1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Are Horror Movies Okay for Christians to Watch?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Sopranette, Dec 27, 2007.

1. donnA

donnA Active Member

Those old b&w are my favorite.

2. Jason Derksen

Jason Derksen New Member

I'm not completely prepared at this time to call something as broadly defined as "watching horror movies" an outright sin. But maybe I could shed a little light on what I try to keep in mind.

As Christians we must be very careful what we allow into our minds.

When we allow images into our mind, they can never be truly and completely removed. We may be able to forget them for a while, but even if only in our subconsciousness, they are still there. When we allow our mind to dwell on "dark" images, then we open up an door into our mind for the devil to influence us.

We are very careful what we allow into our bodies through our mouth (e.g. smoking, drinking, drugs); we are careful what we allow into our ears (rock-music, filthy language, off-color jokes) because we understand that they will be harmful to, not only our physical body, but also our spiritual well-being. Why should we not be careful about the types of things we allow ourselves to see.

Just some thoughts,
    Jason Derksen

3. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I'm with Joshua and Saggy on this. I don't like to be scared so I don't watch them. I USED to love to read Steven King but can't anymore.

SHUDDER

4. donnA

donnA Active Member

It's the suspense that gets me.

5. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    We don't watch horror stuff because it gives me nightmares and causes depression. Some of the old black and white Alfred Hitchcock movies I do enjoy, except for The Birds and Psyco. They are more like murder mysteries and most of them teach an ironic lesson.

I do think it's important to be careful about what we put in our minds. Satan is so deceptive. If he can get us to laugh at or enjoy watching others sin, (even on tv)he knows we're just a stone's throw from committing that sin ourselves. I once heard that what we tolerate, our children will accept. What we accept, we will eventually practice.

6. donnA

donnA Active Member

The Birds is not a murder mystery. No one murders anyone, the only mystery is why the birds are acting the way are. And I'm not likely to go around killing anyone just becasue I saw it on tv. Otherwise we couldn't watch most everything on tv or movies if we were likely to go and do whatever sin might be invloved. Of course we could never go around people who sin as we might give approval and go about committing their sin.

7. Joe

Joe New Member

Apples and Oranges. It's impossible to live in this world and not interact with sinners.

We do not need to go out of our way to purchase a television set, turn the channel, sit down and enjoy watching people torture one another.

8. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's not what I was saying. Here's what I'm getting at: Some of the horror movies involve satanic elements, ghosts, speaking to the dead, etc. I can watch a funny movie like "Topper" or "Topper Returns" which are about a man named Topper, who sees and talks to a beautiful, witty ghost. The movie is enjoyable and hilarious in parts. The problem is that it made me laugh at something that is contrary to scripture. Why should I enjoy seeing a ghost haunt people? Why should I watch a man talk to the spirit of a dead person when in the old testament God ordered those with "familiar spirits" to be put to death? I think satan wants us to become desensitized to evil so it doesn't bother us anymore.

The Lord convicted me for watching what I thought was an innocent, funny movie. Others may not feel this way and that is fine. I'm not judging anyone who isn't bothered by ghost movies.

9. Jason Derksen

Jason Derksen New Member

Sounds to me like you have a prety good hadle on keeping your mind pure.

God Bless You,
    Jason Derksen

10. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

RE: Is it a sin to watch horror movies?

I have to agree with you, Brother, on this one. I used to watch movies that I now wish I had never saw. Satan uses these whenever he tries to tempt me. If I had never saw these movies, I would not have these images thrown at me by satan...his fiery darts, so to speak. This is not found in the scriptures, but what does this mean? An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. I don't think it's necessaryily(sp?) a sin, but be ready to fight satan. He will use things like this against us. May God bless!!

Willis

11. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Aliens from outer space comeing to earth with a "manly" appetite----now, we know that junk can't happen----I've watched my share in days gone by---but now I consider those movies a waste of good money---I mean, you can pay your money to go see them---whatever----but there's lots of stuff I find I can spend my money on thats more enlightening to the mind.

Satanic stuff----the word from the Word will tell us not to introduce that into our minds---because its real---we cannot be invaded upon from outer space---but we can be invaded upon from "spiritual" space

12. donnA

donnA Active Member

Joe, I do not watch movies of people torturing one another, as I have previously stated in this thread. Movies such as Saw, Hostel and Tourista(sp?) are simply off limits for me.

13. Sopranette

Sopranette New Member

I guess I'm a little jaded when it comes to movies. It's all special effects, none of it is at all real to me. Some do make for good story lines, though.

love,

Sopranette

14. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

It depends on the movie.

i wouldn't let my kids go see horror movies today, but that doesn't stop us from watching old horror movies, which are so much different than the ones today.

Scary movies should be scary, not just gross.

Basically, what I believe it all boils down to is, if it's going to cause you to sin or your participation is going to cause a weaker brother or sister to stumble, don't do it.

I find that works for most situations.

15. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

My son wanted to see I Am Legend

After my wife got her head together with another mom and reviewed the movie on Focus on The Family-----we discovered several parts in the movie are not suitable to see

It has always been our committment as dad and mom to our children not to see anything R rated nor movies that have satanic influence(Harry Potter) or horror/maiming of human beings either by another human or by aliens from outer space---ex. Alien vs Terminator, etc

16. Beth

Beth New Member

our conviction also

PHP:
    After my wife got her head together with another mom and reviewed the movie on Focus on The Family-----we discovered several parts in the movie are not suitable to see

It has always been our committment 
    as dad and mom to our children not to see anything R rated nor movies that have satanic influence(Harry Potter) or horror/maiming of human beings either by another human or by aliens from outer space---exAlien vs Terminatoretc
    This is our conviction as well.

17. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

Its amazing to see how the Church moves insidiously towards the world. When I first joined this board back in 2001 the question was " Is it OK for Christians to watch movies"? Now it is "Is it OK for Christians to watch Horror movies"?
    I wonder what the question will be next year?:tear:

18. drwthohh

drwthohh New Member

My sentiments also. :(

19. Marla

Marla New Member

Also my sentiments

20. standingfirminChrist

PHP:
    As a childI liked the old black and white horror
    movies
    .  The ones of today are too gory and mostly
    full of filth
    .  I would not recommend any of today's
    horror movies when I was a child... that is for sure.

As a Christian, I don'
    t watch the horror movies any more.  
    There are more edifying things to do.