1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Are Parts of Paul's Writing "Uninspired"?

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Dr. Bob, Jul 14, 2003.

1. ScottEmerson

ScottEmerson Active Member

As Baptist Believer said, the translators are not inspired - Paul was.

Let's say that I wrote you a letter tomorrow. Another person tries to translate it into Yiddish. Unfortunately, some English words may be a little difficult to translate. For example, I write "Let's hang out sometime" and it comes out fater being translated "Let's commit suicide together." Kind of a silly (or morbid) example, but the fault wouldn't be in the original author, but in the translator.

In the same way, there are many different ways to translate the Bible. There are literally hundreds if not thousands of langauges that people translate the BIble to, all from the original Greek. I do believe that they do the best that they can. Sometimes, though, they mess up. After all, we're ALL human. I believe that the translation of "diakonos" as "servant" does not do justice to the intent of Paul when he wrote the book of Romans due to the plain meaning of the Greek word.

2. Bro. Jeff

Bro. Jeff New Member

Absolutely. It's clear from the text that he isn't citing a clear teaching by the Lord but is rather giving instruction from what the Holy Spirit within him is saying to the church.

Any other interpretation stretches the context and is more isegesis than ex.