1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Are Christians Suppose To Be Political?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Matt22:37-39, May 29, 2013.

1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Struggling to make a legitimate and equal comparison I see.

2. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    What was the popular vote?

3. Matt22:37-39

Matt22:37-39 New Member

You can't find anything in the bible to back up your stance.

Christians are going about it the wrong way. just like many do when they witness to someone and stand on the street corner, with signs about SIN and "You're a sinner" "you're going to hell" etc...all that does is turn people off, it repels people and hurts the name of Christ. There is a better way and it is through love and drawing others to God the way JESUS would do it.

Big difference.

#23 Matt22:37-39, May 29, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2013
  4. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    We need to be careful using that theory.

I could also say that there is nothing in the Bible to back up a church to have electricity!

The important question is: Does the Bible prohibit it!

But back to your statement - Mat tells us to go into the world - and I believe that includes the political world.

By the way - how would the Election have been different - if all Christians had voted?
    This chart breaks down to counties/parishes/boroughs, as well as statewide results

#24 Salty, May 29, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2013
  5. Matt22:37-39

I also want to say that I thought I was clear within my message, that I am worried about HOW Christians go about their political stance...I thought I conveyed this truth but here goes again.

Christians are going about it the wrong way. Just like many do when they witness to someone and stand on the street corner, with signs about SIN and "You're a sinner" "you're going to hell" pointing fingers etc...all that does is turn people off, it repels people and hurts the name of Christ. There is a better way and it is through love and drawing others to God the way JESUS would do it.

It is about fighting for TRUTH/PRINCIPLES, not RIGHTS. It about fighting for more accurate information…I always give ABORTION as an example. I’ve been saying this since the 90’s….and I’ve had 3, so I am speaking from experience.

I would NOT fight for NO abortion, as much as I would fight for ACCURATE INFORMATION so a woman can make a sounder decision. As a conservative, albeit more of a moderate, I feel neither side gets it, or their views have changed so much, that it isn’t about right and wrong anymore, than it is about other things…much like the church these days too…boy now that is another story right there, anyway, I don’t want girls to get LIED to like I was because of an agenda or be put in a position they regret later. They need to know and even watch what is actually going to happen to them physically, emotionally, to the baby etc…all the info that can be provided should be, so the person who maybe doesn’t have a regenerated heart can at least go by on the natural conscience that God gave every man. Remember change only comes from the INSIDE OUT…not outside in…that is what all psychopaths and narcissist do….it is all about the outwards not inward and how useful and effective are these people….they are NOT!

First of all we should never vote against our conscience, and we do much within our communities etc…but to bash presidents and have an all or nothing approach is foolish and non productive…I say get the facts out and let people have a choice…everything is about choice is it not anyway?

We as Christians need to be so in tune with God and others doing the right thing, that the world should able to look at us and see CHRIST!....that they too want what we have…that is what changed me at 22, I wanted the joy, peace and love I saw in the man witnessing to me. What we have should be CONTAGIOUS that the WORLD wants what we have.

Yes, let’s do our part and speak our minds and our views, and vote, but not at the expense of ourselves and relationship with God, and those who we are suppose to be ministering to, even Jesus said, you shall be my witnesses in Jerusalem (home town), Judea, (further) Samaria, (yet further) and the remotest of the earth. Same with what we do and where we start…”DON’T PUT THE CART BEFORE THE HORSE. If we do then we are only fooling ourselves, because nowhere in the bible will you see what is being practice by some professing Christians thinking they are going to change the world by their HATE, and EXTREMISM…didn’t work in the bible it isn’t going to work now.

6. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    yes we are to be involved in politics:

11 And as they heard these things, he added and spake a parable, because he was nigh to Jerusalem, and because they thought that the kingdom of God should immediately appear.

12 He said therefore, A certain nobleman went into a far country to receive for himself a kingdom, and to return.

13 And he called his ten servants, and delivered them ten pounds, and said unto them, Occupy till I come.

14 But his citizens hated him, and sent a message after him, saying, We will not have this man to reign over us.

Who is told to occupy?

is it only the church?

Where do we occupy?

Do we only occupy....in our homes?in our church?

Do we just forfeit the political to the ungodly?

Here is a nice link;
    http://www.albertmohler.com/2010/10...city-of-man-a-conversation-with-peter-wehner/

7. Matt22:37-39

Sorry, but Luke 19:...is referring to employee and employer not Government...nice try though.

The Parable of the Minas

11 Now as they heard these things, He spoke another parable, because He was near Jerusalem and because they thought the kingdom of God would appear immediately. 12 Therefore He said: “A certain nobleman went into a far country to receive for himself a kingdom and to return. 13 So he called ten of his servants, delivered to them ten minas, and said to them, ‘Do business till I come.’ 14 But his citizens hated him, and sent a delegation after him, saying, ‘We will not have this man to reign over us.’

15 “And so it was that when he returned, having received the kingdom, he then commanded these servants, to whom he had given the money, to be called to him, that he might know how much every man had gained by trading. 16 Then came the first, saying, ‘Master, your mina has earned ten minas.’ 17 And he said to him, ‘Well done, good servant; because you were faithful in a very little, have authority over ten cities.’ 18 And the second came, saying, ‘Master, your mina has earned five minas.’ 19 Likewise he said to him, ‘You also be over five cities.’

20 “Then another came, saying, ‘Master, here is your mina, which I have kept put away in a handkerchief. 21 For I feared you, because you are an austere man. You collect what you did not deposit, and reap what you did not sow.’ 22 And he said to him, ‘Out of your own mouth I will judge you, you wicked servant. You knew that I was an austere man, collecting what I did not deposit and reaping what I did not sow. 23 Why then did you not put my money in the bank, that at my coming I might have collected it with interest?’

24 “And he said to those who stood by, ‘Take the mina from him, and give it to him who has ten minas.’ 25 (But they said to him, ‘Master, he has ten minas.’) 26 ‘For I say to you, that to everyone who has will be given; and from him who does not have, even what he has will be taken away from him. 27 But bring here those enemies of mine, who did not want me to reign over them, and slay them before me.’”

8. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually, they got "selected" rather then elected.

First, since they are a county commissioner, they did get elected.

Second, God called them to enter the political arena, not that they were going to be successful in it. God's prophets - and they would NEVER call themselves prophets - were not judged by success, but by faithfulness.