1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Are ministry leaders on your Church Board?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by piaairline, Apr 20, 2006.

1. piaairline

piaairline New Member

Hello! Our church is small but growing. One of the things that we are stuck recently is the inclusion/exclusion of the ministry leaders on the Church Board. Specifically, we are confused about whether leaders from the children ministry, student ministry and family ministry shoud be on the Church Board. Please share you experience and help us to clear the confusion. Thank you [​IMG]

2. rbell

rbell Active Member

What does your church board do? How does it function? How you answer this dictates how I would answer your question...

3. piaairline

piaairline New Member

The church board decides on major issues pertaining to the church events, finance, evangelical events, outreach, fellowships, children ministry, youth ministry, Sunday school ministry. Are these helpful?

4. rbell

rbell Active Member

If the board has a say on issues such as children's ministry or youth ministry, it would only seem right to have some leadership from those areas represented.

5. PJ

PJ Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Our church council is comprised of department directors. We discuss topics and make suggestions in the areas you've mentioned, then take them to the monthly business meeting for possible action. We don't have a "board." Hope this helps ...

6. donnA

donnA Active Member

We don't have a board. Each ministry has a leader and they report to the pastor and deacons,and at the business meetings. Some of the ministries have chosen to have council, like parent council for the youth ministry.

7. rbell

rbell Active Member

You'll find a multiplicity of ways to "do church" here on this board. But, I always feel that those who have a passion and giftedness, and are recognized by the church as leaders in a particular area, should be allowed to lead.

That's why I would lean toward putting leadership from youth & children's ministry on the particular church's church council.

I tend to get nervous when people without my giftedness, passion, and experience are "running" the ministry that I'm in charge of.

It sounds to me like the leaders from this church's student & children's ministry should be on the council.

8. donnA

donnA Active Member

I just love this, we should mail this to everyone!

9. piaairline

piaairline New Member

Thank you rbell for pointing out the need of gifts, passion and experience for running the ministry! Question:

What about someone who is gifted and experience, but disagree with the Pastor on many issues? (The pastor is on the Church Board and every committees)

Thank you.

10. StraightAndNarrow

StraightAndNarrow Active Member

Your church is small but you have:

1) A Pastor

2) Minister of Music (?)

3) Children's Minister

4) Student Minister

5) Family Minister

Just curious as to what you call small.

11. piaairline

piaairline New Member

It's 150 small comparable to many of the churches mentioned here? I thought so...

12. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

piaairline said:
    Then you have a problem. Our deacons operate under the philosophy that the pastor is the one who must give account to God. Therefore, he gets the benefit of the doubt. If the deacons propose something and the pastor doesn't think it's a good idea, it doesn't get done.

On the other hand, a perceptive pastor who detects deacon reluctance toward something he wants to do will think twice before ramming it through, even if the deacons are willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.