1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Are Christians to Call Fellow Believers Christians?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by gekko, Apr 30, 2006.

1. gekko

gekko New Member

i've been thinking about this.

did the believers (i.e. Paul, Peter etc.) call themselves christians?

or was it just the outside world that coined the phrase on those that followed Jesus?

should we as believers call eachother Christians? or should we call eachother something else?

gek.

2. mcneely

mcneely New Member

Acts 11:26 "And when he had found him, he brought him unto Antioch. And it came to pass, that whole year they assembled themselves with the church and taught much people. And the desciples were called Christians first in Antioch."

It sounds like the Bible approves. If we were going to rename ourselves, wouldn't that new name just be a "coined phrase"? The title of Christian is the only one that the Bible seems to favor.

Don't be concerned about what we're called, just enjoy the life.

3. SpyHunter

SpyHunter New Member

I agree. Christianity does not deal with titles, labels, and the like. For example, referring to mcneely as "Brother Mcneely" almost cheapens the deep meaning of "koinonea," the rich connection and community that I share with a fellow believer whom I do not know socially.
    I suppose the only advice I can give is a token catchphrase from my generation:

Keep It Real.

SpyHunter