1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Are all reformed baptists Under "new Covenant theology" then?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by JesusFan, Dec 28, 2011.

1. Darrell C

Darrell C Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

2. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Galatians 3

1O foolish Galatians, who hath bewitched you, that ye should not obey the truth, before whose eyes Jesus Christ hath been evidently set forth, crucified among you?

2This only would I learn of you, Received ye the Spirit by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith?

You ask if this has to do with a covenant, the answer is yes. Now what is the faith by which we receive the Spirit of God. If the answer is anything other than faith in Christ, I would disagree with it.

But again...

3. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

4. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

5. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

6. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Darrell C
    Thanks again for the good posts and discussion. Sometimes it is good to see others have travelled a similar path....and considered some of the very same up's and downs....just with different faces on the people.
    I agree with most of what you have put forth....and you raise some good ideas for thinking about and implementing.

Jf..... I have and have had charasmatic friends who I believe are brothers despite some wrong ideas. Darrell made the point that we have to sort people out one at a time.....this is scriptural also Phil 3:

7. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am strictly Election. I believe free will is nothing but one wanting to be the deciding factor in his own destiny and I do not believe God gives us this choice for if he did none would be saved.

Election = Now the LORD had said unto Abram, Get thee out of thy country, and from thy kindred, and from thy father's house, unto a land that I will shew thee:

Some will say Abram choose to depart. Well he departed howbeit in somewhat of a different manner than God had told him to. God elected and Abram obeyed. I am not real sure free will wasn't the fruit that was eaten.

God then made a covenant with Abraham which would bring the blessings of Abraham on God's elect regardless of what they believe.

Did Paul discover he was of the elect when he was holding Stephen's coat or when he was in the wilderness for three years being taught by Jesus?

8. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

Coming to understand the doctrine of God's election is generally not one's first foray into theology. That comes with maturity when one begins to grasp the more intricate concepts of God's revelation, hence my co-opting of the quote in my signature.

I would say that most people find that they had a lot to do with their own salvation until they learn more about the God they now serve. Some, seemingly, never grow in their understanding of God to the point where they get over themselves...

9. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

10. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks, Iconoclast, and good point made here.

I am opposed to many, if not most, of Charismatic distinctives, which range from mild to insane, depending upon the individul fellowships. I love to debate the distinctives, but I have learned that I have to be careful that those I debate certain issues with are in fact at a point where they can discuss their beliefs without resorting to emotional response. There are not too many that can actually do that.

God bless.