1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Are American Baptist Evangelicals liberal?

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by concorde_ron, Jan 11, 2002.

1. concorde_ron

concorde_ron Guest

I just attended a church that is part of the American Baptist Evangelicals. I did some research and see that they are against capital punishment, against abortion but recognize differing views by its members, have two females with the title Reverend on their board. They also make reference to and I quote, "We affirm that God through Jesus Christ calls us to be an interdependent people who bring the free church tradition to cooperative and ecumenical Christianity". I'm not sure what they mean by "ecumenical Christianity".
    Their Statement of Faith seems very sound but these peripheral issues make me wonder? Please respond. Thank You!

2. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am not in the least familiar with such an organization. Could you post a link to some website of theirs that will give us some idea? From what you say, they would be classified as very liberal.

Ordaining women and anti-death penalty are two of the really big "causes" of liberals in many Baptist groups. Hey, no condemnation of it (here) just stating the fact.

3. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The American Baptist Evangelicals are supposed to be a "conservative" and "evangelical" group within the American Baptist Churches in the USA. Of course, what is "conservative" and "evangelical" within the ABCUSA might be "liberal" and "ecumenical" to others. I have no personal experience with them. Go here to find a link to their web site. The link is in the sixth post on the second page.

[ January 11, 2002: Message edited by: rlvaughn ]

4. Chris Temple

Chris Temple New Member

I'm moving this to the denominational board [​IMG]

5. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks, Chris, for moving this over to us. [​IMG]

6. concorde_ron

concorde_ron Guest

7. concorde_ron

concorde_ron Guest

Here is another link to the American Baptist Churches site of which the American Baptist Evangelicals are affiliated) that lists their identity statement. http://www.abc-usa.org/idstate.html
    If you check under the heading An Interdependent People, they make the statement "who bring the free church tradition to cooperative and ecumenical Christianity". Well, the Mormons, Jehovah Witness, Bahai, and other cults consider themselves "christian". Does theis imply that they American Baptists fellowship with others and they see that "all roads lead to heaven"?

8. Michael D. Edwards

Michael D. Edwards New Member

The American Baptists, I feel, can be objectively said to be liberal. They have removed themselves from the literal application of Biblical truths (homosexuality, women as pastors, and others...).

Thanks
    Michael