1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Are Mormons Biblical Christians?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by steaver, Mar 25, 2012.

1. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Where did CHristianLady go? Did she quit the board already? I was hoping to help her understand Mormons here.

2. billwald

billwald New Member

>Far be it from me to be down on Christian Rock. I was weened on Petra.

"The message is in the medium."

3. billwald

billwald New Member

"As a retired Christian minister I've never ceased to be amazed at the number of worshiping Christians who do not know, or who are confused by, anything other than the basic generalities of their faith. Once you start speaking about any doctrine in depth, many Christians get left behind.

"Maybe that's true too of those who worship within the LDS. Many Christians and Many Mormons have so little in depth knowledge that they are unaware of the differences.

"Of course, those who feel so strongly about their faith that they register on a Christian forum will have a more in depth knowledge, but in my experience your 'average' worshiper has a really deep faith but not so deep doctrinal knowledge.

EXCELLENT OBSERVATIONS!!!!!!!!

Would God send such a person to Hell because they were fooled by the LDS even if the loved (our) God and wanted to be a good neighbor?

4. billwald

billwald New Member

>Is there such a thing as one person being more unsaved than the other?

Interesting question. Yes, if regeneration temporally precedes conversion.

> Obama is certainly not a Christian.

Bible teaches that we should not judge another man's servant. Obama is a servant of the people who bought and paid him. Bible also teaches that Christians are to avoid politics, to stay out of civil courts, and to only judge people with whom we fellowship.

5. ChristianLady1978

ChristianLady1978 New Member

Hi everyone! And thanks for the PM steaver. I had no idea you created this thread. Thanks! :) I fear that my response will be long-winded and I apologize in advance.

Can't this be said of any Christian denomination? Methodist? Baptist? Catholic? Which one is the gospel that was preached to the Galatians?

I'll gladly share my story of how I joined the LDS church. I was 17 at the time and started dating a Mormon guy that I went to school with. I knew nothing about the Mormon church other than what my fellow non-Mormons had told me. They claimed it was a cult, that the members worshipped Joseph Smith, that they weren't Christians, etc. I decided to find out for myself. I also was very unhappy with my own search for "the one true church" after having difficult finding answers to questions that confused me. (And yes, many of these questions remain unanswered...) Several of my classmates were Mormon and I showed up at their church on a Wednesday night to sit in on a service and see what they preached. I was pleasantly surprised when they started reading passages right out of the KJV of the Bible! (I had attended Baptist churches for most of my life and had been taught that the KJV is the only version we should be using, so to see these people using the KJV version of the Bible impressed me from the start.) From that hour I spent there, I learned that they prayed to God just like I did. They read the Bible just like I did. After that class was over, I asked another girl there from school where I could learn more. She put me in touch with the two sister missionaries that we had at the time. I obtained my parents' permission and started taking their discussions (or being taught by the missionaries).

The sisters were great! Every question I ever had was able to be answered by them! They explained how the concept of the Trinity was a false belief held by so many Christians and used the Bible to back that up. They fully explained what happens after someone dies. They explained how Heaven and Hell worked, also using the Bible to back up their beliefs. I started reading the Book of Mormon and found what I read to match what was in the Bible. Maybe this was the place I was supposed to be! Everything made sense finally! Once again, I obtained my parents' permission and was baptized into the LDS church on September 16, 1996, a few months before I turned 18.

After being baptized into the church, I quickly was assimilated into the LDS lifestyle. My parents wouldn't let their "home teacher" actually come to the house so I always met my home teacher up at the church. I behaved like a good, Mormon girl. The boy I was dating and I split up, but we remained friends and I continued to attend the church.

After I turned 18, that's when things started to go downhill for me in the LDS church. At 18 I was an adult now. Adult Mormon women are supposed to get married and start having kids. Well, I was 18 and had dreams of going to college, getting a degree, and teaching music in a high school. Word of this got back to our bishop and he called me into his office and asked me if I would be interested in attending the Singles Ward. The Singles Ward was an LDS service for young, single Mormons to meet, fall in love, and get married. I wasn't interested and let him know that I would be going to college 2 hours away from there and it didn't make sense to go there. I told him I wanted to get my degree and teach for a while before getting married and that I had no interest in having children at this time. He then said, "Well, the Lord has asked me to extend a calling for you to work in the church Nursery." If you were given a calling, you accepted no matter what. I was very unhappy about it. I didn't want to be stuck with a bunch of Kids 18 months old and younger for 2 hours every Sunday! I stuck with it for a few months but then just stopped going. Technically I am still a member of the LDS church. I never called headquarters in Salt Lake City to have my name removed from the membership records.

John 10:5 says "And a stranger will they not follow, but will flee from him: for they know not the voice of strangers." How does that connect to the topic? I am genuinely confused on that one.

Shodan, I will definitely have to check out the links that you posted tonight. Thanks for them!

Hi Bill. Can you please share these creeds for me?

I'm here now! Sorry it took so long. I didn't even know this thread was here.

6. Moriah

Moriah New Member

Those religions can teach false DOCTRINES, but the Mormon religion teaches ANOTHER GOSPEL. Methodists, Baptists, and Catholics are using the same Books and Letters about the same people and places. They are about the same disciples, accounts, and places. HOWEVER, the Mormons gospel is about different people, places, and accounts all together, it is another gospel. Mormons preach about all sorts of things that are not in the gospel of Jesus Christ in Israel.

Apostle Paul says even if we or an angel from heaven should preach a gospel other than the one we preached to you, let him be eternally condemned. Joseph Smith says an angel named Moroni gave him the other testament. What did Paul say? Paul said even if an angel preached another gospel.

Read the Bible. Check on everything with the Bible anything anyone tries to teach you, if it is not in the Bible then do NOT believe it.

Trust God’s Word as written in the Holy Bible about Jesus and his disciples in Israel. Read the Bible, get Jesus’ teaching and obey them, and remember, the word of God says those preaching another gospel let them be eternally condemned.

Repent aloud that you want God to forgive you through Jesus Christ for following a false religion. Call on the name of the Lord to save you.

7. ChristianLady1978

Have no fear about my salvation, Moriah. I don't go to the Mormon church anymore and haven't for many, many years. But I do still believe the things they believe which can be backed up by the Bible.

8. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

The Jesus they worship is not the Jesus of the Bible, but a Jesus that is a created being. Jesus was not created. He is God, the Creator of the world. The Mormons do not believe this.

Not believing that Christ is deity, they also deny the trinity, another essential Christian doctrine.

They also believe that our Almighty, Creator, God, infinite, from everlasting to everlasting was once a man like you or I. That is blasphemy.

The Book of Mormon says that Christ was born in Jerusalem. He wasn't. He was born in Bethlehem. For such an obvious mistake we know that the book was not an inspired book; not given by God.

These are just a very few of the very important things about the Mormon religion that are heretical. Their Jesus is not the Jesus of the Bible.

9. Moriah

Moriah New Member

What things do you believe as they believe?

10. ChristianLady1978

The Trinity is one of those subjects that I've never been able to comprehend. How can God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit be the same being? If that's the case wouldn't that change Christianity from monotheism to polytheism?

For example, the Bible states that when a man and a woman are married, that they "become one flesh". Genesis 2:24 states, "Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh." That doesn't mean that he ceases to be himself and she ceases to be herself, but that they are united together in a partnership. They are still two separate people though, each with their own thoughts and ideas.

The Bible also shows that God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit are three separate beings. this is clear to me when I was Matthew 3:16-17. "And Jesus, when he was baptized, went up straightway out of the water: and, lo, the heavens were opened unto him, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove, and lighting upon him: And lo a voice from heaven, saying, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased. It clearly shows God being in the Heavens, Jesus in the water, and the Holy Spirit descending upon Jesus. God didn't say, "This is myself, in whom I am well pleased" did he? So I ask you good people, how is it possible for the Trinity to be real? It can't. I believe that God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit are three separate beings who all work together for the common good.

If I am wrong, please someone explain it to me in a way that will make sense. I've been trying to understand this for 30+ years now and still don't get it.

#50 ChristianLady1978, Apr 2, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2012
  11. Moriah

Moriah New Member

It is not so hard to understand. God came as a man.

12. ChristianLady1978

I believe that God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit are three separate beings (see Matthew 3:16-17).

I believe that Jesus died on the cross to give the gift of salvation to everyone.

I believe that there are three different levels of Heaven (see I Corinthians 15:40-41).

I believe in Purgatory/Spirit Prison where the unsaved will go after death and have the opportunity to hear the gospel one final time (I Peter 3:18-19).

13. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

There are many things in the Bible hard to understand, such as the trinity. We accept them by faith even if we don't completely understand them. A finite mind can never comprehend an infinite God. There is, and always will be one God.

Isaiah 43:10 Ye are my witnesses, saith the LORD, and my servant whom I have chosen: that ye may know and believe me, and understand that I am he: before me there was no God formed, neither shall there be after me.
    Isaiah 43:11 I, even I, am the LORD; and beside me there is no saviour.
    --There is only one God.
    But God is a trinity: God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit.

1 John 5:7 For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one.

The Father of course is God.
    Jesus claimed to be God.
    John 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
    John 1:14 And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.

The Holy Spirit is God.
    Acts 5:1-2 But a certain man named Ananias, with Sapphira his wife, sold a possession, And kept back part of the price, his wife also being privy to it, and brought a certain part, and laid it at the apostles' feet.
    Acts 5:3 But Peter said, Ananias, why hath Satan filled thine heart to lie to the Holy Ghost, and to keep back part of the price of the land?
    Acts 5:4 Whiles it remained, was it not thine own? and after it was sold, was it not in thine own power? why hast thou conceived this thing in thine heart? thou hast not lied unto men, but unto God.
    --Ananias lied to the Holy Spirit, and then Peter said he lied to God. The Holy Spirit is God. The Father, the Son, and the Spirit are all called God, and yet there is only one God.
    That is true enough. It is a physical illustration, but God is spirit. It is harder to understand spiritual things.
    This is a very good example of the trinity. Remember there is only one God. But here at the baptism of Jesus we have all three persons of the trinity manifest: the Father as he speaks from heaven, the Spirit in the form of a dove, and the Son come in the flesh. They are three, and yet one. Here is the one place in Scripture where they have manifested themselves in a more or less physical way. Each person has separate functions within the trinity. They are co-equal, co-eternal. For 33 years Christ confined himself to a human body. He was God in the flesh--fully God and fully man at the same time. This, the Mormons would never believe.
    I hope I have made some sense. There are probably others that can explain it better than I.

14. Moriah

Moriah New Member

You said you believe as they believe. Therefore, are you saying you do not believe that Jesus is God in the flesh? Do you believe Adam came back alive and impregnated Mary?
    Matthew 3:16-17 does not disprove that Jesus is God in the flesh.
    1 Corinthians 15:40-41 is not about the levels of heaven that the Mormons believe. Do you believe in the levels of heaven that the Mormons believe?
    Do you believe that a man and woman who get married in the temple, and do not divorce will be together in heaven to make spirit babies? Do you believe that men can own their own planet and be a god on their planet?
    What I am asking is if you denounce all the Mormon’s teachings that are not in the Bible?

15. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    THanks for sharing on this subject Courtney. I pray you will not get offended when board members try to help you see that the Mormons do not hold the same salvation doctrines as those who have come to understand that Jesus is God the Son.

One of the clearest examples of a person being saved is found in the gospel of John. Thomas had doubted that Jesus had risen from the dead and refused to believe unless he personally seen Him and touched Him. What you want to note is what Thomas said when He realized everything Jesus had taught before them before His death was truth, one of those truths was that He was "I Am" (God).

"The other disciples therefore said unto him, We have seen the Lord. But he said unto them, Except I shall see in his hands the print of the nails, and put my finger into the print of the nails, and thrust my hand into his side, I will not believe.....(John 20:25)

"And after eight days again his disciples were within, and Thomas with them: [then] came Jesus, the doors being shut, and stood in the midst, and said, Peace [be] unto you....(26)

"Then saith he to Thomas, Reach hither thy finger, and behold my hands; and reach hither thy hand, and thrust [it] into my side: and be not faithless, but believing....(27)

"And Thomas answered and said unto him, My Lord and my God....
    (28)

It's not that we can comprehend a Trinity God, but rather that we accept what the bible says about God and not try to explain it away because it is hard to understand. Thomas accepted that Jesus was God!

16. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The reason this is so significant is the scriptures teach us that God is a Jealous God and commands that we have NO OTHER GODS before Him!

"I [am] the LORD thy God, which have brought thee out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage.

Thou shalt have no other gods before me

Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God [am] a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth [generation] of them that hate me; " (Exo 20)

John tells us in chapter 1 verse 1.....

"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God."

That Word, John tells us, was made flesh and dwelt among us. This is Jesus....

"And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth." (14)

All throughout the scriptures you will read where Jesus is worshiped and addressed as God. Jesus never corrects anyone who wants to worship Him as God.

As I said, it may be hard to comprehend a Trinity God but we can accept the clear teaching of the scriptures that God is indeed a Trinity.

Let me ask you a question Courtney, you do worship and praise Jesus, correct? I trust you will say yes. How would you justify worshipping Jesus when God said His glory and praise He will not give to another?

"I [am] the LORD: that [is] my name: and my glory will I not give to another, neither my praise to graven images." (Is 42:8)

17. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

But Jesus clearly said that He and His Father are one. Who is His Father? And in Romans 8:9 the Holy Spirit is referred to as both "the Spirit of God" and "the Spirit of Christ":
    But you are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God dwells in you. Now if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he is not His.

In that case, why did He say in John 10:15:
    “I lay down My life for the sheep.”?​
    Later on in that same chapter, in verses 26 and 27, Hew says to a group of Jews:
    26 "But you do not believe, because you are not of My sheep, as I said to you. 27 My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me.”

I have just looked at the verses you mention, but I cannot see where they say that there are "three different levels of Heaven". Those verses say:
    40 There are also celestial bodies and terrestrial bodies; but the glory of the celestial is one, and the glory of the terrestrial is another. 41 There is one glory of the sun, another glory of the moon, and another glory of the stars; for one star differs from another star in glory.​

I urge you (anyone reading this, not ChristianLady1978 in particular) not to rely on some supposed "second chance" after death to believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and be saved. The bible knows nothing of such a "second chance" - if you look at the context of 1 Peter 3.18-19, you must see that it is addressed to people who already are Christians. It is vitally important to believe on the Lord Jesus Christ in this life

18. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

Regardless of context, and although it may be addressed to Christians, it is talking about people who died long ago, in the days of Noah -- these are the spirits in prison.

I do agree with your last sentence.

19. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

I agree about the days of Noah, Michael. Thanks.

20. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    This is when you should have realized those saying the LDS is a cult were exactly right! This is imposing control over a person and it is antichrist. First, the man lied and said, "The Lord asked". Second, by this time you have been in the cult long enough to have perfectly understood that you do not go against the cult leadership when they say they speak on behalf of God.

I see it didn't take to long for them to get you conditioned to this point of fear, only about a year or so, correct?