1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Are Baby Dedications Biblical?

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by Jabbezzz, Nov 26, 2004.

1. Jabbezzz

Jabbezzz New Member

Should protestant pastors dedicate babies, and if so, what is the biblical precedent for this practice?

2. tamborine lady

tamborine lady Active Member

[​IMG]

I think it is good for parents to dedicate their children to the Lord, but I can't (at the moment) think of any scripture to back it up.

HMMMMM------

Tam

3. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

We don't have baby dedications - we have parent dedications.

4. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Hannah dedicated her child to the Lord is the only time in scripture that I can recall, but there are enough verses to say to train up a child correctly, to teach our children to follow Christ, etc.. While the ceremony itself in a church setting doesn't appear to be mandated, I think it's a nice thing to do, it recognizes the value of life and reinforces the parents obligation to raise the child right.
    Gina

5. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would estimate (conservatively) that 90-95 % of the average worship service would be heretical IF "Biblical precedent" were used as the yardstick!

And I would add "doesn't appear to be condemned"! What matters is how does the practice (whatever it is) fit the overall teachings and principles of God.

Obviously not every situation is going to be explicitly referenced in Scripture, BUT if you are really concerned, a principle will be forthcoming to guide you in your choice.

Like Ivory soap (99 94/100 % pure) this one facet of God's word is responsible for all manner of heresies, cults, denominations, arguments etc. After all if God had emphatically said, "Do not ever consume ANY alcohol in ANY form, at ANY time!!",
    then how many discussions re: the "sin" of drinking would there be?

6. grace56

grace56 Guest

I see where we are told to repent and be Baptised everyone of us. I don't see any passages where any of the Aposltes went and out and dedicated whole households for the Lord, they Baptised whole households.

Grace56

7. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

There are many things that are done in the Church that are not Biblical. But thet are not unbiblical either. Much is traditional. (Sunday school, bus ministry, special music etc.)

8. donnA

donnA Active Member

If there is nothing in scripture to prevent it, how can it be unbiblical? As someone said Hannah dedicated Samuel to the Lord. Did she do something worng? From what I've seen parents dedicating their child to the Lord means they are making the promise to teach their children about God and His commands and to follow Him, teaching them about Jesus and sin, bringing them up in a christian home taking them to church, etc. It is also the church promising to provide a good place where the falimy can go to learn and worship with thier child.
    It is has never as far as I have ever seen have anything to do with salvation. All involved know this, it's only those on the outside who beleive this.

9. billwald

billwald New Member

How come they never dedicate their paychecks to the Lord?

10. donnA

donnA Active Member

And how do you know they haven't?
    The bible doesn't say to give your entire pay to the church, but it does say to give your child over to God, to teach then to live the way God wants us to, as opposed to doing nothing letting them 'make their own decisions' on what they want to beleive when they are grown. Which is one of the most rediclous statements I've ever heard a christian parent say.

11. joyfulkeeperathome

joyfulkeeperathome New Member

"Suffer the children to come unto me and forbid them not" is what comes to my mind. When we dedicated our baby to the Lord, we were doing so as a promise that we would do everything we could to raise our child right and bring her to Jesus. Of course, we can't force her to be saved, but we can show her the way. I don't see anything in the Bible condemning what we did with our daughter.

12. billwald

billwald New Member

>And how do you know they haven't?

Anyone ever seen a paycheck dedication ceremony?

In biblical times parents could dedicate children because children were property - so were wives.

13. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

In addition to Samuel, Jesus Himself was presented at the Temple when a few days old. Arguably, this could be viewed as congruent to dedication...

Yours in Christ

Matt

14. grace56

grace56 Guest

Matt, he was presented for circumsion at the age of eight day and given the name Jesus, see Luke 2:21.

Circumsion was the sign of the Old Convenent and baptism is the sign of the New Convenent. Both done to infants, and adult converts.

grace56