1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Are drug abusers guilty of greed?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Sopranette, Feb 8, 2008.

1. Sopranette

Sopranette New Member

Are drug abusers guilty of the sin of greed? What does the Bible say that is specifically directed towards drug abusers?

love,

Sopranette

#1 Sopranette, Feb 8, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2008
  2. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have never found in scripture where it specifically addresses drug abusers anywhere. Greed, in scripture, seems to be always tied to material wealth.

3. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

4. rbell

rbell Active Member

Drug abuse, IMO, is the sin of sorcery (pharmakos).

A word study seems to bear that out, in my view.

5. Sopranette

Sopranette New Member

Good point, CC. Drug abusers ARE selfish.

rbell, how so? Please explain.

love,

Sopranette

6. Jewel

Jewel New Member

I don't think they are guilty of greed. But, if they are proclaiming to be Christian, I think they are guilty of idolatry. In my mind, if we are purposely doing something that inhibits us coming whenever GOD calls us, we are putting that thing in front of HIM.

7. Salamander

Salamander New Member

Drug abuse is an attempt at gaining a spiritual experience which place is a void that only God can fill.

8. Ivon Denosovich

Ivon Denosovich New Member

Are we fat people selfish? I hope not!

9. Sopranette

Sopranette New Member

Very well put, Salamander.

Apples and oranges, Brother Ivon. We need food to live. Our bodies do not need to get high on drugs. Besides, that's gluttony, to eat too much. Has nothing to do with drug abuse.

love,

Sopranette

10. guitarpreacher

guitarpreacher New Member

There's no way you can make a blanket statement about drug abuse because as many different people as you have abusing drugs, that's how many different attitudes and experience you have. I've worked with lots of addicts and each one is different. Just looking at the ones in our group right now - I have a lady that is in her early 50s. She had surgery that required a long and painful recovery, and in the recovery time she became addicted to pain meds. She was not seeking anything other than relief from the pain in her knees, which her doctor provided in form of Hydrocodone. Another in our group is a truck driver in his mid 30s who started using Crystal Meth to stay awake on the road. He wasn't seeking anything other than to make a living for his family. And we have our share of those who just thought drugs would be fun, and definately those who tried drugs to mask the emotional and spiritual pain they were living with.

In my case, the thing that led me to drugs was lonliness and the need to be part of a group. Unfortunately, it seemed at the time the only group available was the dopers. (This is a long story, so I'll spare the details)

Point is, when we see drug addicts or drug abusers we're seeing broken people who desperately need Jesus in their lives. No two got there the same way, but the good news of the redemptive love of Christ is the same regardless.

11. Sopranette

Sopranette New Member

I agree, guitarpreacher. There is no one pat answer that fits everybody. Every one of us has a reason behind every bad decision we've made. But so far, I have seen some pieces of the puzzle that could lead to a whole picture. Couldn't greed be a factor? Selfishness? Lonliness? A lack of spirituality? A loss of self control, at the expense of your own physical health? Worshiping drugs as a means to help heal a broken heart? Aren't these all sins? I'm not talking about drug addiction; at that point, it becomes a health issue. I'm talking about the ones who snort cocaine or whatever on the weekends, then go about the week as if nothing wrong has happened.

love,

Sopranette

12. rbell

rbell Active Member

Revelation 21:8 refers to "sorcerers."

In this passage, the word 'sorcerers' comes from the greek word 'pharmakos' (Strongs # 5332) which is derived from the greek word 'pharmakon' and is defined in Strong's Greek Dictionary of the New Testament as follows: "druggist, poisoner."

Magic, and spells, and attempts to contact the dead in the first century often involved the use of mind-altering substances.

Of course, one could always fall back on the idea of "drunkenness" as well, when looking for a snapshot of how the Bible views drug usage. Whereas "sorcery" carries the idea of drugging to acheive some sort of altered state or connect with another power....drunkenness carries more the idea of simply giving control of one's self and faculties over to a substance.

Like others said...many reasons folks do it.

Yep.

13. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

I think you have the right perspective. You hear addicts saying that they would do anything to get their next fix Many times that involves criminal activity. On the other hand, others do the same thing with money or possessions or alcohol. In all of these cases, there's no room for God. Their lives are controlled by something else.