical standards, holds to certain beliefs and practices which he claims to be Biblical, a publicly professed believer in and follower of Jesus Christ usually converted from a different religion or church affiliation, all of which may or may not be proof that he is indeed a regenerate child of God.

You confuse regeneration with conversion.

The Bible says God has His people among all nations, tongues, kindreds, and not all nations, tongues, or kindreds are in fact evangelized and therefore converted.

19. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

To infer or say that God outright chose some to go to Hell and chose others to go Heaven is a heretical doctrine.
    God did no such thing. He created man with a free will to choose between good and evil; to choose between rejection and reception of His Son.
    God doesn't not force anyone to be a Christian, such as Islam forces people to be Muslims.

God has no people among the Muslims. They are either Muslim or they are Christian. They either serve the devil or God, not both. The same held true for the Pharisees of whom Jesus said:

John 8:44 Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it.

If you are not born into God's family (via the new birth) you are a child of the Devil. The muslims I have spoken with have never heard of the new birth. If you are truly concerned about them, then get out of your chair, obey the Great Commission, and go to them, and give them the gospel. That is our duty. But don't wash your hands of neglecting the Great Commission like Pilate did, and say: I have nothing to do with these people because they are either the elect or not.
    God pity those that hold that unbiblical attitude.
    DHK

20. Russ Kelly

Russ Kelly New Member

DHK
    You have really gone to far when you say that you have never met an SDA who was saved?

Exactly what is the outward manifestation of a saved person? Have you every met a BAPTIST whom you were 100% positive was saved? I can only be sure about ME, not YOU. There are simply too may pretenders out there.

I will assure you that there are may millions of SDAs and even Roman Catholics who love the Lord with all their heart to the very best of their ability and knowledge. Most have never been exposed to our Baptist faith and God is not gong to send them to hell because we failed to evangelize them. They repeat the Apostles Creed just as we do.

At the age of 8 I was saved in a Southern Baptist Church. At the age of 29 I became an SDA for 10 years. Did I fall from grace? My faith in Christ and love for God never changed. Although I was certainly deluded by false doctrine, I was pushed there by false Southern Baptist doctrine concerning the Ten Commandments and Sunday. Who was to blame? A great many SDAs came out of the Baptist church!!!

Christ's flock can be found in many other folds, nations, toungues and peoples.