1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Are Baptists Protestants?

Discussion in 'Baptist History' started by Luke2427, Oct 15, 2010.

1. ituttut

ituttut New Member

To all

For consideration: Since most don't know where we come from why don't we start a New Church, named WE KNOW. And how do we know who we are? We belong to the Body of Christ Church that began at Pentecost? NO, No. We began at Antioch when we first saw the Light - Acts 11:26. Don't we believe the Word from heaven that revealed His Heavenly gospel to Paul, the only Apostle given to the Gentiles, and also the Jew?

Since WE KNOW, why don't we just accept that we BAPTIST KNOW WHOM WE BELIEVE, and that is the Lord Jesus Christ from heaven, in whose Gospel we believe?

2. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

Sounds great to me!!! However our history is a great study.

3. Bro. James

Bro. James Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    From whence we came

There are some of us who know exactly from whence we came. We go back to the shores of Galilee, circa 30 A.D., when Jesus, the Christ, started calling out His flock. He said, "Come, follow me, I will make you fishers of men." cf. Book of Jude

His followers have been fishing for men ever since in every generation, per Mt. 28:20. He said He would never leave them nor forsake them. He has kept His promise. We are still here. You will not find us listed in Who is Who in Religion. We have been considered heretics by the religious powers that be for the last two thousand years even through today. Martin Luther and John Calvin, etal, have had no time for us either.

We have survived the ravages of Rome and other persecutions by the grace and providence of God, as promised. Even so, come Lord Jesus.

Selah,

Bro. James

4. ituttut

ituttut New Member

5. ituttut

ituttut New Member

No doubt about it.

6. Bro. James

Bro. James Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Dogs, swine and Pearls

First: Church History. In Christ there is no Jew or Gentile, bond or free, male or female--we are all under the perfect law of liberty. The ekklesia, the called out for a purpose, is certainly demonstrated on the shores of Galilee and all through the ministry of Jesus--long before Pentecost.

Re: Mt. 7:6; I am getting something like: stay away from Mecca. Do not mix the truth with untruth, i.e. idolatry. Preach the Word, reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine--(perhaps not in brothels and bars on Bourbon St. during Mardi Gras). Let the Holy Spirit lead and draw according to His will, purpose and pleasure.

This is about making common that which is holy; but not in the same sense as Peter and his problem with bringing Gentiles into the flock.

Stay out of the synogogue of Satan--let the Lord deal with Satan.

Selah,

Bro. James

7. Old Union Brother

Old Union Brother New Member

Maybe it would be a very good thing if we all did a study of J. M. Carroll's Trail of Blood?

8. ituttut

ituttut New Member

Dear Bro. James. Have you not just identified yourself, as I posted, with OLD Testament Jewish by faith justification? All today are again Gentiles under Grace through faith.

The Bible will interpret itself, if we only let it. Please read further in Matthew, and you will come to Chapter 15:25-26, "Then came she and worshipped him, saying, Lord, help me. 26. But he answered and said, It is not meet to take the children's bread, and to cast it to dogs." I encourage you to read verses 21 thru 28 to see that Jesus has no words, while on earth for the Gentiles regarding their justification. This can only happen after Damascus Road.

9. ituttut

ituttut New Member

Old Union Brother please see mine above to Bro. James. John the Bapist never had any Word for the Gentile. John was of the Old Testament, and not of the New Testament.

10. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    Folks, we have wandered off into theology, not history. Please return to the topic.

Thank you.

11. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

This Day In Baptist History is not a narrative of the history of Baptists; however, it (actually I believe there are now at least three books in this set) is an extremely useful book that details some of the events in the lives of our Baptist forefathers.

The book(s) draw the reader's attention to what these men and women had to endure simply because they refused to submit the state-controlled churches right here in the early days of America's history.

Alas, most folks have no idea of who these people were!

Every Baptist pastor and every Baptist lay person ought to read at least one of these books! If it doesn't touch your heart, I don't know what would.

They are available on Amazon.

12. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are Baptists Protestant? Some are. Some aren't. It largely depends on your definition of "Baptist."

If you believe "Baptist" is a denominational name then, yes, those Baptists would be Protestant.

If, on the other hand, you believe "Baptist" indicates a doctrinal identity, as I do, then, no, Baptists are not Protestants for scriptural believers have existed in every generation from the time of Christ until now. :)

13. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

For what it is worth, I agree with you.

14. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    See! The age of miracles is not past! :D:D

15. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

10-4 Doc!!

16. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

My understanding of the term Protestant is that it describes those who split away from the Roman Catholic Church during the Reformation.

Baptists are not Protestants for the reason you gave. They did not split off from the RCC.

17. Zenas

Zenas Active Member

Is a direct break with the Catholic Church a requirement for being a Protestant? If that is the case there really aren't very many Protestants. You would have Lutherans, Anglicans/Episcopalians and the Reformed variety of Presbyterians. However, you would have to exclude such significant groups as the Methodists and a large number of Presbyterians. You would also have to exclude the thousands of nondenominational churches.

So far as I can determine, Baptists came from the Anabaptist movement of John Smyth and Thomas Helwys, both of whom were prominent Anglicans. Anglicans, of course, came straight out of the Catholic Church. From a historical perspective, wouldn't that make Baptists just as Protestant as Methodists? I should think so.

18. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What a good post Randy.

19. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Right on the mark!