1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Are Sermons Biblical? (L)

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Link, Sep 16, 2007.

1. Link

Link New Member

There are a couple of videos on GodTube that deal with the issue of whether it is Biblical to have one man stand up and preach a sermon at church on Sunday morning, and whether there is any Biblical precedent for the way sermons are organized and preached.

This message may shock, surprise, and educate you. Please watch it and feel free to make comments here.

Part 1
    http://www.godtube.com/view_video.php?viewkey=867380207217d2b5c315

Part 2
    http://www.godtube.com/view_video.php?viewkey=3fe8cb7946318389d455

2. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I haven't seen the videos yet but I wouldn't tell Peter one guy shouldn't hog the show... he sure did at Pentecost.. :laugh: :wavey:

3. Dan V.

Dan V. New Member

So this is a sermon against sermons?

Dan V.

4. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Sermon on the mount? Matt 5-7

Christ's last sermon John 13-17?

5. Link

Link New Member

The 'sermon on the mount' came to be called a sermon in recent centuries. Btw, if you haven't seen the video, you do not know what conclusion I come to.

A 'sermon' today is typically a three-point dialogue with an introduction and a conclusion. I know of no teaching in scripture that uses this organizational method that dates back to the Greek orators, though it is taught in seminaries.

The other issue is whether it is appropriate, in a normal church meeting, to have one long sermon (and that's it) for the ministry of the word. What does the Bible have to say about this? This is a question many people never bother to ask or search the scriptures for. Watch the video to for more info.

6. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

:laugh: :laugh: Reminds me of those who speak against theology...then proceed to theologize! :laugh:

7. Dan V.

Dan V. New Member

Or dismiss the teachings of great men in church history, but want us to read heir commentaries in these posts!

Dan V.

8. donnA

donnA Active Member

if sermons are not biblical then theres a lot of scripture you'll need to get rid of.

9. rbell

rbell Active Member

I was not taught that sermons had to have three points. One might be confusing seminary instruction with Adrian Rogers' methodology.

If someone is to make the argument that "sermons aren't biblical," it's going to make some Scriptures problematic. Even Jesus Himself preached.

Yes, Sermons are biblical.

10. Chemnitz

Chemnitz New Member

He bases all of his conclusions on the passages in 1 Corinthians about corporate worship. He is advocating that everybody should be involved. I think that is saying way too much from too little and it implies that the sermon is the only means of edification. Not to mention he is reading in isolation as other's have pointed out. This error of his is magnified because he seems to be using the approach if it isn't in the Bible it is forbidden.

Also, I didn't learn the three point sermon format either. Although the style that I tend to use is a variation on the three point sermon format. Largely because it is easier for people to follow, but I have used other methods.

11. Link

Link New Member

Judging from the responses, it would seem few if any respondants have bothered to watch the YouTube video.

12. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I watched most of the first one but didn't see the point, it's like saying a modern hymn is not like a Psalm. Does that mean God isn't glorified or the saints not edified?