1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Are Catholics Christian?

Discussion in 'Polls Forum' started by shaneg, Aug 28, 2005.

?
  1. No it is not possible to be RC and a true Christian

86.1%
  2. Yes it is possible to be RC and a true Christian

13.9%
  3. Unsure

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. shaneg

shaneg New Member

Hi I am new to the site and curious about everyones opinion on this.

2. citizenofheaven

citizenofheaven New Member

I cannot believe that 62% of "Christians" Believe that you can trust in Water baptism and Wafers for salvation and still be saved. Scary, very scary.

3. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think Anglicans and even Baptists (despite so much evidence to the contrary) can be true Christians.

4. Askjo

Askjo New Member

Some people, who are former Baptist members and got saved through witnessing, joined a Roman Catholic Church because of getting married to Catholic members.

Some people, who are not saved and were former Roman Catholic Church, joined a Baptist church. Maybe they are Christians or not.

Only God knows their heart.

5. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have some definite problems with Catholicism.

That being said, I personally know of a handful of Catholics that I went to school with who are true Christians.

What is very sad to me is not my problems with Catholicism, but the large number of people who sit in a Southern Baptist church every Sunday who are going to split hell wide open.

I don't necessarily disregard all Catholics as being brothers and sisters in Christ. There are many of them.

And I don't necessarily assume that all my Southern Baptist cohorts are my brothers and sisters in Christ.

Catholicism has some major flaws that are leading people down the wrong spiritual path. I understand that.

But there are also Southern Baptists who are assumming that their salvation is dependent on their "church membership", their deacon membership, being a Sunday School teacher, their showing up on Sundays,......

You get the idea.

Peace-
    Scarlett O.
    &lt;&gt;&lt;

6. citizenofheaven

No denomination can save anyone. Likewise, no denomination can send anyone to hell.

However, You can Rightly say that no Catholic is saved, much less Christian (there is a difference)

The reason being as follows. The Catholic teaching concerning salvation is that a person must be a member of the Catholic institution, Baptised (by sprinkling) in the Catholic institution and partake in the sacriments performed by the Catholic institution.

If you are trusting these things for salvation, you are NOT SAVED.

If you are not trusting these things for salvation, you ARE NOT CATHOLIC.

Therefore a Catholic cannot be saved.

7. Rachel

Rachel New Member

I agree with Scarlett.

8. shaneg

shaneg New Member

Thanks for the response everyone. I was Catholic for 32 years and this is a question I really struggle with. If I look back at the parish I was in I can honestly say that I dont believe anyone really understood the Gospel it was all about there own works mostly.
    I guess in a way I would like to be wrong as my family is still Catholic and I do pray for them but like I say its something I struggle with as when you study the bible it seems so opposed to Catholic beliefs

9. Johnv

Johnv New Member

One's demonational affiliation has no bearing on salvation, nor should it be a litmus test for presuming one's salvation.

Christians are as discriminintory as anyone else. We will always like to believe that people of our own denomination are more likely to be saved than people who don't. A Baptist will always tend to believe that a Baptist is more likely to be saved than a non-baptist. It's normal sinful human nature to believe like this.

10. dclark14

dclark14 New Member

My neighbor is Roman Catholic. He is a Eucharistic Deacon, and as a former high school teacher heads the CCD program of his church. We have many conversations in the driveway, and we both use the same biblical references and use the same words and expressions of faith when we discuss spiritual issues. If I didn't know where he is coming from as a Roman Catholic, however, I would conclude that he is saved. One day as we finished one of many conversations, he said, "Well- we can only hope for heaven when our time comes." He wasn't talking about the "Blessed Hope" of assurance, but the uncertainty of the results of good works and the sacraments.

11. atestring

atestring New Member

I have known many Roman Catholics that are saved.
    Just because they did not go through the "Yes I see that Hand" method does not mean that they are not saved.
    If they believe in their heart and confess with their mouth that Jesus is th Christ and
    If they repent and are baptized they are saved.
    Early Baptist poured water over ones head for Baptism and some Baptist still do this.
    Methodist sprinkle. Do you believe that John and Charles Wesley and Isaac Watts were not saved?
    If so then rip their songs out of your hymnbook.

12. paulsfocus

paulsfocus New Member

Just because they did not go through the "Yes I see that Hand" method does not mean that they are not saved.
    If they believe in their heart and confess with their mouth that Jesus is th Christ and
    Early Baptist poured water over ones head for Baptism and some Baptist still do this.
    Methodist sprinkle. Do you believe that John and Charles Wesley and Isaac Watts were not saved?
    </font>[/QUOTE]Since when was baptism part of salvation? I thought the bible said
    Rom 10:9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. KJB

13. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Though now SBC, I got saved when I was a Catholic. Many people here got saved when they were Catholic. So that in and of itself prove wrong the statement that a catholic cannot get saved.

14. paulsfocus

paulsfocus New Member

Who said Catholics can't get saved?

15. WallyGator

WallyGator New Member

I agree with Scarlett's reply.

16. atestring

atestring New Member

</font>[/QUOTE]Since when was baptism part of salvation? I thought the bible said
    Rom 10:9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. KJB
    </font>[/QUOTE]The Bible says in Acts 2:38 When Peter was Ask , "What Must I do to be saved?"
    1. repent
    2. be baptized

So to answer your question , "since when was baptism a (part) of Salvation" I will tell you when. It was 50 days after The rescurrection of our savior, Jesus Christ.

[ August 31, 2005, 10:10 PM: Message edited by: atestring ]

17. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

Catholics CAN be Christians just like some Baptists may NOT be...

18. Rachel

Rachel New Member

So true.

19. citizenofheaven

atestring,

a. you are either

1. intentionaly lieing
    or
    2. you haven't spent ten minutes researching what you believe

"Repent and be baptized" was not a reply to the query: "what Must I do to be saved?". The verse actualy says:
    Salvation is a heart condition. (Rom. 10:10) When they heard the Word preached, they recieved it.

You do not have to pray a "sinner's prayer" to be saved. all you have to do is realize you are a sinner and trust the Lord Jesus Christ to save you.
    So, when "they heard this" (the word preached) and were "pricked in thier heart" (recieved the message and were saved) they asked Peter what to do. Salvation was not the question.
    So Peter tells them to be baptized for the remission of sins.

Now if a man has to do comunity service for the act of arson, is the point of his comunity service to give him an avenue to burn a house down?... Think hard!...

a[ ] Yes
    b[*] No
    c[ ] Undecided

If you said b (no) you're absolutely right!!!

The man doing the service for the act of arson is doing it because he has already burnt down a house. The same way that a man who is being baptized for the remission of sins has already had his sins remited.

Note that the goal is not salvation. The goal is the gift of the Holy Ghost (not tongues mind you), which was not recieved at salvation during the dispensation that acts was written in. Which brings us to:

B. The book of Acts is a transitional book written to the jews, to bring the Jews into the new testament.

Note the operative words:

Transitional, meaning things are changing. You never see one mention of anyone being baptized in water after Acts.

Jews, meaning this passage does not, has never and will never apply to a single gentile.

20. citizenofheaven

How can someone be Christian without being saved?