1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Are Fat Jokes Ever Appropriate & or Funny

Discussion in 'Polls Forum' started by Mishelly, Jun 19, 2006.

?
  1. Are they Appropriate?

66.7%
  2. Are they Funny?

85.2%
  3. Do you laugh at them?

92.6%
  4. Do you tell them?

77.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Friend of God

Friend of God Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm 5'6" and used to weigh in at 275. After being diagnosed with Severe Depression over two years ago I am now down to 200.

I would no more laugh at a "fat" joke any more then I would laugh at a "blind" joke.

People who are heavy know it. They don't need it pointed out to them several times a day - followed by laughter.

Yes, being overweight is often a case of lack of self-control, but, would you laugh at someone who has Cancer?, or who has HIV/AIDS?

Jesus said "Let him who is without sin cast the first stone"

"Stones" hurt when they're verbal too. Please don't misunderstand me I'm no "SuperSaint" I have my "smudges" just like everybody else. My tongue is the hardest thing for me to control, but if I don't do it -
    Who will?

One of my "smudges" is that my posts are sometimes too long. If somebody wants to make a joke about it - go ahead.

Rob

2. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

There are just too many overweight people who are struggling to lose weight on this board for me (or anyone else) to make fun of them.

For some of them, losing weight is literally a matter of life and death.

I do NOT find that funny... :tear:

If it was easy to be slim, there would be no obesity. For some, it is a lifelong struggle.

Good post, Rob! :thumbs:

3. Pete

Pete New Member

What about all the Japanese fishing boats waiting out there? Sometimes I almost feel those harpoons..... ;)

My quack is always on my back about weight or something like that. Says it's going to kill me....I keep forgetting to ask when :confused: More than once I've gone to have tea at Maccas after come out of the doc's :D I dunno why doc gets so worked up, I'ld keep a team of grave-diggers busy for years if it did knock me off.

Hit a new record today at weigh-in, about 358¼lb. Decided I might try working on seeing how long it would take to get rid of about 3/7ths of that....then get the fun part of seeing how long it takes to get back there. I love yo-yos.

4. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

I like to tell 'um on myself---yes, Baptist Board---my name is Blackbird and I am overweight

Sometime ago I started having back pain----not too too bad--but I was being harrassed enough by it to visit a doctor----so I picked one out---an orthopedic doc---I found out later that he was a combat/trauma surgeon in Vietnam---

anyway---I told him what the problem was

"Its my back, Doc!"

He told me

Stand up on your feet

Now, bend down and touch your toes

The problem isn't your back, Preacher! The problem is your stomach!! Look at it in the mirror! Your gut stickin' way out---if you loose about 50 lbs--you'd stop complainin' about your back hurtin' all the time!

Then many of you haven't ever heard Evangelist Junior Hill tell stories of his overweight problem

One that he told goes something like this

Don't 'cha just hate it when these Health nuts tell you what all they do to get healthy??

"I run 5 miles a day!"
    "I swim 40 minutes a day!"
    "I bicycle 20 miles a day!"

I always want to tell um when I hear them say that---"Why, that ain't nothin'!!! I can eat 5 Whoppers for dinner!!!":laugh:

5. Gib

Gib Active Member

I came out of the gym and ran into a family coming in. A little girl said, "Daddy, look at him."

Daddy looked at me and was obviously overwhelmed by my pythons and said, "Yea, he's got really big arms."

Little girl said, "Yea, and he's got a really big belly too." Daddy apologized. I told him not to worry about it because little kids just tell it like it is.

6. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

I was picking on a friend once, and she hauled off an hit me in the belly. She got this funny look on her face, mixed with pain, and said, "Hey! It's not supposed to be that hard when it sticks out like that!"

7. Pete

Pete New Member

5 Whoppers™ for dinner? Come on blackbird, that ain't dinner, that's ENTREE!! :laugh:

My back knocks me flying now and then. Last year it have me a real beauty (ended up off work for 5-6 weeks or so with it), so anyways I goes to Doc knowing full well what she'ld come out with, sure enough "I'm going to read you the riot act!" *Insert "Too fat, gonna die, blah blah blah speech" here*:sleeping_2: Maccas never tased as good as after listening to that garbage :D

But yeah now back & feet pain been getting more frequent so trying to do something about it. Rabbit food and budgie mix....PAH! Why is it the stuff that tastes great is bad for you, and the stuff that tastes rotten is good for you? Was it John Maxwell or Frank Peretti or someone who said "Before the fall ice-cream had no calories, and broccoli was bad for you!" :smilewinkgrin: