1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Are alter calls Biblical or Baptist?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Craigbythesea, Aug 19, 2005.

1. USN2Pulpit

USN2Pulpit New Member

I try to make it clear that just because we have an "invitation" and a "time of decision," that doesn't mean that the invitation is ever closed - or that coming up front is a way to be saved.

I encourage it, if people want to share their decision before the body...up front is physically the most efficient place to do it, and to be up front, you normally have to walk the aisle.

As for a "time of decision," Criswell often said that each time a pastor preaches the Word, a verdict is demanded on the part of each listener - "will I be a 'doer' of the Word or not?." Why not set aside a time to devote to decision-making and prayer unto God? After all, we devote time to hymns, offering, announcements, sermons, and music specials, don't we? Shouldn't we provide our congregation with a moment or two for these important matters? And if coming up front to pray is meaningful for someone in the congregation, then let them...and if they pray where they stand/sit, praise God!

In saying this, understand that I'm not speaking of the manipulative forms of invitation many of us have seen. Nor am I saying that decisions made outside the church setting are any less meaningful.

2. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    An appeal for outward response (altar call) is vastly different from an appeal for inward response (an invitation).

EVERY sermon should have an invitation within it, to encourage folks repsonse to the inward working the Holy Spirit.

The man-made "altar call" is not in the Bible, not in history until Finney, and is horribly horribly abused today.

Alright?

Now, every head bowed, every eye closed and no one looking around. [cue organist to begin 25 verses of Just As I Am] [cue "workers" to start to "grease the wheel" by coming foward to motivate those who might not want to come]. Start with raising hands. Then standing.

45 minutes later we have numbers to send in to the Sword of the Lord SHOWING that God was working. Or that folks were physically or psychologically manipulated into coming to the "altar" (wherever THAT is in a Baptist church).

Oh, you got me started . .

Let's change to "Have Thine Own Way" . . . I see that hand!

3. untangled

untangled Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oopss.... I mispelled "altar". Well, I did not major in English.. [​IMG]

4. USN2Pulpit

USN2Pulpit New Member

Alright Dr.B.

I'm not sure who "got you started," but if it was me, that wasn't my intent, for you and I seem to be in agreement on the subject.

Beside, I only know 6 verses of "Just As I Am." We just sing it through 4 times before moving on to "Have Thine Own Way." [​IMG] :D [​IMG]

5. kubel

kubel New Member

I don't feel it's wrong to have one, nor do I feel it's wrong not to have one. We have an 'altar call' at our church, sing a hymn of invitation (usually just one verse unless theres people making their way up there). Then we pray and are dismissed.

But I do like the time that is given so you can take care of what you need to take care of then and there instead of putting it off until after the service.

6. Mission Man

Mission Man New Member

I don't really know about "alter calls" either...actually I have always heard it called by the name of "invitation." Don't know about others. But it is the "invitation" Christ has given to become 1 with Him and become a part of The Body of Christ. Again I don't know about others from other churchs but in the Church I am a part of the only time we go to the alter is during prayer, during invitation you are invited to go to the alter to pray, ALTHOUGH there is no certain posture that God has required you to take during prayer...therefore being at the alter IS Biblical but is not required.

7. David Ekstrom

David Ekstrom New Member

I was once a Hyles' follower. First hand I saw the altar call being abused and young children being carelessly baptized in an assembly line so that people with big egos could brag. Therefore, I'm a little careful about baptizing people right away. However, the abuse of a method doesn't invalidate the method. Those posting here who advocate baptizing immediately do not, I am sure, practice the abuse that I witnessed.
    It certainly is true that in the NT they baptized right away. At the same time, that's description, not prescription. My preference is have some good follow-up before baptizing new converts.

8. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Altar calls are neither scrilturally mandated, nor scripturally forbidden. Altar calls are neither exclusively Baptist nor non-Baptist in custom and practice.

9. jshurley04

jshurley04 New Member

While they have been effective in the past and I believe that it is not exactly scriptural because its creation was based in pride.

I do believe that for the call to come forward and make a public decision for Christ needs to be redesigned/invented. I believe that it is old and stale and in a post-modern culture, a better avenue needs to be developed.

10. dale kesterson

dale kesterson New Member

I am personally against alter calls. I have also seen it abused quite a lot, but I also see it as a hinderance to many as well. Altar call has become a "rite of passage" in many churches and "Just As I Am" the marching song. Many lay churchgoers or newcomers probably actually believe it is the first step to salvation. Picture them pondering if they should walk the aisle today and sign my soul over to the church or put it off until next week. Some churches actually have people come up just to start the "march". Could they pray where they are and accept Christ into their hearts where they stand? Oh, no! The pastor would not get credit for this!

No, stay where you are and ask Christ into your heart. Such a moment is very intimate and personal. Such need is hard to express in words and churches make it so technical but the Holy Spirit knows our very soul even more than we do.

In Christ alone,

dale

11. rjprince

rjprince Active Member

Neither Baptist, not Biblical

I do not think that the examples of calling people to Christ in Acts gives any credence at all to the “altar call”. Certainly we should preach the gospel and witness with great fervor, but the “altar call” not only has been frequently abused to manipulate decisions, it is particularly structured in a manner that is prone to manipulation. Often, the success or failure of a message is viewed in light of the public response that it generated. When pastors, evangelists, or missionaries use this method there is a subtle (or not) tendency to gauge ministry effectiveness on the basis of the number of “decision cards” signed.

I have certainly used, and certainly occasionally even abused, the practice, no doubt about that in my mind. Now, I do occasionally present the “sinners prayer” and invite anyone in the congregation to pray silently in their hearts if God is so leading. I STRESS that this is not a magic prayer that will save them simply by the process of its repetition. Rather, I clearly state that it is the faith in their hearts that God sees and counts as righteousness.

I am not opposed to a proper use of an altar call. But, having a degree in psychology/counseling, I am very aware that preachers often manipulate the crowd to their own ends. Yes, I know that is a strong statement that may rile a few, but I have watched it many times, and yes, I HAVE DONE IT as well. The sad illustration at the close of the message that brings tears to the congregation is sometimes a “set up” to elicit a response that causes many to leave the service saying “didn’t we see God at work today?” Maybe, maybe not. Perhaps what we really saw was the skillful manipulation of the congregation with maybe even an unconscious effort to give the appearance of successful ministry. DON’T GET OUT THE WOOD AND THE STAKE JUST YET, PLEASE. I am sitting in judgment of no man. The Lord will take care of that, just suggesting that since the heart is deceitful above all things and desperately wicked, perhaps we should be a little more open to evaluating our hearts in this matter of the alar call. Just a few of my thoughts on this one...

12. PamelaK

PamelaK New Member

13. PamelaK

PamelaK New Member

Oops...sorry....let me try that again in a minute...

14. PamelaK

PamelaK New Member

Ok, Dr. Bob, I guess you got me started now. I couldn't agree with you more. I detest the altar call, at least the way I have seen it done most of the time:

"All right, every eye closed now and no one looking around....there...now no one's looking. I wouldn't want to embarrass anyone, truly I wouldn't for the world, but no one's looking around, so if you want to be saved, just raise your hand so I can pray for you. Remember, no one's looking, so just raise your hand, just so I can pray for you." Then, after 5 more stanzas of music, everyone is asked to open their eyes and the people who he said he didn't want to embarrass are coerced to walk to the front because they raised their hands. Does this not seem a tad bit dishonest?? :mad:

15. Johnv

Johnv New Member

The altar call is neither scripturally mandated, nor scripturally banned. It is likewise neither a compulsion of Baptist belief, nor is it against Baptist belief.

I have no problem with altar calls. I only have a problem with altar calls that are coersive or compulsory.

16. StraightAndNarrow

StraightAndNarrow Active Member

Personally, I believe that this problem is due to the fact that the gospel most preachers present is not the complete gospel. Acceptance of Christ through faith and salvation through grace is emphasized.

What is almost never presented is the necessity to have a truely born again experience, a life changing one. We are not taught that decipleship is a necessary part of being a genuine Christian. Picking up our cross and following Him is not an option. It's a requirement. Works have no part in accepting Christ. Christian works do have a part in the life of a genuine (saved) Christian.

17. bapmom

bapmom New Member

StraightAndNarrow,

What I see in your niece's case is the problem with crusades. Most of them preach the gospel perhaps, and gain professions, but because they are not based from a single church, the people go straight back into the same life they lived before....no church "won" them, so they don't tend to go to one. You know the phrase, "what you win them with, you win them to."

Im trying to say, that I don't believe your niece's problem was in the altar call, but rather in the fact that it was run by a crusade rather than a particular local body of believers within a church setting.

Im not saying that all altar calls are done right, but at least within the church setting there are personal workers who get to know the one who came forward, can help answer questions, and can help get them coming for that further training that we all need.

If no one is discipling her, than of course she won't be growing like she ought to.

18. Bro. David

Bro. David New Member

Dr. Bob says; "An appeal for outward response (altar call) is vastly different from an appeal for inward response (an invitation).

EVERY sermon should have an invitation within it, to encourage folks repsonse to the inward working the Holy Spirit.

The man-made "altar call" is not in the Bible, not in history until Finney, and is horribly horribly abused today.

Alright?

Now, every head bowed, every eye closed and no one looking around. [cue organist to begin 25 verses of Just As I Am] [cue "workers" to start to "grease the wheel" by coming foward to motivate those who might not want to come]. Start with raising hands. Then standing.

45 minutes later we have numbers to send in to the Sword of the Lord SHOWING that God was working. Or that folks were physically or psychologically manipulated into coming to the "altar" (wherever THAT is in a Baptist church).

Oh, you got me started . .

Let's change to "Have Thine Own Way" . . . I see that hand!"

Very good! Jesus came to seek and Save sinners, He still does! When God opened Lydia's heart, He did it right there by the river at Philippi. (Acts 16:12-15) No walking the isle - or nuthin'!
    Raising the hand, walking the isle, repeating after me,...etc. are they not works? Sure they are. If one is Saved during a service they are Saved right where they are! God opens their heart while they are right there on the pew, in the folding chair, standing against the wall, or even sitting on the floor. Of course if that same person is lead to come down front and shake the Preacher's hand - fine, but out of necessity for Salvation? Certainly not! Salvation full and free, sitting, standing, riding in your car, or even in one of your college professor's office - that's the way God does it!
    Love in Christ Bro. David Heb. 7:25

19. bapmom

bapmom New Member

I must have had extraordinary "luck" in the churches I've attended..... [​IMG]

Ive never seen anything like what Dr. Bob and Bro David have described. Thats not to say I doubt their word. Perhaps I doubt that the abuse of the altar call is all that prevalent amongst our fundamental churches.

No invitation Ive ever been in has ever made walking the aisle a requirement for salvation. In order to avoid misunderstanding we encourage people to come forward and actually talk one-on-one with someone. To me this would certainly avoid any 1-2-3-pray after me ditty that might occur from the preacher leading some sort of mass prayer from the pulpit without any individual attention.
    It gives us a chance to really be sure they understand and really know what they are doing. It also shows that they really are comitted to making the decision. Of course, if you'd rather say they probably got saved in their seat, fine. They still need to start the discipling process, which begins, in the least, with realizing what their decision means.
    So whether the person gets saved in their seat, or at the front, really makes no difference.

Id also not out-of-hand reject a church that did not have altar calls.....but I would look at their reasoning behind leaving them out. It would be a matter of questioning, to me.

20. StraightAndNarrow

StraightAndNarrow Active Member

Not my niece. But, I have seen much the same thing when people make professions of faith in a local church and then 2 years later revert to their previous life styles. I believe in what is described in the title of Dietrich Bonnhoffer's book, "The Cost of Decipleship." I haven't heard a sermon along those lines for a long time.