1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Are Mission Boards Biblical

Discussion in 'Evangelism, Missions & Witnessing' started by Salty, Nov 15, 2021.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    In another thread Old Regular stated:
    You mentioned that the church should not establish a mission board
    Is there a difference between a church sponsored mission board and an independent mission board?

If I understand correctly -Hardshells do not use mission boards at all.
    If that is correct - than what kind of assistance can the missionary family expect on the field.

Granted - in the time of Paul - going to point B was no problem
    But in this day and age - with international borders - political unrests, financial concerns, ect, ect, ect.
    I see the assistance of a mission board invaluable. From training about the country he would go to, assisting in financial needs, and being accountable for finances, ect, ect

2. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    As I understand it they look to a natural planting of churches across the geographic areas. So, a church within reach of the Mexican border would look south to daughter off a church.

3. old regular

old regular Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The early Baptist that came to America likewise had no Missionary Boards, they were used of God to establish Churches throughout the land. We have Elders overseas that felt led by the Spirit to go there and they did, some received help from their home church members. We have had brothers who came to this country, joined a Primitive Baptist Church and went back home as an ordained minister, preached the gospel back in their Native Country and established churches.

4. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    IIRC, the first Baptist Mission Board was founded in the late 1780s to send William Carey to India. The boards were initially focused on supporting workers to the foreign field (India). In the US, home mission boards organized to support workers on the frontier.

5. old regular

old regular Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    In the region where I am from the Baptist Churches were started by itinerant ministers. My Ancestors came from the Roaring River Church in North Carolina in 1781 and established the Indian Bottom Church in 1810 the Sandlick was an arm from the Indian Bottom1815 { Elder James Caudill, Elder James Webb, Stephen Caudill} This was the pattern as far back as we have the History . I have no knowledge of any Old School Baptist Churches being established by a Missionary Board. You may call Elders like Daniel Williams, Simeon Justice, William Saulsberry, Electious Thompson , Wilson Thompson , Squire Boone , Elijah Craig and such like '' Missionaries '' but they established Congregations using a Circuit Ride method. I have read in the History of a'' Board of Foreign Missions'' established on May 10th, 1845 and a ''North American Mission of 1874'' . There were donations which were made by some of the earlier Associations but they latter recanted participation in these new inventions Mission Boards , Sunday Schools {by donation and letters} these Boards were unknow in early Apostolic Times. The New Salem Association a large cluster of Churches and all her Correspondence declared a non fellowship , with Mission Boards, Sunday Schools, Auxiliaries, Secret Societies . They however expanded and had many large Churches among them. Frank Masters wrote them off, but his numbers were wrong. There are Old School Baptist . Missionary Boards have continued to be an item for debate among Baptist up to the current time period.

#5 old regular, Nov 25, 2021 at 5:31 AM
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2021 at 8:00 AM