1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Are Church Bible Colleges any better than diploma mills?

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Plain Old Bill, Nov 18, 2004.

1. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

This is the kind of attitude that I detest.
    There is no "real" information here. It is more accurately the arrogant opinion of one who seems to "think somewhat of himself."

And that's my OPINION.

The truth is that most large colleges have become institutional monuments. They no longer have very much relevance to the local church.
    I find no biblical support for these man made monuments. What I find scripturally is that each local church is to "teach faithful men who shall be able to teach others also." The idea is to train preachers who will go out and start other local churches, who then train preachers who will go out and start local churches, who then train preachers who will go out...

As far as accreditation goes, it is only good for man to recognize man. It means nothing to the local church. Unless of course that "local" church is a member of some megalithic monstrosity such as the SBC. [​IMG]

In His service;
    Jim

2. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh, Jim, you dont like it because most of the sham, worthless diploma mill type schools today are KJVonly type and you recognize that.

I presented a case, not opinion.
    These schools are designed to keep $$ and workers and build the local church rather than shunt them off to a real school.

Colleges that offer a total college program (not a glorified bible institute) are almost always the effort of COOPERATION between churches or a board/group. Not just one man/one church.

Now, if you have problem, deal with the issue instead of attacking me with your pious "detesting".

And as for your "we can't get accredited so accrediting must be bad" mentality, join me in a new thread on the subject rather than shift the issue here.

3. Charles Meadows

Charles Meadows New Member

Jim,

I don't think anyone said there is anything wrong inherently with a church-based Bible institution - provided that the mission of the school is the edification of Christians.

Why do you make a fuss over accreditation? Should this not be based on a school's resources (faculty, library, etc)?

Going to bible college to study with like-minded believers is a noble thing. But degrees (especially advanced ones) from accredited bodies SHOULD have particular qualifications.

Devoted bible study under local ministers using only the KJB and a handful of very conservative books is not a bad thing. It may well strengthen your convictions and knowledge - but it won't qualify you to be a "doctor" of theology.

4. pastorjeff

pastorjeff New Member

I am limited in my participation to one church shepherding school, so I don't see why there is the assumption that a church would limit Studies to a particular Theological view point and a certain Bible version. Why would a local church not be equipt for the training up of believers to do the work of the ministry. I'm not against accredidation, but I don't think our goal in education is the accredited degree either.

5. Charles Meadows

Charles Meadows New Member

"Why would a local church not be equipt for the training up of believers to do the work of the ministry."

I certainly could be equipped. But training to be a minister is different than earning a degree in something.

6. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

Jim said, "This is the kind of attitude that I detest.
    There is no "real" information here. It is more accurately the arrogant opinion of one who seems to "think somewhat of himself."
    ------------------------------------------------
    Ok. this is hard to do with a stinky ol' shoe in my mouth. [​IMG]
    I apologize for this comment.
    The following words used by Dr. Bob set me "off", and I should have been a lot more gracious in stating my irritation.
    "Ludicrous" "Pathetic sham" "Real college" Real school"
    Maybe you did not mean to be condescending or arrogant. It came across that way to me. If you did not intend it that way, I apologize.

In His service;
    Jim

7. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

To the point of the thread.
    Yes, local New Testament church Bible Colleges are better than a diploma mill, or degree mill. That is if we understand such "mills" to be those "businesses" as designed to sell credentials for profit with no thought other than making a quick buck.

I know many a man, however, who have gotten ALL of their education at a local church Bible College, and are now on the mission field reaping the harvest. Local church Bible colleges are therefore not simply for edifying or equipping the local body.

So, to reiterate, local church Bible Colleges are infinitely better that those "sham" mills.
    BTW, I resent the comment that local church Bible Colleges "...are designed to keep $$ and workers..." as Dr. Bob said. This is too much of a generalization and is not true. Most that I know of do not keep workers, and are not designed to keep money. That comment sir, is unfair.
    In His servide;
    Jim

8. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

Some of these Diploma Mills honestly try to train people to do ministry just as some local churches do.
    My point is, why issue a degree at all? If the point is the training then why not just issue a diploma of training.It could say something like:

Bob Smith,
    Having completed an extensive course in Bible and doctrinal studies is awarded the Diploma of Biblical Studies.

Signed by the staff of the school,

Bob Smith,
    Having completed extensive advanced studies of Bible and doctrine is awarded the Diploma of Advanced Bilical Studies.

Signed by the staff

Bob Smith,
    Having completed an extensive course of study in Bible,Doctine,& subjects pertaining to pastoral ministry is awarded the Diploma of Ministry.

Signed by the staff.

To me this would be more honest and to the point. Then the students of these Church and Correspondent schools could be judged by thier fruit. Until then I think we will always be mixing apples and oranges when comparing them to Bible colleges and seminaries which sometimes do and sometimes don't do the job.To me the Bible institute should be more directly vocational ,training to do the job regardless of time involved(it may take more time then you think).

9. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I meant those terms as a "generalization" of diploma mills (where you pay $$, do a paper, and get an "urned" doctorate [​IMG] )

Sadly, MANY small church colleges are little more. They have no library, woeful faculty, little academic requirement more than a Sunday school, etc. The parallels, again, are GENERAL and not a blanket condemnation/endorsement of any school in particular (although I have a couple in my mind as I type)

Having been involved as the Dean of a college for nearly 5 years, and a prof at another, diploma mills AND their ilk in the guise of a church school are ludicrous, pathetic sham, not a real college. Hence my strong language. I did not mean to sound arrogant or condescending (but those ARE my spiritual gifts, you know . . ) :D :D

10. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

Dr. Bob,
    You have many valid points as well as being a funny guy.