1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Are non fundamentalists unsaved?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Dale-c, Apr 24, 2008.

1. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

I think the term "fundamentalist" is one of the most misused words in Christianity today (not to be confused with Christianity Today)

If being a fundamentalist means that you hold to the basic, fundamental beliefs of the Bible and CHristianity, then to deny those doctrine is to deny the faith.

I don't think you can be a Christian without being a true fundamentalist.

And before someone starts accusing me of questioning other people salvation, I doubt any poster here would deny the basic doctrine of the faith.

2. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I find this reasoning a bit specious.

I, respectfully, disagree here too. We aren't called to knowledge but faith. There is a cogent difference between faith and intellectual assent. The thief on the cross didn't need to recite a catechism to get into Heaven.

3. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You seem to have completely missed what was said in the op.

4. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

That's an inadequate definition of fundamentalist. A fundamentalist is not just someone who holds to the fundamentals, but also someone who, in the words of Curtis Lee Laws, does "battle royal" for them.

The idea of fundamentals is that they are the load-bearing doctrines, without which Christianity ceases to exist, so this is probably correct. We should however draw a distinction between repudiation of a doctrine, and simple ignorance of it. Not knowing the virgin birth, or not knowing the ramifications of it is not the same as repudiating it. A true believer might do the former in ignorance. A true believer cannot do the latter.

5. Bible-boy

Bible-boy Active Member

Before answering the question I think we had better be specific about what you mean when you say "fundamentalist" and/or "the fundamentals of the faith." Different people define those terms in vastly different ways. For example some would say that the fundamentals of the faith include things like: no long hair on men, no short hair on women, women not allowed to wear slacks, KJVO, and other stuff. Others would say the fundamentals of the faith are limited to about five things (the virgin birth of Christ, death, burial and resurrection of Christ, the miracles of Christ, the return of Christ, and the deity of Christ).

#5 Bible-boy, Apr 24, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2008
  6. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

Faith requires knowledge. There must be something to be believed.

7. sag38

sag38 Active Member

While I believe in the fundamentals of the faith I would not call myself a fundamentalist. There will be no fundamentalists in heaven. There will only be Christians.

8. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

Are you intending to suggest that fundamentalists aren't saved?

9. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

A liberal friend of mine once described me as conservative, but not fundamentalist, because, he said, "Tom's not mad at anybody."

10. dan e.

dan e. New Member

That is funny.

11. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

It's also an unfortunate misrepresentation. I know a lot of fundamentalists and none of them are made at anyone.

12. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

Faith in what? Faith without knowlege is no faith at all.
    Doesn't mean you need a Thd in order to be saved but some basic knowledge is required.

This is true. When I was saved as a child, I didn't even understand what a virgin was.

13. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

It isn't so much a misrepresentation as a mislable.
    These people are not really fundamentalists but angry extremists.

14. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

I think the principle is the same either way.
    Some people actually think that you must use the KJV to be saved.
    So to them, even though they are wrong, it truly is a fundamental, something that is required for that person to be saved.

15. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

Who are fundamentalists then if everyone can define what that means? Are fundamentalists those who define themselves to be fundamentalists? Actually, I think that's true.

16. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

That is just what the problem is today....no one can agree on what a fundamentalist is.

I would say that classic fundamentalism, which I understand was in response to liberalism, is what true fundamentalism is.
    And these are the doctrines that can't be denied.

I would say those who say music style or bible versions are fundamentals are not truly Biblical fundamentalists.

17. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

Many years ago, I was what I consider to be fundamentalist. Over the years, I have seen the error of my earlier way of thinking. So, if I can't be a Christian without being a fundamentalist, does that negate the salvation I received in those early years? And is a fundamentalist always a biblical literalist? I have my belief on these things, but they are points to ponder, are they not?

18. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

Don't know why this double posted. Edited to remove duplicate post.

19. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Remember this is a comment by a liberal about a fundamentalist. Is this a surprise? He's making fun of them. He has no use for conservatives either, but because we're friends he's taking the sting out of it for me.

I took it as a joke, anyway.

20. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I told you on another thread that Fundamentalism is not just believing the Fundamentals. Historically it also means standing and fighting for them. I gave as an example the fact that Billy Graham and Francis Schaeffer deliberately rejected the term Fundamentalist. You ignored me then. (That's fine, I can take it.)

However, now you have started a thread saying that many misuse the term. I say that you here are misusing the term. Are you at all familiar with the development of New Evangelicalism in the 1950's, kicked off by the news release of Harold John Ockenga? The controversy concerning the 1957 New York Billy Graham Crusade? If not, you don't know anything about the history of the movement. So for you to try to define the term is useless.