1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Are Catholics Christian?

Discussion in 'Polls Forum' started by shaneg, Aug 28, 2005.

?
  1. No it is not possible to be RC and a true Christian

86.1%
  2. Yes it is possible to be RC and a true Christian

13.9%
  3. Unsure

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. paulsfocus

paulsfocus New Member

Do you have any concept of dispensations :eek: ? The first part of Acts was still centered around the Jewish people. Nothing in Acts even applies to the Church age. To try to base doctrine on anything in Acts is a very fatal mistake.
    On top of that you take one verse in reference to water baptizm, and base your salvation on it?
    The Bible say's
    1Co 1:17 For Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the gospel: not with wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of none effect.

Notice he came not to baptize. If that's part of salvation, than why wasn't he baptizing the people that received the gospel?

What is the Gospel?
    1Co 15:3&4 For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures;
    And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the Scriptures:

Notice the Gospel Does not include baptizm as part of salvation.

Washed in the Blood?
    Rom 3:24&25 Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus:
    Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in his blood, to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God;

Notice it's His Grace and our Faith in Chist's blood, that redeems us from sin.

Here's another one on faith
    Eph.2:8&9 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
    Not of works, lest any man should boast.

Wow, not one thing about baptizm. Now that's amazing being that, 'baptizm is part of salvation'.

2. RebelBaptist

RebelBaptist New Member

Please don't say anything stupid like this again, citizenofheaven.

No Roman Catholic believes that they are saved by wafers and water.

3. atestring

atestring New Member

Do you have any concept of dispensations :eek: ? The first part of Acts was still centered around the Jewish people. Nothing in Acts even applies to the Church age. To try to base doctrine on anything in Acts is a very fatal mistake.
    On top of that you take one verse in reference to water baptizm, and base your salvation on it?
    The Bible say's
    1Co 1:17 For Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the gospel: not with wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of none effect.

Notice he came not to baptize. If that's part of salvation, than why wasn't he baptizing the people that received the gospel?

What is the Gospel?
    1Co 15:3&4 For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures;
    And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the Scriptures:

Washed in the Blood?
    Rom 3:24&25 Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus:
    Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in his blood, to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God;

Eph.2:8&9 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:

Wow, not one thing about baptizm. Now that's amazing being that, 'baptizm is part of salvation'.
    </font>[/QUOTE]I am not a dispensationalist!!!
    I also believe that water baptism is not just a cereemony or a chance to get wet.
    Something happened to me when I was baptized in water. I cannot explain it. YOu may have a problem with that but something spiritual took place.

4. Debby in Philly

Debby in Philly Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh, yes they do. Just ask a few. Not the higherups, but ordinary parish folks. That's what they percieve in actual practice - be Christened (even the word means "to make a Christian"), make communion.

5. citizenofheaven

citizenofheaven New Member

Please don't say anything stupid like this again, citizenofheaven.

No Roman Catholic believes that they are saved by wafers and water.
    </font>[/QUOTE]Catholic doctrine says that you must partake in the mass and be baptized in the Catholic institution to be saved. Anyone who doesn't believe this is not Catholic.

Besides that, every Catholic that I have ever talked to has told me that you must be baptized and partake in the mass to be saved. That's to say nothing of confession.

My uncle happens to be an extremely devout Roman Catholic, and he is not even friendly to us because we don't believe these things.

So please, do us all a favor and "please don't say anything stupid like this again", your ignorance is showing.

6. paulsfocus

paulsfocus New Member

The Bible say's

What is the Gospel?

Washed in the Blood?

</font>[/QUOTE]I am not a dispensationalist!!!
    I also believe that water baptism is not just a cereemony or a chance to get wet.
    Something happened to me when I was baptized in water. I cannot explain it. YOu may have a problem with that but something spiritual took place.
    </font>[/QUOTE]I didn't say you were a dispensationalist, I asked if you had "any concept of dispensations?" Obviously from your post you are not.

I have no doubt something happened to you when you were baptized. I just know from my Bible that it wasn't salvation.
    The Bible say's,
    1 John 4:1 - Beloved, believe not every SPIRIT, but TRY the SPIRITS whether they are of God: because MANY FALSE prophets are gone out into the world.(Emphasis mine)KJB

7. citizenofheaven

citizenofheaven New Member

I understand that you have recieved more light than the Apostle Paul:

1Cor. 9:17b "a dispensation of the gospel is committed unto me."

2 Tim. 2:15 "Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth."

But if given a choice of who to believe, Paul was inspired and you're not.

What you believe doesn't carry one ounce of weight against what God said. I don't believe that water baptism is just a chance to get wet either. However, it is not the means of salvation.

1 Peter 3:21 The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us (not the putting away of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God,) by the resurrection of Jesus Christ:
    Amen PF!!!

John 5:26 "But when the Comforter is come, whom I will send unto you from the Father, even the Spirit of truth, which proceedeth from the Father, he shall testify of me:"

If you have a spirit that is testifying of water, instead of Jesus Christ, it is not the Spirit of truth. To base your salvation on this is downright dangerous.

8. mixster

mixster New Member

Just as in every denomination it is on a individual basis. Not what you know but who you know!

9. Melanie

Melanie Active Member
    Site Supporter

As an RC I find the supposition that being a Catholic excludes you from being a Christian. This statement is laughable.

10. Ashleigh

Ashleigh New Member

I have an Aunt that is Catholic. I know that she is saved. So you can be Catholic and be saved. I also have a friend heer dad was Catholic and I know he was saved as a Catholic.

11. Charles Meadows

Charles Meadows New Member

Absolutely one can be catholic and be saved. All one needs is true faith in Jesus. I have always wondered how one can exclude anyone from salvation based on his/her "denomination". If a catholic man or woman has trusted the Jesus he/she is saved. To dispute this is to deny that faith can save.

12. Ashleigh

Ashleigh New Member

Yep you are right

13. kubel

kubel New Member

Agreed. My dad led my catholic grandfather to Christ.

14. Johnv

Johnv New Member

My catholic mother led me to Christ. I chose to leave the church, though, and she had no problem with that. Se cared about my soul, not about my affiliation.

15. Joanna

Joanna New Member

I voted no, although I do believe a Catholic can be saved in the Catholic church but then he will most likely come out of that system, as so many have done.

16. Artimaeus

Artimaeus Active Member

You cannot be saved by following the tenets of the Roman Catholic Church. If you are a member of the Roman Catholic Church and you get saved through faith in Jesus Christ then you have done so contrary to the tenets of that religion. Anyone, who adds works to faith cannot get saved. You may get mixed up later but you cannot do it to start with. This applies to all churches, denominations, religions, and/or philosophys.

17. Joanna

Joanna New Member

Right on Artimaeus, that is how I see it too.

18. Johnv

Johnv New Member

So my mother isn't saved, and neither am I?

19. Debby in Philly

Debby in Philly Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Catholics can get saved like anyone else. I just think that if they do, it is in spite of their church, not because of it. And when they get to heaven, the Lord will say, "You didn't have to do all of that!"

20. Joanna

Joanna New Member

Johnv, only the Lord can look in your heart. In case you're interested there is a very good website for Catholics and former Catholics by a converted priest. Lots of testimonies you can read or listen too.

http://www.bereanbeacon.org