1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Are Baptists Calvinists Or Arminianists?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by BobinKy, Dec 21, 2010.

1. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

But you quoted it as if it were fact. I challenged that fact and you cannot show that it was Calvin who said it. I'm sorry but it is not levity to accuse someone (who apparently seems to be an enemy of yours) of saying something as offensive as you quoted - especially when the link you gave lied and said that Calvin burned anabaptists at the stake. It is obvious that the two are tied together and you absolutely pass judgment on Calvin with respect to the Servetus issue. You did so by posting an unfounded quote.

As Rippon said, a simple "I'm sorry, I was wrong" would have sufficed but instead you say "There's nothing to apologize for." Most of us see otherwise. :rolleyes:

2. BobinKy

BobinKy New Member

Will this quote do?

John Calvin writes: “Solomon also teaches us that not only was the destruction of the ungodly foreknown, but the ungodly themselves have been created for the specific purpose of perishing (Prov. 16:4).” (Calvin’s New Testament Commentaries: Romans and Thessalonians, pp.207-208)​

Courtesy of Society of Evangelical Armenians.

...Bob

#42 BobinKy, Dec 21, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 21, 2010
  3. BobinKy

BobinKy New Member

4. BobinKy

BobinKy New Member

Post deleted by BobinKy

#44 BobinKy, Dec 21, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 21, 2010
  5. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

What's ironic about that? You're too vague sometimes.

The most "on fire" people in the past five centuries have by and large been Calvinists.

Reading on I see now. You were talking about Calvin burning Servetus at the stake. I think that is kinda low Quantum.

Servetus was a heretic who was determined to undermine the Gospel.

Obviously though Calvin was not referring to that kind of fire.

#45 Luke2427, Dec 22, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 22, 2010
  6. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

It depends- what do you want it to do. If you want it to express a great truth that the natural man finds horribly unpalatable- then yes- it will do.

7. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

I second that , Bro. Salty. Baptists are many different flavors.

8. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

They have historically been predominantly Calvinistic. That is not to say that Smyth did not come along and make a significant portion of them Arminian.

But they began and continued for a long time to be majority Calvinistic.

The Southern Baptists were Calvinistic in their early days and into the first quarter of the last century. As is usually the case liberalism made them more Arminian. But as they became more conservative they began to become more Calvinistic. Thank God they are beginning to return to their roots.

9. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Amen. Scripture sometimes isn't easy to hear but it is truth. :godisgood:

10. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

Yes, much better, however, while I'm sure you can get accurate info from that site on Arminianism, their info on Calvinism will likely be biased. Finding a similar source for Calvinism will give you more reliable information on what they believe. You can tell from the conversations here, if you read between the bickering, that Calvinists don't believe exactly the same, nor do all nonCals believe in a manner that would make them Arminian. So read about both views with a mind open to the leading of the Holy Spirit and look up the scripture references that are given to be certain they are quoted in context. The Holy Spirit will give you the understanding you need to do His work in the place you have been planted.

11. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Quantumfaith still has not come clean and admitted that his "quote" was a complete lie.

Better fess up. Lies won't promote your philosophy.

12. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This was the "quote" that Quantumfaith attributed to John Calvin. It is totally bogus. If he won't admit it -- it shows his utter disregard for truth-telling.

13. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The short answer is "Yes".

14. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

Rippon,

I didnt (and still dont know) that it is not with all certainty attributable to Mr. Calvin and neither do YOU. I agree NOW it is unlikely, but it does not take away from the historical fact that Mr. Calvin did in the name of his beliefs have persons executed, and UNDENIABLE FACT of history. I see your level of immaturity and how you simply love inflame and stir the pot.

15. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Let's get this straight. You post a lie and yet I am the one who is supposed to be the bad guy in this? That doesn't compute.

Calvin did not execute anyone. He didn't have the authority. He didn't even become a citizen of Geneva until 1559, a mere five years before his death. The council of which he was a member was largely against him --the Libertines.

Bottom line. You still won't admit after all the time that has passed by that your quote was a bold-faced lie. You didn't manufacture the quote,but you were pleased to pass it on -- to what end?Yes,to stir the pot with false and therefore evil report.

16. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Calvin was not the executioner, but he certainly was guilty of being an accessory to a number of executions.

17. Bro. James

Bro. James Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    All Hail: Jon Chauvin or Jacobus Arminius

We may have left out a possible answer to the question: none of the above. Some of us still want to follow Apollos, some Cephas, some Augustine...etal...ad infinitum.

I could probably qualify as a 6-point Calvinist; but I do not follow Calvin. He was no friend to the True Baptist--nor was Luther. Arminius was a salvation by works/grace guy according to my opinion. Calvin said baptism is a sacrament with redeeming qualities applicable to infants. What's wrong with that? There are many called Baptist who seem to be Arminian. Some Baptists are in name only. Other Baptists, so called, have removed the word Baptist from their logos.

Que lastima!

The disciples were called Christians first at Antioch.
    The Lord knows them that are His.
    They hear His voice and follow Him. They will not follow any another.

Let us get out of our religious comfort zones, people, our redemption draws neigh.

Selah,

Bro. James

#57 Bro. James, Jan 18, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2011
  18. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

But that site is not comparing like with like. The section on Arminianism starts:

Arminianism may be represented by the acronym FACTS:
    Freed by Grace (to Believe)
    Atonement for All
    Conditional Election
    Total Depravity
    Security in Christ
    These points broadly and roughly correspond to the historic Articles of Remonstrance (though they are not specifically a representation of them), which were composed in July 1610 by early Arminians and constitute the first formal summary of Arminian theology.
    Then the section on Calvinism begins:

The Calvinist position may be represented by the acronym TULIP:
    Total Depravity
    Unconditional Election
    Limited Atonement
    Irresistible Grace
    Perseverance of the Saints
    These are derived from the Synod of Dort, a local synod in Holland, which convened in 1618-1619 to contradict and condemn the Articles of Remonstrance.
    Notice the difference. The Arminian Articles of Remonstrance (there were five of them) "constitute the first formal summary of Arminian theology." The so-called five points of Calvinism were not composed as a summary of Calvinist theology, but in answer to the Arminian Articles of Remonstrance.

Calvinists believe far more than the 5 points, which only addressed the five matters of the Remonstrance.

19. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

UNBELIEVABLE!!!!!

I was not around when this thread was running. I just read through it, and I must say I'm shocked at how much a person will do, to dodge guilt.

quantumfaith ....you once said you read Calvin. The more I read of your post, I find this very hard to believe.